Math's video thread

Math.

So after 2 years off the ice, I finally got the chance to resume playing.  Really proud of that first game back to be honest.

I know I got burn twice on backdoor plays after chasing pucks that were off the net in the first place, and the third goal was partly due to me being small but mainly no square!

Let me know what you think and specially where you thinnk I could improve.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Last Wednesday's game.  I was out cold with the flu but took the chance anyway figuring out it could only speed up the 'flushing it out" process.  Well, it didn't.

As for the game itself, I felt off on everything.  Looking back at the footage it ain't AS desastrous as expected, but definitely not my best outing either, you can clearly see I'm moving awkward on some on these plays!  To make matter worst, it seems like it was "make sure you chip the puck I have a clear visual on" day for the deffensemen.  There's 3 or 4 occurences that I clearly had the puck lined-up for a fairly easy save and someone somehow decided to deflect it and i ended up in the back of the net, oh well, what can you do?

Cheers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Math. said:

Thanks 381. 

Short, 5'8"/5'9", somewhere around there.  You pile a small build on top of that and I need all the help I can get!

Hey, I'm right there with ya at the 5'8" and small build. Its interesting how many shorter goalies are on here. You look big in the net at least, and can mostly cover those corners. Just curious, why were you off for a couple years?

Welcome back and good stuff man, I'm 5'9 small build as well. sometimes you gotta look/feel awkward to make that save lol.  Something I noticed was you have a tendency to shuffle a long distance in 1 push, something that a T push or smaller shuffles would benefit better IMO.  Also there were a few times as you pointed out you weren't square, to me it looked like you tried to predict where the shooter was going to shoot the puck from and planted for that position before they got there.  All these things I have been guilty of myself, it just takes time getting back in the swing of things

Glad to hear you are back in the net! You looked pretty good for being off for two years! It takes time to get your “feel” back for the position. In your first game I noticed like you said you overcommitted to shots on your blocker side and were unable to recover for the wrap around to your  glove side. Another thing I noticed was you were not square to the puck a few times especially on your glove side which opened up that side to the shooter. Overall you looked good, quick feet, you recover to your feet quickly. 

• Thanks 1

Last Wednesday's game.  Possibly one of my best outing ever. 

Tried to be a more square to the puck and not the shooter and it showed on a few occasion where I got the save.  I also tried to focus on keeping my hands out WAY in front of what I'm used to and I noticed a lot of improvement on that front also.  Makes it way easier to track pucks all the way to the gloves and kind of "forces" the hands to be more proactive attacking shots.  I also focused on keeping my catching hand fingers up.  I noticed on past videos that I tended to start fingers up but would drop my hand has the shooter came in closer.  Think I made a good job of correcting that.

I also did a good job of keeping my stick on the ice at most times and tried to let the off target shot sail wide.

Cheers.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, goalie381 said:

Hey, I'm right there with ya at the 5'8" and small build. Its interesting how many shorter goalies are on here. You look big in the net at least, and can mostly cover those corners. Just curious, why were you off for a couple years?

Long story I bounced back & forth between hockey and music most of my life.  When I really got into hockey some years ago i just so happened I was on hiatus from music after being just fed up with the whole thing because of uncommitted musicians.  After many years away from the music scene I got the chance to join a band that fairly well established, meaning quite a few shows a year with a bit of touring mixed in there for good measure.  It just so happened that it was at a time where hockey opportunities were dwindling and becoming more and more rare so I kind of just put the thing on the back burner.  Not really ginving up on it but opportunities where just inexistant at that point.

Well, fast forward to a couple weeks past and this guy I subbed for a few times back then calls me and says he has an opening for a goalie for the whole season.  Managed to make it work with the familly, work and the band so I said yes.  Really glad I did, I still ove it as much as I used to!

