Math's video thread

Math.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Good skate! You were hung out on a couple... but I did notice a few things (and I'm sorry I've been wired to give feedback on areas of improvement only as doing the right thing is expected and should not be praised... HA)...

1. Stay on your feet. Your shuffles and t-pushes seem to get you where you need to be when you use them... but you default to a butterfly slide for cross crease movement which seems to make changing of directions or any other adjustments more difficult for you. Forces you to stretch and reach when you could otherwise have your position and just drop.
  2. Set your feet. On  couple of the goals, prior to going into your butterfly your feet weren't set, so consequently when you go down momentum is carrying you beyond your intended position.
  3. Active glove. You do a good job on your blocker side of keeping it out in front of you, but often times on either scrambles or general movements your glove hand stays back and drops down... almost locking to your leg pad.

Thanks!  Just got back from a game and tried to pay specific attention to the pointers you gave (especially the standing on my feet one) and it did pay of.  I don't know if I succeeded but one thing for sure, the last game I posted was my best game ever.  I can tell you right away that todays game IS NOW the best game ever.  Even without having seen the footage yet.

6 hours ago, Math. said:

Thanks!  Just got back from a game and tried to pay specific attention to the pointers you gave (especially the standing on my feet one) and it did pay of.  I don't know if I succeeded but one thing for sure, the last game I posted was my best game ever.  I can tell you right away that todays game IS NOW the best game ever.  Even without having seen the footage yet.

You just made my week!! I tried to watch your best game ever video at the office, but the firewall blocks you-tube videos I think. Looking forward to watching it and last night’s game!!

• Like 1

So I goaled a .905 game.....that's right a 900 game!  Granted I'm not in a position that numbers really mean anything, but a 900 game, I never thought I had it in me.  And that's not even my new best game ever I hinted to last week, that one is still to come.

Out of the 4 goals, first one was an 18 tap on the pads and finaly in, one I was completely blind on and picked it up it was too  late, and one was very unlucky.  Standard stick deflection to the corner but the puck somehow jumped the stick and continued on into the goal.  All in all a pretty good night.

Enjoy because for the next one I'm debuting my new gear, on a night I really shouldn't have!

• Like 1

Good work! What was the conversation with the ref after the first goal about? I feel you on that third goal, I had one last night where it went off of my stick up in the air and instead of catching it I knocked it into the net with my glove, it sucked. You made many good saves, it seemed like your team had a bit of a tough time keeping them out of the middle of the ice where the most dangerous shots come from. 

16 hours ago, Imperative said:

Good work! What was the conversation with the ref after the first goal about? I feel you on that third goal, I had one last night where it went off of my stick up in the air and instead of catching it I knocked it into the net with my glove, it sucked. You made many good saves, it seemed like your team had a bit of a tough time keeping them out of the middle of the ice where the most dangerous shots come from. 

Thanks man.  The Ds do indeed have a hard time folowing up on slot and backdoor coverage, but are surprisingly good at screening....me!  And that's exactely what happened on the 4th goal, where you can clearly see me gesturing to the guy, after the goal, that I had no visual on that shot whatsoever.

That ref was really cool to deal with, always acknowledging great plays and great saves I made.  On that one he said it was too bad that the guy had about a gazillion chances to bang it in.  He couldn't blew it dead has he had visual on it and it was still a fair puck.  He later checked on me to make I was ok after I caught a shot to the dangler.  Really cool guy.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 8:25 AM, Math. said:

So I goaled a .905 game.....that's right a 900 game!  Granted I'm not in a position that numbers really mean anything, but a 900 game, I never thought I had it in me.  And that's not even my new best game ever I hinted to last week, that one is still to come.

Out of the 4 goals, first one was an 18 tap on the pads and finaly in, one I was completely blind on and picked it up it was too  late, and one was very unlucky.  Standard stick deflection to the corner but the puck somehow jumped the stick and continued on into the goal.  All in all a pretty good night.

Enjoy because for the next one I'm debuting my new gear, on a night I really shouldn't have!

Your movements are much more quiet than just a couple weeks ago... it's crazy. Nice work. I find one of the hardest things in Men's league is the speed of shots. You'll off-speed all night then a fast ball... from a guy who you least expect it from. Then it bounces off 2 or 3 guys on its way to you... but you stayed square on most and let the puck find you. Always a good night when the puck finds you.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:23 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Your movements are much more quiet than just a couple weeks ago... it's crazy. Nice work. I find one of the hardest things in Men's league is the speed of shots. You'll off-speed all night then a fast ball... from a guy who you least expect it from. Then it bounces off 2 or 3 guys on its way to you... but you stayed square on most and let the puck find you. Always a good night when the puck finds you.

Hey, thanks a lot.  I really do try to make a conscious effort of not moving out of position has much has it's the one thing I noticed costs me the most.  If I look back at my previous videos, I'll often be in perfectly good position and then the shot is released and for some reason I move out of position and get beaten.  I noticed it happens more on the far side, whatever way I'm moving.

Thanks for the comment!

