I’ve been away on vacation so catching up and posting a game from a couple weeks back. This was my team’s worst game of the season.  I was getting really frustrated by brutal positioning on my teammates and some lack of effort.  It was a good thing I went away on vacation after this game as I needed a mental break. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is video from my game last week.  Not a great game for me as I was not at all focused for the first two goals which should have been standard saves.  But pulled it together in the 2nd and our team ended up winning 7-4.

Check out the one 3rd period goal where I totally panicked and made the worse puck clearing attempt and could not square up to the shooter properly.  Just makes me realize that I have to always be focused on that puck.  No hesitations and be diligent.

A couple of comments if you don’t mind:

First off – as far as the clearing attempt is concerned, if it’s any consolation, you didn’t misplay it but rather mis-planned it. In this case you have two options – blast it away with a one-timer or cradle it and get set up for a pass – you chose the one-timer. For a one-timer your best (hardest, most powerful)shot is going to go in the direction of travel: you have your stick blade 90 degrees to your body and as well are using forward momentum in your favour. You got exactly what was expected in that the puck traveled pretty well along your original direction of travel, but that wasn’t really a good place to have it go. If you stop it just after you release the shot, look at where your closest player was – pretty well the middle of the blue line. Consider how you would have hard to turn your body and/or blade to hit him. If that was even possible, your shot would have had all the strength of a wet noodle. If you look at the speed of the approaching puck and the position of the attacking forward, you were better off to take a step or two and let the puck come to you and cradle it. Worst case scenario you have no one to pass it to so you rim it behind or even dump it in the corner and, being still close to home, retreat easily for you net as the forward chases it.

Second: if you freeze the video @ 2:32 – the puck is apparently very low to the goal line off to your right - at one point you back up inside the limits of the right post by a few inches. When the puck is low like that always hold tight to the post, otherwise the parts of your body nearest to the puck become nice big banking boards that better players will look for and exploit.

HIH

@old but slow and @Colander  Thank you both for the positive feedback and coaching tips!  I played defense most of my career so you would think I could easily rip a shot at the right angle off the boards or glass to get it out.  But I think that as a goalie being the last line of defense, having a more awkward stick and having a guy coming at you with speed panic set in.  Next time I'll take that extra second to stop the puck and shift to either throw it behind the net or pivot and send it up the left side.  

RVH and post leans are one of my weaker areas and I'm working hard to focus on making that seal to the post and then being able to push off to the other post.  I had a great game last night so looking forward to getting that edited video up.

Well my team had a great game this week.  We are now on a nice roll where guys are really driving the play on offence and in our zone they are much better positionally and not all chasing the puck. That all came together to help give me my first shutout of the season and first documented on video!  That is now my 4th career shutout since last September!  Check it out!

https://youtu.be/q0e8WwCNyhE

• 4 weeks later...

Check out my latest video where I've added text on suggestions for save analysis.  In this Friday Night Shinny Game I highlighted a number of goals and what I could have done differently.  Let me know what you think.  What would you have done differently?  Do you agree with my suggestions?  

@Max27 Absolutely love it!  I find it so quick to move and it is exceptional at deflecting pucks into the corners. It is just so easy using one arm to pass pucks out of my crease. 

Curtis cut this stick short so still getting used to the height 25” (I typically use 26” or 27”) and shortened shaft. The advantage of the shorter stick has helped me stay lower providing better balance and being quicker to butterfly. 

11 hours ago, Adam Cooper said:

@Max27 Absolutely love it!  I find it so quick to move and it is exceptional at deflecting pucks into the corners. It is just so easy using one arm to pass pucks out of my crease. 

Curtis cut this stick short so still getting used to the height 25” (I typically use 26” or 27”) and shortened shaft. The advantage of the shorter stick has helped me stay lower providing better balance and being quicker to butterfly. 

nice! i have a halak 1s but its broken so i cant use it but its so much lighter than my foam cores

i switched to a shorter stick (sherwood 26- warrior 25) and found it gives me more control over the stick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived