Coveted Mask Thread

19 minutes ago, Colander said:

To be fair, Hockey1234 said it was the best mask he'd ever owned, not the best in absolute terms

Sure, but again... the main function of a mask is safety. So I think we limit comments to masks being “great” until we’ve used them on ice a few times.

@Hockey1234 - To be clear, not trying to pick on you or anything. Your additional comments are great, thanks for adding them. 

I would just like us all to be as discerning as possible when judging masks. I hope everyone can get on the same page about that. 

I hope you enjoy the new bucket and continue to update us!

• Like 1

It looks like a mask will be my next purchase and I’m definitely interested in a Coveted mask. Does anyone know what type of foam they use, or foam options? Would a mask straight off the shelf at a store be priced much differently than a custom mask from their factory?

Thanks for any of your answers

• 4 months later...

Hello Everyone,

It's been a long while since I've posted. We've been swamped here, developing new product lines, streamlining and upgrading our production methods and developing and growing our relationships with our retail partners. We'll be attending several Goalie Day events hosted by our partners too - you can check out our website's "events calendar" and follow us on Instagram and Facebook for updates to those events. We'll also be hosting an "Open House" of our own at our Mississauga, Ontario shop this late spring or summer (date TBA). 

As of December 2018 we wrapped up testing on our 906 PRO. It is now NHL, HECC and CSA Certified. Available in four sizes (small, medium, large and extra large) we can fit most goalies from about 4'-4" to 6'-4" tall with head circumference measurements of 20-3/4" all the way up to about 24". The "layup" (LAYUP: the combination of materials used in the shell's construction) on the 906 PRO is identical to what we used on Malcolm Subban's masks for true NHL level protection!

We've also added YOUTH, MEDIUM and EXTRA LARGE sizes to our already SMALL and LARGE certified "A5 line" 

All our masks should be available online or in store at your favorite retailer - If they don't have it, tell them to order them in - we'll have it there in about 7 - 10 days.

As always, I am the best source for the most accurate and up to date information. Please feel free to contact me ron@covetedmask.com with any questions. As always, ALL questions are welcomed. 

Thank you so much,

Ron Stefaniuk

Coveted Mask Inc.

1 877 863 6275 

906 HECC LXL BL.jpg

906 HECC LXL F.jpg

906 HECC LXL L.jpg

Edited by ron@covetedmask.com
accuracy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a Coveted certified 906 in white with the straight line cage off the shelf at HockeyMonkey today.  I recently started playing again  after about 15 years and I noticed that my old Itec Profile 2000 didn't fit very well.  While looking it over to see what adjustments could be made I found the born on date of the unit was 9 of 1998 so I figured it was time for an upgrade.  Can't comment on the on-ice performance yet but it is a great fit and seems pretty comfortable.  It feels pretty solid even though it"s a fair amount lighter than my Itech.  I was looking at the Bauer 950 as well but Coveted seemed a bit more substantial than the Bauer and it fit better.  Once I've had a chance to use it on ice I'll post back with my experiences and impressions as they apply to "beer league" hockey.

mask (1 of 1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How does this happen. This is used for 5 months at the most and I’ve taken maybe 10 head shots. The only ones that broke it and bent it were prep/junior kids   I know this for a fact because I always check my mask and after checking it after this camp it has all the damages. I mean I can’t be replacing a cage every shot I get to the mask from prep/junior kids. I know masks are supposed to bend and stuff but I’m not gonna buy a new one every three months. Eventually the amount of cages ive bought will outweigh how much I spent on the actual mask. Anyone know of any higher quality replacement cages for the 960 pro model or if coveted sells any?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Hockey1234

11 hours ago, Hockey1234 said:

How does this happen. This is used for 5 months at the most and I’ve taken maybe 10 head shots. The only ones that broke it and bent it were prep/junior kids   I know this for a fact because I always check my mask and after checking it after this camp it has all the damages. I mean I can’t be replacing a cage every shot I get to the mask from prep/junior kids. I know masks are supposed to bend and stuff but I’m not gonna buy a new one every three months. Eventually the amount of cages ive bought will outweigh how much I spent on the actual mask. Anyone know of any higher quality replacement cages for the 960 pro model or if coveted sells any?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Uh..... it sounds like you know exactly how "this" happens..... When you get hit in the face with a hard object, shit that is made out of metal bends.... its designed to do that... Looks like the mask did its job. I'm not sure how long you have been playing goal for but getting dented cages and having to replace them is part of playing a position where frozen rubber biscuits are ripped at your dome bud. My suggestion is to get a quicker glove hand ;) 

11 hours ago, Hockey1234 said:

Shit happens man. I've had cages get abused by half decent shooters and then bend like no ones business on a benders shot. Sometimes the cages are impenetrable, sometimes they're basically foil.

Like Doobie said, catch those. ;)

54 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

Uh..... it sounds like you know exactly how "this" happens..... When you get hit in the face with a hard object, shit that is made out of metal bends.... its designed to do that... Looks like the mask did its job. I'm not sure how long you have been playing goal for but getting dented cages and having to replace them is part of playing a position where frozen rubber biscuits are ripped at your dome bud. My suggestion is to get a quicker glove hand ;) 

I’ve been playing for around 13 years so yes, I get it. I just haven’t had one actually snap on me before like this one did. I wasn’t concerned too much about the bending but then I saw the cage actually broke and that just seemed like it shouldn’t happen. 

2 hours ago, ron@covetedmask.com said:

Hockey1234,

Thank you for posting and sharing your concerns. I am always available via email, text or phone to talk with customers. My email is ron@covetedmask.com my cell is 647 447 8191

I sent you a direct message on Instagram, I’m fairly certain that you don’t run it though. I’ll give you a call later today. 

2 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

I’ve been playing for around 13 years so yes, I get it. I just haven’t had one actually snap on me before like this one did. I wasn’t concerned too much about the bending but then I saw the cage actually broke and that just seemed like it shouldn’t happen. 

ah yes the snapping is super odd.  Bending wise ive found that the coveted cat eyes actually take a bit more of a beating that others. Ron is the man though, i'm sure he'll sort you out!

40 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

bending happens...however I'd definitely take issue with broken welds..that's a safety issue and is typically warrantied against by most manufacturers as a defective product.  The cage should dent on impact but also should stay together.

Agreed... but unless both of those bends happened on a single shot (which I don't believe is possible) those bends could have been putting additional stress on the welds... so I think you'd be hard pressed to see anything out of a warranty claim. The fact is @Hockey1234 a bent cage should be replaced just like a cracked shell should be.

• 8 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 1:00 AM, robertbarker said:

Just bought a Coveted certified 906 in white with the straight line cage off the shelf at HockeyMonkey today.  I recently started playing again  after about 15 years and I noticed that my old Itec Profile 2000 didn't fit very well.  While looking it over to see what adjustments could be made I found the born on date of the unit was 9 of 1998 so I figured it was time for an upgrade.  Can't comment on the on-ice performance yet but it is a great fit and seems pretty comfortable.  It feels pretty solid even though it"s a fair amount lighter than my Itech.  I was looking at the Bauer 950 as well but Coveted seemed a bit more substantial than the Bauer and it fit better.  Once I've had a chance to use it on ice I'll post back with my experiences and impressions as they apply to "beer league" hockey.

mask (1 of 1).jpg

Okay, I normally wouldn't post a response  to myself eight months later but I think it is important to share information and opinions about gear with each other to help us make intelligent choices.  This is especially true for the lesser known brands that don't have many reviews from actual users.  So I have had some time to use my Coveted 906 helmet on ice in my men's league hockey game which includes a mixed level of shooters.  The helmet is comfortable and fits well and the sweat band is effective at keeping the sweat from my bald head from running down into my eyes.  I do find that my Vaughn V8Pro Carbon chestie and the chin clash a bit when trying to turn my head far right and left.  Also, I bought the standard cage which can appear in your field of vision from time to time. It's no big deal to someone at my level but higher level goalies might want to check other cage options.  But the real question is how does it perform when you get hit, and for that I had to wait a while.  Having had some significant head shots over the last few weeks I can now report that the helmet stood up to moderate impact shots without any ill effects giving me full confidence in it's ability to stop the puck and protect my head from injury.  And I should probably work on my glove hand....

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, Larceny#30 said:

Coveted is the best mask for the money

2nd that. But if you want to move up to his pro carbon level it is bomb proof.

Note his cats eye has an extra thick center bar, but if you have a Bauer profile cage it will fit the 906 model