So has some of you might have seen on another thread, I got new gear.  Lefevre design KOHOs that are 33+1 instead of my usual 32+1, and I took a really bad decision and debuted them on a night I was playing with a group I had never played before on a facebook sub.  Combine that with a missunderstanding of the calibre I was going to play and I was way out of my league in unfamilliar, untweaked gear.  Yes, they picked me appart.  It hurt.

Edited by Math.
  • Like 3

On 12/22/2018 at 6:45 AM, Math. said:

Yes, they picked me appart.  It hurt.

Rookie comment! You call that being picked apart - you don't know the  meaning of the term - oh the stuff I could show you if I had video.

Seriously: you played well and made a number of great saves. The team you were behind has absolutely no right being in that division. There was a crapload of 2:1s and even a few 2:0s, bardown on a breakaway - I could go on...That's just poor effort on your team's part. I bet the reason you got the sub call is their regular goalie knew what was coming and got sick to his stomach.

More insulting, while you were putting it all out there your team seemed happy to mug it up with the other guys - fine we all want to have fun - but not at the expense of hanging your goalie out to dry. I can honestly say a lump of coal would be a delight compared to what I'd leave in your team members' stockings in two days.

I am not as artistic as Fullright so I won't end this with a rhyme - I'll just say take away the good stuff from the video and forget the rest.

Edited by Colander

@southpawtendy48 @Fullright @Colander

Thanks.  Looking back at the video it's true that, although this hasn't been my greatest game, the slot and bang bang plays were pretty poorly defended against.  The majority of these guys having played higger level of hockey meens they are better at picking corners and recognising/exploiting flaws faster, the moment it is not properly defended against, the goalie doesn't stand much of a chance.

Colander: that's not an actual league, just a bunch of pals that have played most if not all of their hockey together and still meet up to play.  That game wasn't even scored (thankfully!).  That being said, you are right they haven't put up much of an effort in establishing an actual defense.  At least I now know what to expect if I ever get the call again with them.

Speaking of poor defensive effort, the next video(s) is probably the epitom of players not even interested in being on the ice bellow the red line.  Keep an eye out later on today, it's honnestly epic, in a bad way I mean!

5 minutes ago, Math. said:

@southpawtendy48 @Fullright @Colander

Thanks.  Looking back at the video it's true that, although this hasn't been my greatest game, the slot and bang bang plays were pretty poorly defended against.  The majority of these guys having played higger level of hockey meens they are better at picking corners and recognising/exploiting flaws faster, the moment it is not properly defended against, the goalie doesn't stand much of a chance.

Colander: that's not an actual league, just a bunch of pals that have played most if not all of their hockey together and still meet up to play.  That game wasn't even scored (thankfully!).  That being said, you are right they haven't put up much of an effort in establishing an actual defense.  At least I now know what to expect if I ever get the call again with them.

Speaking of poor defensive effort, the next video(s) is probably the epitom of players not even interested in being on the ice bellow the red line.  Keep an eye out later on today, it's honnestly epic, in a bad way I mean!

Yeah I’m not sure if you were in pick up or not but they could’ve at least switch sides every 10 minutes or something like that. I was in one this morning and I ended up being the only goalie so the players just switched sides lol

21 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Yeah I’m not sure if you were in pick up or not but they could’ve at least switch sides every 10 minutes or something like that. I was in one this morning and I ended up being the only goalie so the players just switched sides lol

Yeah they usualy did, especialy since I used to mount my camera outside the glass so I couldn't change it if I moved. 

Alright, so you ready to feel better about your defensive system?  That was two weeks ago and let's just say that, again, although I still struggle with the new pads, the defense was....well, it wasn't really!

Just for fun I decide to pull out some numbers, and they go like this:

Breakaway : 11
2 on 0 : 1
2 on 1 : 7
3 on 1 : 2

Because I wanted to see the straping and the new pads in action I made a net video too.  Didn't made a special edit for the net camera, just synced them and kept the same markers so it doesn't always makes sense!

Enjoy.

• 1 year later...

Haven't posted in a looooooong time.  Still playing every now and then but with family expanding and work being hectic I'm playing less, and have even less time to edit videos!  That being said, I still drop one every now and then.

Enjoy.  (Comments always welcomed!)

Edited by Math.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:21 AM, Netnewbie said:

your defence looks a lot like mine.  they say to me"we don't need to play defence, that's your job."  needless to say i get hung out to dry tons.

Yeah well, if it can put things into perspective of the quality of hockey I'm used to, I didn't feel I got left alone at all during that game.  There's this one D-man that tends to let em through pretty easy (which led to the breakaway goal @4:30), but otherwise, I'm used to even less support than what I got that night!

• Like 1

Latest video.  Finally verified my account and went with a somewhat punchier tittle screen.

As for the actual play itself, my puck tracking was good that morning and my movements were more controlled than usual.  Now if I can just try and stop giving away the poke check intention on breakaways and focus on tracking the puck (and not the shooter) my breakaway SV% would greatly improve I'm sure!

Enjoy and feel free to point out flaws.
Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes you get to play the Bell Center!  

Pretty good ice down there!  Doesn't prevent me from sliping on my own every now and then.  On the bright side, I managed to pull it off without pulling anything so, yay for me I guess.

Enjoy.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...