What's your least important piece of gear?

Lucky Pucker

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, seagoal said:

Corollary question: if you had to choose 1 piece of gear to play without for 1 game, what would it be?

For me: jock.

Hands down. That's where I get hit the least.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:42 PM, seagoal said:

Ha, fair enough.

But, the likelihood of getting hit in the nuts is slim. Most shots come head on, so we're more likely to get hit in the pecker which is way better than the nuts.

It would be horrible,  for sure. But I'll take that probability if I had to choose.

That said, I wouldn't enjoy that choice.

I'm just starting this thread so I have a lot more to read but I had to stop to comment on this.  This might be the most illogical thing I have read on this site.  You do realize that your jock protects more than just your cock and balls, right?  Put your goal pants on without a jock and get down on your knees to simulate being in the butterfly and tell me how much protection there is for your lower belly, crotch area, pubic bone, etc.  I get hit square in the gut below my c/a in the padding of my jock above the cup all the time.  I would never step on the ice without my cup.  WOW lol

55 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm just starting this thread so I have a lot more to read but I had to stop to comment on this.  This might be the most illogical thing I have read on this site.  You do realize that your jock protects more than just your cock and balls, right?  Put your goal pants on without a jock and get down on your knees to simulate being in the butterfly and tell me how much protection there is for your lower belly, crotch area, pubic bone, etc.  I get hit square in the gut below my c/a in the padding of my jock above the cup all the time.  I would never step on the ice without my cup.  WOW lol

I wholeheartedly accept your scorn.  You just be you :)

I also stand by my opinion, which was never : it wouldn't hurt or suck to get hit in the nuts without a cup.  I'd love it!

I never said that.

My claim is that given that that is the piece of equipment, from head to toe, that I get hit in the least, it is logical and makes sense that if I had to choose to play without 1 piece of equipment, that'd be it.

There's no controversy there.  It's reasonable gambling.

49 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Believe me when I say these were not anticipated responses when the original post was conceived. The management regrets any bewilderment that the expression of some members' disregard for their members may have caused.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Believe me when I say these were not anticipated responses when the original post was conceived. The management regrets any bewilderment that the expression of some members' disregard for their members may have caused.

Ha.

Now I'm just dreaming about a lovely vacation

image.png.1ebcc60d794dea5db89f69459e8b66fb.png

image.png.e3fce4af2bfd7f2d19dbb9dab4deee2d.png

image.png.870cdfc7f0b602fe26e1cc431c6c8e52.png

image.png.eb017dc6fa1635d9c41fe2aa2f7d496a.png

image.png.bd91b2431d0d4b760a3f9f54689e7e0f.png

image.png.8c7e046dcd844b9915deed961ba7f6f3.png

Well I no longer have a dangler on my mask and I don't ever wear a mouth guard. The dangler was just too darn annoying to play with so I got rid of it. If I had to play a game without a piece of gear I use I'd not wear knee pads (my thigh wraps are separate mwahaha). @varano You're certainly not wrong there!

47 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I wholeheartedly accept your scorn.  You just be you :)

I also stand by my opinion, which was never : it wouldn't hurt or suck to get hit in the nuts without a cup.  I'd love it!

I never said that.

My claim is that given that that is the piece of equipment, from head to toe, that I get hit in the least, it is logical and makes sense that if I had to choose to play without 1 piece of equipment, that'd be it.

There's no controversy there.  It's reasonable gambling.

I bet you get hit in the gut/crotch a lot more than you think you do.  Sometimes you just don't realize its your cup making the save because its not hitting your nuts.  Do you wear knee pads?  How often do you get hit there?  I bet you can play a game without your knee pads and just never go down in the butterfly and you'll never get hit in the knee.  There.  One game played and your nuts will still be safely behind your jock and your knees safely behind your pads.

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I bet you get hit in the gut/crotch a lot more than you think you do.  Sometimes you just don't realize its your cup making the save because its not hitting your nuts.  Do you wear knee pads?  How often do you get hit there?  I bet you can play a game without your knee pads and just never go down in the butterfly and you'll never get hit in the knee.  There.  One game played and your nuts will still be safely behind your jock and your knees safely behind your pads.

@seagoal + @Max27

I don't get hit in the helmet every game, but any time more than 0 is not worth to leave it exposed. Y'all are crazy that thinking you'd be fine without a cup as you see it as an auxiliary piece of protection.

I'll pay you each $100 to not wear it for a game but I also get to inform the other team you're not wearing it. You'll be singing a different high pitched tune in bloody no time.

56 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@seagoal + @Max27

I don't get hit in the helmet every game, but any time more than 0 is not worth to leave it exposed. Y'all are crazy that thinking you'd be fine without a cup as you see it as an auxiliary piece of protection.

I'll pay you each $100 to not wear it for a game but I also get to inform the other team you're not wearing it. You'll be singing a different high pitched tune in bloody no time.

Haha, you guys are too funny.

I don't think I would be fine without a cup and I would NEVER play without one.

But given the parameters of a silly propositional game: IF you had to play without one piece of equipment, THEN what would it be?

