"Clean"

ULTIMA

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

think "well, I don't actually know them from Adam... maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should reserve judgement."

But then you get something like this about someone you had suspicions about, and think maybe my instincts are right after all.

It's not judgement, it's intuition. It's like meeting a new a co-worker and within 3 minutes of talking with him, you listen to the nuances in his speech and watch his body language and get a good read on his vibe.

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

Had to get a refresh on this McGuire fella and came across this gem. Enjoy!

I dunno man, the one way to make me less angry at Pierre McGuire is to bring up Mike Milbury, who is infinitely dumber and worse at his job. 

Don't get me wrong, McGuire's mannerisms and unending obscure factoids about youth hockey make my skin crawl as much as the next person's. But he does know the game. Milbury is such a bumbling fossil from a by-gone era of hockey, and I his reflexive desire to take a hard-line position on everything results in some really cringe-worthy (and most importantly, incorrect) commentary. The guy was a total joke as a player, coach, and GM... yet, he is the person who is largely in charge of informing American hockey audiences about the game of hockey. That scares me, especially since so many American viewers are relatively new to the sport, and require a lot of background and information to help them understand what's happening, who's who, what's supposed to happen, etc. I can't recall how many times I hear my father-in-law parroting some obtuse thing that Milbury said. It's a downer to think of how many new hockey fans are having their understanding of the game shaped by that clown...

I see guys like Tim and Sid, and I really wish America had people like that covering hockey. Now, I'm sure plenty of people here find them annoying (or even insufferable) with the constant gimmicks and hot-takes (much the way I think of most SportsCenter personalities in the US). But at least they're entertaining, "hip", and they have their finger on the pulse of how people think in 2018, and what we should be talking about. For lack of a better word, they're modern. Meanwhile, Mike Milbury and Barry Melrose are the two best-known hockey personalities in the United States. If Bettman wants to grow the game for new American fans so badly, he ought to make some calls and try and get those guys off the screen...

8 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I dunno man, the one way to make me less angry at Pierre McGuire is to bring up Mike Milbury, who is infinitely dumber and worse at his job. 

Don't get me wrong, McGuire's mannerisms and unending obscure factoids about youth hockey make my skin crawl as much as the next person's. But he does know the game. Milbury is such a bumbling fossil from a by-gone era of hockey, and I his reflexive desire to take a hard-line position on everything results in some really cringe-worthy (and most importantly, incorrect) commentary. The guy was a total joke as a player, coach, and GM... yet, he is the person who is largely in charge of informing American hockey audiences about the game of hockey. That scares me, especially since so many American viewers are relatively new to the sport, and require a lot of background and information to help them understand what's happening, who's who, what's supposed to happen, etc. I can't recall how many times I hear my father-in-law parroting some obtuse thing that Milbury said. It's a downer to think of how many new hockey fans are having their understanding of the game shaped by that clown...

I see guys like Tim and Sid, and I really wish America had people like that covering hockey. Now, I'm sure plenty of people here find them annoying (or even insufferable) with the constant gimmicks and hot-takes (much the way I think of most SportsCenter personalities in the US). But at least they're entertaining, "hip", and they have their finger on the pulse of how people think in 2018, and what we should be talking about. For lack of a better word, they're modern. Meanwhile, Mike Milbury and Barry Melrose are the two best-known hockey personalities in the United States. If Bettman wants to grow the game for new American fans so badly, he ought to make some calls and try and get those guys off the screen...

Carefully considered, and extremely well written. Well done, sir!

Agree.

MLB Network has the right idea and is hands down the best in the sports game. Get some of the sports greatest minds in to demonstrate and break down what makes certain techniques, systems, or players so effective. That's how you get people interested and grow the game. I find myself much more into baseball now because guys like Al Leiter and company can break it down to an understandable science.

Keith Jones and Mike Milbury clearly don't understand the way the game is played at this point, get some recently retired guys who do and can break it down. I didn't even realize Eddie Olczyk played hockey because his commentary sounds so unknowledgeable sometimes, especially if it has anything to do with goaltending. I once watched him claim Price kept going down "way too early" and they should shoot high. Price was executing the RVH, a popular technique that has been around now for at least 4-5 years...

Also; less Pierre, more Ray Ferraro. Give me something to take away from what I am seeing. Not arbitrary facts about players that anyone can find on Wikipedia or Eliteprospects. 

God forbid I defend ESPN (not a fan), but the whole "ESPN is in a free-fall!!!1" story is highly selective (and politically motivated here in the states) ...every single cable network is on life support compared to where they were a few years ago. Old cable models are dying, and the new, a la carte system is winning people over. 

image.png.33d17d7de4401658c2bf7e241f85f46e.png

On 10/10/2018 at 2:16 PM, stackem30 said:

God forbid I defend ESPN (not a fan), but the whole "ESPN is in a free-fall!!!1" story is highly selective (and politically motivated here in the states) ...every single cable network is on life support compared to where they were a few years ago. Old cable models are dying, and the new, a la carte system is winning people over. 

Good point. I really don't know. I just know that I used to love espn and watch it daily. Now? Hardly ever other than when they have an MLB game on. It's on in my gym. It's not interesting to me now. I know they have let a lot of staff go.

I also pay about $200 a month for FiOS. Half of the bill is for the equipment I have to rent.

Being the millennial I am, I understand this term and it's origin. As far as I'm concerned, the origin for describing something as "clean" came from car culture, this term was used to describe custom/modified cars where all the wires are hidden and there is minimal chrome/"bling". "Clean" also relates to something looking good while being simplistic. Ex: "That's a clean computer". There is your daily dose of high school millennialism.

On 10/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

There is no better commenting Duo than Ray Ferraro and Gord Miller.

Preach!  Bob Cole and Harry Neale were my faves back in my childhood.  Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph do Leafs games on the radio and are another solid duo.

While we're also dumping on terrible colour commentators, Greg Millen is my personal punching bag.  I can't stand him and his opinions or calls.  He will so often say how something happened that was clearly not what happened on the play, like "oh I think that was a high stick!  What a missed call, that could have really changed the game!"  Then he won't let it go, gets the production team to zapruder the replay over and over, see that he's wrong, and then just move on like he didn't just waste all of our time.

Anybody remember Jim Hughson and Don Taylor doing the NHL EA sports games before they became 'chel?

15 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Jim Hughson and Don Taylor doing the NHL EA sports games before they became 'chel?

Jim Hughson pronouncing Luongo's name is my ASMR. The man has such a great voice. Should have been one of those movie announcement guys.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:33 AM, dstew29 said:

Had to get a refresh on this McGuire fella and came across this gem. Enjoy!

god do i hate mike milbury. Dudes relevant off being a moron, ruining the islanders, and hitting a fan with their shoe during a game lmao

Archived