Dropout's 18/19 season

Hockey School Dropout

12 hours ago, Fullright said:

I understand, HSD. Try and think of it this way: he's unaware, probably cant keep up with the play, and he's not shooting at you. 

IMO he's one of those "refs" who goes out for a skate and gets paid for it.  The saddest part is, these guys are an upgrade over the officials we had last year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refs are a constant battle in most leagues, If you focus on them, then you're not focusing on stopping pucks. As for the puck drop, you need to let your center know not to step in if you're not ready. It didn't amount to anything anyway, so let it go and stop the next one. The next one is always the most important save you'll make.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, old but slow said:

Refs are a constant battle in most leagues, If you focus on them, then you're not focusing on stopping pucks. As for the puck drop, you need to let your center know not to step in if you're not ready. It didn't amount to anything anyway, so let it go and stop the next one. The next one is always the most important save you'll make.

Agreed, however the refs are also there to guarantee safety of the players (as much as they can).  If the winger had his glove off would they drop the puck still?  Probably not.  A quick look to both ends to make sure everyone is properly equipped would suffice.  If I take too long, talk to me at the next whistle in my end and I'll be quicker.  Point is, don't be a lazy ass ref who is only there to collect a quick buck - have some pride in what you do.

2 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Agreed, however the refs are also there to guarantee safety of the players (as much as they can).  If the winger had his glove off would they drop the puck still?  Probably not.  A quick look to both ends to make sure everyone is properly equipped would suffice.  If I take too long, talk to me at the next whistle in my end and I'll be quicker.  Point is, don't be a lazy ass ref who is only there to collect a quick buck - have some pride in what you do.

This must be something new as the only time the refs every look to me before dropping the puck is at the beginning of a period. Have been told multiple times be different refs that if the center is in position, the puck drops. I've learned my lessons the hard way having to deal with breakaways while my blocker and stick lay across the top of the net (if you find yourself in this situation I recommend putting your barehand behind your back to prevent yourself from making a reactionary save on the blocker side.). 

Any who, my previous point was to focus on the things you can control( make the next save) and not on the things you can't( deuchebag refs trying to make it home to watch the 4th quarter of the Patriots game).

And yes, they will drop the puck if the wingers gloves are off.... but not if the wingers chin strap is unfastened...rules is rules

• 2 weeks later...

Gary: Agree with both leftys above (as am I!) You played well - especially liked how you didn't cheat on the 2:0!

While it didn't happen all the time, and it wasn't all of them - too many times your D was coasting to expect a win (prime example a 2:0 in league play). The fact you close enough to warrant a goalie pull speaks to your game.

I am going to make up some sort of single-key macro to write a comment about D coasting, because there are so many times I watch user videos on this forum and have to make that comment!!!!😩

Thanks for the encouragement folks.  Sometimes I feel like I'm alone on an island and I'm the reason we're on a winless streak.  But after the last game in the locker room and guys are saying they "didn't play that badly" I no longer feel it's solely my fault.  Could I stop a few more pucks?  Likely.  But letting guys be free around the net, walk down the middle of the ice or be allowed to screen me untouched?  That is not my department.

At least this year I'm pretty healthy and can continue after a little break.  Last year at this time I was descending into 4 months of sciatica and was off the ice.  

I have been editing the remainder of my videos from last season (they are in the Dropout's 2017 thread) and I feel like I was moving better then, but my awareness and positioning are better now.  If you feel like taking a look and making a comparison, be my guest.  :)

Sciatica is the least of things you've overcome, Gary. I disagree about the year over year comparison. You're stronger on your skates now and better balanced. "didn't play that badly"...pshaw. You were really good; game should have been over in the 1st period. I wish skaters would spend a few mins looking at film. They might actually learn to pick up their man,  move their feet rather than letting their man go and doing the coast job Mr. C is talking about, and not tell their goalie he "wasn't that bad". Never underestimate a skater's ability for self-delusion. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived