Chesty Adventures

Matt

Well I can't believe it, but I just bought my kid a new C/A last night.  CCM eFlex Shield 2 to replace his Brians Optik.  This is his fourth chesty since April (fortunately only the 2nd I've had to pay for).  Its been a real journey trying to find something that works for him.  Bit of background, my kids about 5' 10" but he's all arms and legs.  While I haven't measured his wingspan, its probably more in line with someone who is over 6' tall.  This makes fitting off the shelf C/A a bit of a challenge.

Here is what we've had

1.  Bauer 1X.

He loved this one.  Arms are small when compared to the body.  Also there are no arm length adjustments (i.e. stitched in).  crazy decision.  Anyway we bought this one.  He probably needed an extra size up for arms, but the body was getting way too big.  Within about 3 weeks the stitching in the arms was coming off.  Had to return it.

2/3.  Brians Optik 

When we brought the 1X back, the Optiks had just recently been released.  It was love at first site.  By kid loves Brians.  As time progressed he sort of got more and more frustrated with it.  Just could never seem to dial it in.  The more the unit broke in, the more the fit stopped working for him.  We did have one unit with bad stitching but the store replaced it for us no questions asked.

4.  CCM eFlex Shield 2.

I guess I broke down last night.  I got tired of him fussing with the Optik constantly and decided that since he's got a lot practice ice coming up that if we're going to change this that Now is time.  My guy isn't a Premier C/A fan, but he was anxious to try the xFlex unit as he had heard good things.  Local store was pretty picked over size wise.  He tried on a Vaughn, Warrior, Bauer 2S,  CCM Premier.  Ended up just liking the eFlex the best.  Medium was boarder line on the small size for his arms, probably just fit with no room from any growth.  Ended up driving across town to get the last large in town from a sister store.  eFlex seems to have loads of mobility.  A bit lighter.  The Optik pro spec fit was pretty neat, but honestly if you don't have to give those shoulders up...  He looks huge in it compared to what the Optik looks like.

We'll see how it goes.  He doesn't have practice ice until Friday.  Someone is getting a sweet deal on an Optik C/A though.  Thing is just broken in.  My wallet isn't happy about this, but its a big hockey year for him and I don't want him fighting with is gear..

sorry, I guess this was more of a vent than a post ?

17 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Why not go custom thru Passau?  Their stock unit starts at $515 CAD and working with a rep like Tim McCarthy @Tim_TRUEHockey you'd be able to get a unit to suit his style and needs.

Totally agree that if I could go back to April I'd have gone custom.  A little late now though as we need something pretty much right now.  A week from now the season is in full swing.

Live and learn.

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Totally agree that if I could go back to April I'd have gone custom.  A little late now though as we need something pretty much right now.  A week from now the season is in full swing.

Live and learn.

If you can hold out a week or two John Brown does full custom units.  His turn around time is insanely quick. I paid on Jul 30 and it was shipped August 13th.  Or Passau.  

yeah, I should have asked here before buying but I really didn't want to wait any longer.

On a side note about this.  I broke out the tape measure last night.  He's 5'10", his wing span is a shade under 6'5".  No wonder fitting was such a mess...

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

yeah, I should have asked here before buying but I really didn't want to wait any longer.

On a side note about this.  I broke out the tape measure last night.  He's 5'10", his wing span is a shade under 6'5".  No wonder fitting was such a mess...

Jeebus! Those dimensions would make the Vitruvian man's head explode!

Archived