Reason behind NHLers switching to a Kenesky C&A?

cwarnar

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

How did you get access?  They said they will have these available once their website is up and running.

Our interests aligned at the right time!  See below

7 hours ago, Kayen said:

I'm guessing he's likely a rep for them. 

I sent him a used P1 to take apart.  He's obviously put his own flair on much of the design (shoulder wings, elbow blocks, heart guard, strapping)

23 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I don't think Warrior has a huge desire to start shelling out tons of cash for pro endorsements and what not.

The beer league market is far more financially viable than the Pros.  

I still don't have an answer why no pros will even test Warrior stuff outside sticks tho.  I won't use another brand for the remainder of my beer league career

Remember when Thomas rocked Smith pads for a bit, and did the same with Factory MAD? They didn't pay the fees, were simply blank and it could of kept going. Warrior could still do the same, and as I stated, their models and graphics stand out so much compared to what's out there right now that you can identify them without hesitation.

Remember when Thomas rocked Smith pads for a bit, and did the same with Factory MAD? They didn't pay the fees, were simply blank and it could of kept going. Warrior could still do the same, and as I stated, their models and graphics stand out so much compared to what's out there right now that you can identify them without hesitation.

Tim was rocking his Florida gear in Dallas- THAT was funny shit! Then he was combining pieces of his other gear. I guess he did not want to spend his gear allowances in the last season of his career. I was told by a reliable source he was given $60K per year just for gear

35 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Tim was rocking his Florida gear in Dallas- THAT was funny shit! Then he was combining pieces of his other gear. I guess he did not want to spend his gear allowances in the last season of his career. I was told by a reliable source he was given $60K per year just for gear.

Not sure it was for the same reason(s), but I remembered seeing a picture in my Panini NHL sticker book of Kelly Hrudey after being traded to the Kings, rocking his Islanders gear - at least long enough for some pics to be taken:

image.png.4e99bfa20fd52d9fadbf93b823b786bf.pngimage.png.77fb67eb6dc4e2d2dd5cf765fdbba7e2.png

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

That was actually de rigeur at the time. That was also at the time where goalies were still wearing gear in some cases 2-3 seasons! 

True dat, @bunnyman666 - certainly no $60K gear allowances back then.

Speaking of gear, what kind of cup did Kelly have in La in 93...? Oh that's right, he didn't get a cup! LOL!

image.png.80a2211eab1836c566b562e17cb5269d.png

Whaaaaaat? Too soon...?

18 hours ago, Murray said:

Really like how this looks, but I feel like that back setup needs to be simplified by about 500%. SO MANY straps and buckles. Contrast with the back of the Passau C/A, which seems much more streamlined.

hires_plastronslide2.jpg

The Kenesky built units don't use elastic as it stretches out over time. So without elastic, you need straps.

That said, I'd think you can dial in the fit to be the same with straps. Maybe you need to keep it tight for inspection and then get a little loose/wider for play. NASCAR stuff...

The Kenesky built units don't use elastic as it stretches out over time. So without elastic, you need straps.

That said, I'd think you can dial in the fit to be the same with straps. Maybe you need to keep it tight for inspection and then get a little loose/wider for play. NASCAR stuff...

I think there are certain items that must be locked down expressly to prevent looser/wider for games.

I am surprised that it has never been reported that Whitless would drop in on a goalie to see if items were altered AFTER his inspection and relatively easy to forge signature was emblazoned on equipment.

6 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

I think a lot of pre-existing nhl gear contracts with goalies ended this summer, plus with the new specs = a bit of free for all. Thats why we're seeing kenesky having a shot at bringing some guys over with their C/As and Brians too (they posted a Fleury VGK Optik C/A today) 

Makes sense.  I saw Halak taking a CCM Premier for a spin

2 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

I think a lot of pre-existing nhl gear contracts with goalies ended this summer, plus with the new specs = a bit of free for all. Thats why we're seeing kenesky having a shot at bringing some guys over with their C/As and Brians too (they posted a Fleury VGK Optik C/A today) 

If they do have an endorsement, most of them don’t call out a specific C&A. Expiring gear contracts have nothing to do with C&A changes right now. I know that some people can cite and exception or two to this rule, but it’s pretty true. A C&As is probably the least marketable piece of gear because it’s hidden by the jersey... 

Guys are trying new units because they’re forced to change. Every single company on earth is making a new unit for the first time. Every single goalie is trying  a new unit for the first time. For that reason, we’re going to  see more experimentation than ever before. It’s that simple.  

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Guys are trying new units because they’re forced to change. Every single company on earth is making a new unit for the first time. Every single goalie is trying  a new unit for the first time. For that reason, we’re going to  see more experimentation than ever before. It’s that simple.  

That was kinda my point - with everything being new theres a lot more opportunity for a company to take a swing at a guy who'd otherwise be entrenched in what he's always worn. 

In terms of the gear deals, I wasn't thinking so much about endorsements, more that with the deals ending there'd be an opportunity for a company to legitimately send out their unit to a pro without stepping on another company's / rep's toes. 

Interesting point with C/As and endorsements though, as you say - not marketable to the general public at all, but the value of having a pro in a C/A is that other pro's pick up on it to the point where a few models become an 'industry standard'; thinking of the P1, Velocity, one90 models here. 

It's kind of unclear to me tho... is Kenesky just making these C/A's with Holtby's, etc, name on it without them asking for it? Are they just sending "samples" to NHL goalies to test? Or have they actually ordered it and committed to using it? Else Kenesky "hitting the show" is a bit misleading. Maybe they won't be...?

Archived