"Clean"

ULTIMA

How to hockey player slang:

1. Pretend to have a slight Ontario accent, often as a way to fit in with the superior Canadian players in the locker room. It's not annoying at all to hear some dude who has lived in Connecticut all his life say "pahss", "shwat", "eowht (out)", or "oh yaa".

2. Is the word over one syllable? Keep just the first syllable and add a "y" as the second.

3. Does the person's last name have only one syllable, or just too European to say? Add "sy", or if you're feeling bold, "er".

4. Be certain to pepper all discussions, interviews, or social interactions with "fur sure".

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Kayen said:

I got a shutout the other day and when i was talking to a buddy the next day i said i got a shutty... I guess i'll get off someone's lawn. 

Get off that damn SnapFace too, please!

Still, congrats on your "shutty". I almost had one the other day, but we wet in a goalie-wolie in da wast minute ?

3 minutes ago, Kayen said:

ITT: Condescending adults not pleased with new terms. 

It's not new. I heard most of these prior to men's league. And also I've heard a lot of guys in their thirties say this stuff too. 

I agree that that I am condescending though, lol.

Just now, Moose75 said:

It's not new. I heard most of these prior to men's league. And also I've heard a lot of guys in their thirties say this stuff too. 

I agree that that I am condescending though, lol.

This is normal rink talk/terms for me as well... and I am a guy nearing his 30's as well, and most of the guys i play with are above 30... so i'm genuinely confused why it's being looked down upon here. 

6 minutes ago, Kayen said:

This is normal rink talk/terms for me as well... and I am a guy nearing his 30's as well, and most of the guys i play with are above 30... so i'm genuinely confused why it's being looked down upon here. 

I'm in the same age bracket. It just sounds so...dumb, for lack of a nicer word. 

16 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Because as goalies we are the superior ones on the team. Not only in intellect, but in manners, good looks, skill and ability to ride really tall horses.

This year I learned that people now call the EA sports game "chel"

@bunnyman666 Can I get the official waiting period waived to join the old man club?  I think I'm done with the yoots

In order to supercede rquirements, you must do two of the following:

1) go on a back in my day rant

2) talk about how you have to get up in the middle of the night to pee and how your prostate is the size of a water melon and you can’t get all the pee out

3) use a flip phone, or

4) use a modern phone, but bitch about how hard that dad gummed thing is to work

5) have an organ removed or other major health scare

6) not know who anyone is in a People or entertainment magazine

7) Call the rapper named “Snoop Lion” by the name “Snoopy Dogg Doggy” and explain that he raps about Woodstock and how much of a loser Charlie Brown

Let’s see your application in the Old Man Club thread.

@Kayen FWIW, I am 30 years old.

Believe me, I get that nay-sayers on these matters sound condescending. If you look back in this thread, I personally shrugged off the whole 'clean' thing by saying "Eh, I don't like it either, but young people always move around with slang, what can ya do?".

But hey, this is a forum for discussion, and we all get to voice an opinion... and mine is that terms like 'shutty' are a step too far on the slang-o-meter. It doesn't have less syllables than "shutout", it's not easier to say, it's not clever, etc. And personally, at 30 years old, I would feel pretty foolish saying 'shutty' or 'celly'. I just think it sounds like baby talk. But hey, I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't use it.

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Because as goalies we are the superior ones on the team. Not only in intellect, but in manners, good looks, skill and ability to ride really tall horses.

Intellect, yes. Manners, no. Looks, meh to maybe. Skill, yes. Hopefully that horse isn't Mr. Hands.

3 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

@Kayen FWIW, I am 30 years old.

Believe me, I get that nay-sayers on these matters sound condescending. If you look back in this thread, I personally shrugged off the whole 'clean' thing by saying "Eh, I don't like it either, but young people always move around with slang, what can ya do?".

But hey, this is a forum for discussion, and we all get to voice an opinion... and mine is that terms like 'shutty' are a step too far on the slang-o-meter. It doesn't have less syllables than "shutout", it's not easier to say, it's not clever, etc. And personally, at 30 years old, I would feel pretty foolish saying 'shutty' or 'celly'. I just think it sounds like baby talk. But hey, I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't use it.

You're "prolly" right ;) 

Hugh Hugh, see what I did there, hugh? lollll :D

11 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

In order to supercede rquirements, you must do two of the following:

1) go on a back in my day rant

2) talk about how you have to get up in the middle of the night to pee and how your prostate is the size of a water melon and you can’t get all the pee out

3) use a flip phone, or

4) use a modern phone, but bitch about how hard that dad gummed thing is to work

5) have an organ removed or other major health scare

6) not know who anyone is in a People or entertainment magazine

7) Call the rapper named “Snoop Lion” by the name “Snoopy Dogg Doggy” and explain that he raps about Woodstock and how much of a loser Charlie Brown

Let’s see your application in the Old Man Club thread.

Although I could go on a back in my day rant, the fact that I know Snoop went back to Snoop Dogg probably disqualifies me from early entry.  I'll see you in a decade or two :) 

1 minute ago, Mroy31 said:

Although I could go on a back in my day rant, the fact that I know Snoop went back to Snoop Dogg probably disqualifies me from early entry.  I'll see you in a decade or two :) 

Snoop isn't even close to old school criteria. Mention Run DMC, LL COOL J, Beastie Boys, Grand Master Flash, Kool Herk, etc...now you're getting somewhere ;)

7 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Snoop isn't even close to old school criteria. Mention Run DMC, LL COOL J, Beastie Boys, Grand Master Flash, Kool Herk, etc...now you're getting somewhere ;)

I mean, Snoops debut album came out 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say he's in the old school crowd.

Unless you only count pre-90's as old school.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, Snoops debut album came out 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say he's in the old school crowd.

Unless you only count pre-90's as old school.

True OGs know ?

Each generation will have their "old school" period. Mine is from the beginnings, so...

Archived