Reason behind NHLers switching to a Kenesky C&A?

cwarnar

On 9/20/2018 at 4:06 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

This.  I thought I would be in Vaughn forever.  My next set, if there ever is one, will be Brian's.  Well, at least the pads and blocker.

Why?  So long as the colors all match who cares if its all different brands?

I do, I don't know why. It must be an OCD thing.  Anything that's a "set" has to be matching brand/model/color scheme.  I'm the same way with my player gear, my drums and cymbals are all matching sets and my riding gear are all matching sets except for my helmet and boots.  I'll deal with something I don't particularly like just to keep it as a matching set.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I do, I don't know why. It must be an OCD thing.  Anything that's a "set" has to be matching brand/model/color scheme.  I'm the same way with my player gear, my drums and cymbals are all matching sets and my riding gear are all matching sets except for my helmet and boots.  I'll deal with something I don't particularly like just to keep it as a matching set.

You lost me at the last part.  I'm as ocd as they come but I would have no problem rocking Brian's pads and blocker and a Vaughn T5500 glove so long as all their colors matched.  I wouldn't force myself to wear something just so everything was the same.  I hate change for that exact reason lol.  I hate having to get used to something new.

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

It's kind of unclear to me tho... is Kenesky just making these C/A's with Holtby's, etc, name on it without them asking for it? Are they just sending "samples" to NHL goalies to test? Or have they actually ordered it and committed to using it? Else Kenesky "hitting the show" is a bit misleading. Maybe they won't be...?

I spoke with Dave Wilcox and these units are being purchased by the teams for the goalies to test. I had made the comment about wanting Crawford's if it comes back to them as a pro return. but if they do sell it it will be through the team gear sale

4 hours ago, estogoalie said:

It's kind of unclear to me tho... is Kenesky just making these C/A's with Holtby's, etc, name on it without them asking for it? Are they just sending "samples" to NHL goalies to test? Or have they actually ordered it and committed to using it? Else Kenesky "hitting the show" is a bit misleading. Maybe they won't be...?

I was told team EQMs are ordering these for their guys.  

I have also heard from a few different sources that some other goalies (not the ones mentioned in this thread) can’t get used to the new NHL spec offering from CCM, and the guys who have traditionally worn Vaughn are getting bruised and beat up. 

30 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I was told team EQMs are ordering these for their guys.  

I have also heard from a few different sources that some other goalies (not the ones mentioned in this thread) can’t get used to the new NHL spec offering from CCM, and the guys who have traditionally worn Vaughn are getting bruised and beat up. 

The trick would be getting clear feedback on the Kenesky units by the testers. Are all units getting beat up because of the new regulations and people are hoping for a magic bullet? "Lots of people" are getting beat up in CCM because it's the most common maybe?

As an example, Fleury ordered a Brian's after testing the CCM and seeing Subbans. Halak has used a Brian's unit for 5+ years and is demoing a CCM now. So if we only have the Halak story, we think CCM rocks. If we only hear the Fleury story, we think Brian's rocks. 

Without talking to all the athletes as to why they are switching, we won't get the facts here. 

As an example, if Crawford and Ward stick with a Kenesky, but Holtby and Luo do not... We cant really draw any conclusions other than some people prefer unit A over unit B. 

The trick would be getting clear feedback on the Kenesky units by the testers. Are all units getting beat up because of the new regulations and people are hoping for a magic bullet? "Lots of people" are getting beat up in CCM because it's the most common maybe?

As an example, Fleury ordered a Brian's after testing the CCM and seeing Subbans. Halak has used a Brian's unit for 5+ years and is demoing a CCM now. So if we only have the Halak story, we think CCM rocks. If we only hear the Fleury story, we think Brian's rocks. 

Without talking to all the athletes as to why they are switching, we won't get the facts here. 

As an example, if Crawford and Ward stick with a Kenesky, but Holtby and Luo do not... We cant really draw any conclusions other than some people prefer unit A over unit B. 

I think what it is looking like is some are seeing how the different units handle the new NHL legal compared to their old units and whether or not they feel sufficiently “big” in net with the new unit from a different manufacturer.

Of course with no interview, this is pure speculation or a WAG.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

The trick would be getting clear feedback on the Kenesky units by the testers. Are all units getting beat up because of the new regulations and people are hoping for a magic bullet? "Lots of people" are getting beat up in CCM because it's the most common maybe?

As an example, if Crawford and Ward stick with a Kenesky, but Holtby and Luo do not... We cant really draw any conclusions other than some people prefer unit A over unit B. 

Sure, it’s the old Easton composite player stick theory. 

Back in the late 90s and early 00s, Easton was by far the biggest name in the league for sticks and shafts. 

Competitors would claim Easton products break more often. Technically true, as the overwhelming majority of players in the league would use an Easton composite stick or shaft.  In terms of pure volume, they are right  but if you were to compare percentage of failure by brand, all manufacturers would be relatively similar. 

For your example, do we know if Fleury and Halak ordered their own units or did their EQMs order them? 

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Sure, it’s the old Easton composite player stick theory. 

Back in the late 90s and early 00s, Easton was by far the biggest name in the league for sticks and shafts. 