On 10/9/2018 at 11:44 AM, mufforz said:

Welcome back and good stuff man, I'm 5'9 small build as well. sometimes you gotta look/feel awkward to make that save lol.  Something I noticed was you have a tendency to shuffle a long distance in 1 push, something that a T push or smaller shuffles would benefit better IMO.  Also there were a few times as you pointed out you weren't square, to me it looked like you tried to predict where the shooter was going to shoot the puck from and planted for that position before they got there.  All these things I have been guilty of myself, it just takes time getting back in the swing of things

You pretty much nailed it.  That's something I also noticed, I was going with the shooter and not the potential shot so they only had to wait me out and would pretty much have an opening every single time!  Something I try to work on and think I did a good job of last week!

56 minutes ago, Imperative said:

Glad to hear you are back in the net! You looked pretty good for being off for two years! It takes time to get your “feel” back for the position. In your first game I noticed like you said you overcommitted to shots on your blocker side and were unable to recover for the wrap around to your  glove side. Another thing I noticed was you were not square to the puck a few times especially on your glove side which opened up that side to the shooter. Overall you looked good, quick feet, you recover to your feet quickly. 

Hey Imperatice, thanks for taking the time and the kind word.  Very good obesrvation and things I'm actively working on.  Hope it pays off in the near future!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So last friday night I got a sub off of a goalie app with a gang I had never played with.  Forgot how great it was to actually play on a team with a ref and back checking Ds!  Overall I think I did pretty good, we ended up winning 7-4 out of 24 they directed at me.  Number wise, probably one of my best performance ever and LOADS of fun.

Cheers.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, Imperative said:

Good work Math! It is always nice to come in a sub for a team and pick up the win. It seemed like your teammates really appreciated you effort and big saves. 

Thanks.  They did appreciated it.  So much so, they asked for my number so who knows, might be getting a call to sub for them again.  I would love it to be honnest because the caliber was just right for my abilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last Wednesday skate.  The camera decided to hard reset while in the bag, giving us the beautiful timestamp and the 2015 date!

Effectives were very low so we ended up playing 3 on 3, which I don't specifically enjoy, especially when I have a defective D!  Backcheck was practically inexistant or inefficient making it impossible to focus on the shot since I always had to account for a pass even when I had someone there.  Also, I was off for some reason.  Still managed a couple of decent saves in there but they mostly got bury under a hail of goals.  If anybody has more experience with 3 on 3, feel free to give me some pointers, they be much appreciated.

• Like 2

3 on 3 on a full ice pad is going to be mental torture.  Guys have pretty much twice as much room as normal, so they'll make any goalie look silly.  I spared a couple times in 3 on 3 on a small ice pad, and it was physical torture.  Had to be 100% ready 100% of the time.  Players could shoot from anywhere as the pad was about as big as one normal sized zone (blue line to boards).  

Point is, lke Imperative said, don't get too concerned over GA.

Math, Imperative and HSD are so correct. The fellas with whom you skate are pretty good. Time and space combined with skill and absence of D equals goals. I think you  looked pretty great and as if you haven't been off for 2 yrs. Pretty obvious that as your rust falls off, you'll be even better. Just focus on your play. 3 on 3 is weird with good players. If you stay deep, you'll get sniped. If you come out, they'll backdoor it. Try and stay "light" on your feet and enjoy it. You're a really good goalie.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, Math. said:

Last Wednesday skate.  The camera decided to hard reset while in the bag, giving us the beautiful timestamp and the 2015 date!

Effectives were very low so we ended up playing 3 on 3, which I don't specifically enjoy, especially when I have a defective D!  Backcheck was practically inexistant or inefficient making it impossible to focus on the shot since I always had to account for a pass even when I had someone there.  Also, I was off for some reason.  Still managed a couple of decent saves in there but they mostly got bury under a hail of goals.  If anybody has more experience with 3 on 3, feel free to give me some pointers, they be much appreciated.

i watched most of your vids so far and i WISH i had the d you have!  i just started last year and love it but i play in the rural rec league so its a good mix of levels.  i dont really have much to comment but i do enjoy watching any videos so i thought is pop in and say thanks!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.  Yeah I don't take the GA too much at heart since I know 3 on 3 usually means way too many options to cover or just way too many space for them to use.  I think it does offer proper reaction training as you ALWAYS gotta be ready for anything and especialy cross ice/cross crease plays, so at least you can focus on your post to post desperation saves repertoire!