It's a cup.  I get hit there the least. 

No matter what piece you'd choose to play without given this IF/THEN game, it'd be scary and dangerous.

I do wear knee pads and take shots to them very frequently.  They'd be very low on my list in this silly propositional game.

I wear 34+2 Vaughn pads (they're a tad big for me) and never take shots to the knee.

To clarify, this is what I would remove from my goalie gear in this strange game:

bauer-goalie-accessories-elite-padded-kn

I think I'd be fine because I've still got these:

reebok-goalie-leg-pads-xlt-pro-inset6.jpg.526b28be02e60bdd87b842e4b07655ca.jpg

Yes, I have Reebok XLT thigh wraps that I wear over my Bauer Elite knee guards in my Vaughn pads.

32 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I wear 34+2 Vaughn pads (they're a tad big for me) and never take shots to the knee.

To clarify, this is what I would remove from my goalie gear in this strange game:

bauer-goalie-accessories-elite-padded-kn

I think I'd be fine because I've still got these:

reebok-goalie-leg-pads-xlt-pro-inset6.jpg.526b28be02e60bdd87b842e4b07655ca.jpg

Yes, I have Reebok XLT thigh wraps that I wear over my Bauer Elite knee guards in my Vaughn pads.

I have thigh wraps on my pads, too, and wear them over my Warrior Ritual knee pads. 

In fact, my upcoming VE8 pads will have thigh wraps on those, as well.

OK, so back to the spirit of the question, assuming I could wear all of my gear but had to pull something out of the lost and found to replace a piece...then it would be my stick.  For me, I certainly have my preferences but as long as its in one piece and within an inch or two of my preferred size, I can work with it and it won't bother me much.  Anything else would screw with my head too much.  Otherwise, it would be the blocker, I don't see having to use any old blocker as being a game breaker.  Neck guard?  Jock?  Hell no, saved my ass one too many times already.  For those of you never hit there, consider yourselves lucky.  I've had 2 jocks (1 Reebok, 1 Vaughn) break from shot impacts.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@seagoal + @Max27

?

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I should have kept reading before commenting.  Of course Max would voice the same stupid opinion. 

oooof

i wear it every time, i would never play without it, i just havent ever been hit there so it hasnt really provided any use besides protection that as of today has never been needed lol

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Haha, you guys are too funny.

I don't think I would be fine without a cup and I would NEVER play without one.

But given the parameters of a silly propositional game: IF you had to play without one piece of equipment, THEN what would it be?

It's a cup.  I get hit there the least. 

No matter what piece you'd choose to play without given this IF/THEN game, it'd be scary and dangerous.

I do wear knee pads and take shots to them very frequently.  They'd be very low on my list in this silly propositional game.

this is what im trying to say 
@coopaloop1234 @SaveByRichter35 

i havent needed it i just wear it incase i do lol

25 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

OK, so back to the spirit of the question, assuming I could wear all of my gear but had to pull something out of the lost and found to replace a piece...then it would be my stick.  For me, I certainly have my preferences but as long as its in one piece and within an inch or two of my preferred size, I can work with it and it won't bother me much.  Anything else would screw with my head too much.  Otherwise, it would be the blocker, I don't see having to use any old blocker as being a game breaker.  Neck guard?  Jock?  Hell no, saved my ass one too many times already.  For those of you never hit there, consider yourselves lucky.  I've had 2 jocks (1 Reebok, 1 Vaughn) break from shot impacts.

Thank fucking God! Someone found the original question, and thought it worthwhile enough to answer! You da man, @jayluv54

...so the impact breakage... just WOW. But Imagine if it was just your Johnson that had been left alone to protect the twins. 

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Wow. That's a lot of knee protection. 

Yeah.

Honestly, getting hit in the knees is probably the most frightening spot on my whole body, for me. 

I really, really hate that feeling.  One time it made me feel like I was going to vomit it hurt so bad.

Since I've upgraded to Ritual knee pads with the standard Vaughn thigh wraps, it's been awesome.  Got a sneaky one in there once even with the double layer, but it was completely manageable.  Just kinda annoying.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Yeah.

Honestly, getting hit in the knees is probably the most frightening spot on my whole body, for me. 

I really, really hate that feeling.  One time it made me feel like I was going to vomit it hurt so bad.

Oh, man - not from hockey (not yet, at least) but I know EXACTLY what you mean. Why knee trauma triggers nausea, I have not idea. But it’s totally a thing.

It's such an intrusive spot to have a bad bruise, not like other spots that might hurt but not get in the way of life*.

Last time I took a bad shot to the knee I couldn't walk my dog in the morning, which upset me even more and that was when I upgraded my knee pads and put my thigh wraps back on.

* Insert a comparison to the crotch.  Just do it.

;)

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I know we should really move on, but dang son. :rofl:

Nah I can definitely relate to what he said. There’s a couple times off and on the ice where I felt something was gonna tear. It’s crazy how long I went without wearing any knee pads... 

Why I feel like something is gonna tear you might ask? (it’s hard to see but look at my legs and knees bc she wouldn’t get the f*ck off) ?‍♀️

Archived