Competitors would claim Easton products break more often. Technically true, as the overwhelming majority of players in the league would use an Easton composite stick or shaft.  In terms of pure volume, they are right  but if you were to compare percentage of failure by brand, all manufacturers would be relatively similar. 

For your example, do we know if Fleury and Halak ordered their own units or did their EQMs order them? 

Great point on the Easton sticks. That’s exactly what I was getting at

Its my understanding MAF wanted to try one after seeing Subban’s. I always get my info through a game of telephone... In the spirit of being responsible, I’m reluctant to say anything like that is a “fact”

16 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Now that I look closely, it looks like they are using a seatbelt-like material for the backplate/harness - at least for those two straps that attach from the backplate to the shoulders.

Can't tell if they're using the same material for the arms, but those looks like regular elastic straps to me.

Child seat straps

Because we are all kids inside

15 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Now that I look closely, it looks like they are using a seatbelt-like material for the backplate/harness - at least for those two straps that attach from the backplate to the shoulders.

Can't tell if they're using the same material for the arms, but those looks like regular elastic straps to me.

That's Genuine Saskatchewan Sealskin

11 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Anderson as well.  This one looks very different than the other we've seen

Screenshot_20180930-092922.thumb.png.67d1728c668d4f3e2e14dde520a5ac19.png

This coincides with comments I heard from Anderson kind of complaining how the he feels the puck more in the new c/a models.

Clearly Kenesky is customizing it`s units to a T to what the client likes. I believe this is a first in c/a productions. Usually the only mods are either in length or added padding, not full out redesigns. I`m impressed by their approach.

This coincides with comments I heard from Anderson kind of complaining how the he feels the puck more in the new c/a models.

Clearly Kenesky is customizing it`s units to a T to what the client likes. I believe this is a first in c/a productions. Usually the only mods are either in length or added padding, not full out redesigns. I`m impressed by their approach.

If the new expectation is that the units have to be built to the tender’s body shape, that is the way it SHOULD be done.

Kenesky gets it!

Am I loosing it - but these look slightly different in the shoulder area Crawfords unit looks bigger in that region than most of the others?

Also  why would Anderson complain that his unit protects less when all the mods where on the shoulder sizing I don't think they where too make them less protective?

On 9/25/2018 at 7:24 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

I think you're right. Look at the ends where the strap is cut off. You can see the white elastic showing.

On 9/30/2018 at 4:43 PM, Big2 said:

Am I loosing it - but these look slightly different in the shoulder area Crawfords unit looks bigger in that region than most of the others?

Also  why would Anderson complain that his unit protects less when all the mods where on the shoulder sizing I don't think they where too make them less protective? 

These are all made off the player's measurements.

Anderson isn't a big dude, he was probably benefitting a lot from the old "one size fits all" sizing of the old spec chest pads.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:46 AM, RichMan said:

Clearly Kenesky is customizing it`s units to a T to what the client likes. I believe this is a first in c/a productions. Usually the only mods are either in length or added padding, not full out redesigns. I`m impressed by their approach.

My understanding is that this is the way its always been done.  A lot of these guys have specs that haven't changed for years and every unit they get are made or altered to those specs.  They are nothing like off the shelf units.  Whats happened here recently is the specs had to change for most if not all of these guys.  A 170lb goalie could no longer look like a 240lb goalie.  Did it require less protection, not exactly, but the specs and the fit changed.  I would guess that the padding is a lot closer to the body now eliminating a lot of air gaps that likely existed before.

Noticed a handful of goalies in the NHL, Im pretty sure Holtby, (Craig) Anderson, Crawford, Ward, Rinne & Luongo are the current ones in it.

Also noticed- Half of them were in the AB Pro from CCM, after CCM Discontinued that model even to the NHLers, before making the switch. Holtby, Rinne, and Luongo are that half (unless im mistaken)
Is there any correlation? Is Kenesky doing what JRZ did with Budaj over this season with cloning his old Bauer Reactors? 

Noticed a handful of goalies in the NHL, Im pretty sure Holtby, (Craig) Anderson, Crawford, Ward, Rinne & Luongo are the current ones in it.

Also noticed- Half of them were in the AB Pro from CCM, after CCM Discontinued that model even to the NHLers, before making the switch. Holtby, Rinne, and Luongo are that half (unless im mistaken)
Is there any correlation? Is Kenesky doing what JRZ did with Budaj over this season with cloning his old Bauer Reactors? 

The new spec CA is uncharted territory. Some people are trying all of the new options, some have reportedly been feeling shots with the “legal spec” versions of their old one, and Kenesky has been trying to aggressively make inroads to have a piece of equipment in the NHL. 

Kenesky is one of the very most flexible custom manufacturers of equipment, so I can see them trying to make an NHL-compliant version of what the goalies you had mentioned had been wearing previously. 

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

The new spec CA is uncharted territory. Some people are trying all of the new options, some have reportedly been feeling shots with the “legal spec” versions of their old one, and Kenesky has been trying to aggressively make inroads to have a piece of equipment in the NHL. 

Kenesky is one of the very most flexible custom manufacturers of equipment, so I can see them trying to make an NHL-compliant version of what the goalies you had mentioned had been wearing previously. 

yeah i heard about Helleybuck saying how he said he felt a shot he otherwise wouldn't have felt in the new spec. Not sure why the NHL feels a need to do this, there wasn't much scoring issues last year

Archived