@Fullright - yeah I noticed looking at the videos since I came back that I tend to stay way deep in the crease.  That's something I've addressed since and you'll see me going out and challenging a lot more in the upcoming videos.

@Netnewbie - Thanks for the kind word.  As long as you enjoy them I'll keep making them!  Cheers.

So I've been playing more and more since word has started to get around that I'm back in the game, and I've been getting more calls to sub.  That makes for more video material but less time to edit and post it!  So I'm trying to catch up but am failing miserably at it.

Here's a sub I got off of Facebook with a gang I had never played with before.  These were all people in very good shape so fast players and fast developing plays.  All in all lot's of fun and a good calibre fit too.  Enjoy.

Oh yeah, camera is screwed up for good and hard resets every single time I turn it off so please be considerate about the time stamp, new camera just came in today so not too many more videos with this nuisance.  Also, keep your eyes open for the next video, I'm trying something new.

Cheers.

Edited by Math.
  • Like 1

Here's our winter league'week 7 game.  Date start to come up randomly I know but you know, games are games!

Like I said previously, Worked on getting out more and challenging more and found that I'm more confident than I used to be when I stopped playing a couple years ago as I can now better keep up with incomming rushes.  Probably due to me being more patient, trying not to make the first move and getting burned everytime!  Also, been listening to a lot of Trav4Oilers videos and I honnestly think they helped me a ton.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
Cheers.

So today's a two for one, in two ways.  Two uploads in a day and that one is a dual feed upload, you be the judge and tell me which perspective you like best.

First you have the standard stuck to the glass feed and an in net feed also.

I had wanted to try the in net cam for a while just couldn't decide how to go about it.  Ended up going full low tech on this one and simply stuck a camera mount on a piece of 2x4, works wonders.  I thought I would have liked the in net pesrspective better to be honnest.  It gives great feedback on my positioning and foot work but nothing on how the plays is developing and how I am positionned in relation to what's happening.  Bottom line is: I didn't enjoyed it that much and I don't think it'll make it a standard sample of my videos thread, unless people really enjoy it.

Have fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got called-up to sub again, but this time it ended in a lost.  6-5 if I remember correctly (or might have been 6-4).  Anyway, I think I still played decently good.  I feel that my cross-crease movements are comming back to where they were when I stopped a couple years ago and looking at the videos emphasise that feeling, I look a lot more fluid and in better control than I used to a few weeks back.

Enjoy and has always, don't be affraid to criticize or point out flaws.
Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Math. said:

So I got called-up to sub again, but this time it ended in a lost.  6-5 if I remember correctly (or might have been 6-4).  Anyway, I think I still played decently good.  I feel that my cross-crease movements are comming back to where they were when I stopped a couple years ago and looking at the videos emphasise that feeling, I look a lot more fluid and in better control than I used to a few weeks back.

Enjoy and has always, don't be affraid to criticize or point out flaws.
Thanks.

Good skate! You were hung out on a couple... but I did notice a few things (and I'm sorry I've been wired to give feedback on areas of improvement only as doing the right thing is expected and should not be praised... HA)...

1. Stay on your feet. Your shuffles and t-pushes seem to get you where you need to be when you use them... but you default to a butterfly slide for cross crease movement which seems to make changing of directions or any other adjustments more difficult for you. Forces you to stretch and reach when you could otherwise have your position and just drop.
  2. Set your feet. On  couple of the goals, prior to going into your butterfly your feet weren't set, so consequently when you go down momentum is carrying you beyond your intended position.
  3. Active glove. You do a good job on your blocker side of keeping it out in front of you, but often times on either scrambles or general movements your glove hand stays back and drops down... almost locking to your leg pad.