1st game of ice hockey tm- super nervous

Max27

6 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Breathe and have fun. Know that whilst you ARE the very last line of defense, most goals start due to bad forechequing and defensemen acting like pylons.

thanks. try to just relax before i play and what not. dont wanna go into a game uncomfortable

Focus on only what you can control and change:  Preparation,  gear, choices, and reactions to things.

You can't control or change the offense, defense,  number of shots, skill of skaters, refs, etc. 

Focus on you .  The most important save of the game is the next one, regardless of anything else.

Before every game I tell myself:

Stay present,  stay calm, stay tall, stay symmetrical. Focus on right now and the next save.

I find it helps to have self-pep talks and remind myself of fundamentals. I've also learned to laugh at myself when I screw up and remind myself that the worst night playing hockey is better than most nights not playing.

Best of luck to you.

I'd say Have Fun, but sometimes that's impossible if you're not in control of yourself. 

So, stay in control.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Focus on only what you can control and change:  Preparation,  gear, choices, and reactions to things.

You can't control or change the offense, defense,  number of shots, skill of skaters, refs, etc. 

Focus on you .  The most important save of the game is the next one, regardless of anything else.

Stay present,  stay calm, stay tall, stay symmetrical. Focus on right now and the next save.

I find it helps to have self-pep talks and remind myself of fundamentals. I've also learned to laugh at myself when I screw up and remind myself that the worst night playing hockey is better than most nights not playing.

Best of luck to you.

I'd say Have Fun, but sometimes that's impossible if you're not in control of yourself. 

So, stay in control.

@Max27- seagoal has solid advice here, as well!

My advice from 30 years ago would be different, I pretty well was a “win at all costs bloke” as I was trying HARD to get into the minor leagues (and maybe the NHL). Trying to make my mark in cycling and multisport (tri and duathlon) as an adult and realising my genetic ATM for athletic talent was overdrawn probably helped me chill when it comes to this stuff; reuniting with the world of ice hockey six years ago after my realisation was the BEST thing EVER, and I have had a WHALE of a good time (better than I did since I played in highschool)!!!! Had I not worried about making upper tiers of juniors and into the minors, I would have enjoyed hockey SO MUCH MORE!!!

Enjoy yourself and LEARN to enjoy yourself! Don’t be nervous!!!!

20 hours ago, seagoal said:

Best of luck to you.

So, stay in control.

18 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

@Max27- seagoal has solid advice here, as well!

My advice from 30 years ago would be different, I pretty well was a “win at all costs bloke” as I was trying HARD to get into the minor leagues (and maybe the NHL). Trying to make my mark in cycling and multisport (tri and duathlon) as an adult and realising my genetic ATM for athletic talent was overdrawn probably helped me chill when it comes to this stuff; reuniting with the world of ice hockey six years ago after my realisation was the BEST thing EVER, and I have had a WHALE of a good time (better than I did since I played in highschool)!!!! Had I not worried about making upper tiers of juniors and into the minors, I would have enjoyed hockey SO MUCH MORE!!!

Enjoy yourself and LEARN to enjoy yourself! Don’t be nervous!!!!

11 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Just remember, every goal you let in is your fault.

...have fun ?

4 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Have fun, stretch a bunch, make sure you are well hydrated.

Focus on stopping the first shot, everything else is on your defense.

4 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Honestly, when you wake up tomorrow, first thing you should think about is the game, think about the saves you’re gonna make. When you’re out there, never EVER worry about not playing your best, just worry about making the next save. Good luck! 

4 hours ago, loki1416 said:

Relax is the biggest thing. You've played deck hockey, you understand how the game is played. If you stay relaxed, you won't get overwhelmed. Who cares if a puck or two get by you? No one. Shake it off and get focused on the next shot.

Above all, have fun with it!

thanks everyone. split the game in half w my goalie partner and we both gave up 2 but won 6-4. got super nervous before the game but i didnt let it get to me and just went in and did what i could do

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

You did what you could and you WON!!!!

Good onya mate!!!!

thanks!:)

2 hours ago, loki1416 said:

Nice!  Congrats on the first win~

Nerves are fine. Certain games, I still get some. Especially playoff games when I know the other team and that our win or loss will squarely be on me.

yeah i usually am fine after the first game, mainly i get more nervous over joining new teams than playing the actual game

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Awesome. congrats. 

Agreed,  nervous is good.  It means you care and what to succeed and be respected. Just learn to channel the nerves constructively.

Yea i agree

3 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Nice! How are you adjusting to puck vs ball?

very good adjustment, i like it more than ball bc in ball hockey the ball rolls (Obviously) and i tried to play dump in shots a few times and they would bounce over my stick and  go in the net lol.

been practicing on ice since last december so its not like its new to me, and i skate for 4 hours every saturday outside of hockey just to keep getting more comfortable

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the party:

- Remember to have fun; the occasional pad stack during warm ups never hurt anyone.

- Never give up on a save; so often (especially at my level) I watch goalies sit still as the puck goes into the net, a nice slow, drifting puck.

- Your saves don't have to be highlight reel worthy (though sometimes they can be); Try to make the easy save, not the windmill-full-splits-get-shown-on-espn save.

- Don't smash your stick when frustrated; this is probably more just me but I can't buy composite sticks because they break to easily.

- I don't care if I said it already; HAVE FUN!

7 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

right on man!!  keep it up.

:)

7 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

A bit late to the party:

- Remember to have fun; the occasional pad stack during warm ups never hurt anyone.

- Never give up on a save; so often (especially at my level) I watch goalies sit still as the puck goes into the net, a nice slow, drifting puck.

- Your saves don't have to be highlight reel worthy (though sometimes they can be); Try to make the easy save, not the windmill-full-splits-get-shown-on-espn save.

- Don't smash your stick when frustrated; this is probably more just me but I can't buy composite sticks because they break to easily.

- I don't care if I said it already; HAVE FUN!

thanks! i try to have fun when im playing like not stressing much

i have such a habit of smashing my stick tho lol i lost one 12-2 after facing like 6 breakaways and even a 3 on 0 and a kid came in on a breakaway and did a one hand tuck like the link i have right here 

never buying composites 300 dollars for a few months of use tillthey break 

Archived