Pad strapping questions

dstew29

I currently have below Saros EF3 pro returns and out of the box was shocked at how little strapping he used (I'm sure this is more common at pro level than i know). I came from the old leather strapping every couple inches so this was another big adjustment for me the other night when I played in them for the first time. It basically has pro laces, two elastic straps  low / mid calf and one at knee block angled down and back (carey price type strap I think?). Also has two traditional leather straps, one mid / high calf and one at low knee block. I wore all the elastics snug and left the two leather straps pretty loose. For the pro laces, I just criss crossed through the front cowling opening and connected at mid forefoot ontop of my skate laces. There was nothing lacing to the back cowling of my boot as seen in the below pic.

Anyone has a similar strapping setup? My skates were giving me problems so that didn't help my comfort level in my stance but for some reason my stance just felt weird all game and I was trying to assess if part of that was the strapping (or lack there of from what I'm used to). My first thought was to maybe wear the leather mid calf strap a little snugger next time vs wearing it loose.

Also, notice in the pic that both Saros and Rinne are using some sort of lace on the toe tie vs pro laces. The lace goes to the back of the skate which I think replaces the old leather strap that used to go there (which I feel I'm more used to as well). Maybe that was part of the disconnect for me as well? Less contentedness between the boot and the skate??

3919c58365cfdab9a3027f505c9a771f

31 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

I currently have below Saros EF3 pro returns and out of the box was shocked at how little strapping he used (I'm sure this is more common at pro level than i know). I came from the old leather strapping every couple inches so this was another big adjustment for me the other night when I played in them for the first time. It basically has pro laces, two elastic straps  low / mid calf and one at knee block angled down and back (carey price type strap I think?). Also has two traditional leather straps, one mid / high calf and one at low knee block. I wore all the elastics snug and left the two leather straps pretty loose. For the pro laces, I just criss crossed through the front cowling opening and connected at mid forefoot ontop of my skate laces. There was nothing lacing to the back cowling of my boot as seen in the below pic.

Anyone has a similar strapping setup? My skates were giving me problems so that didn't help my comfort level in my stance but for some reason my stance just felt weird all game and I was trying to assess if part of that was the strapping (or lack there of from what I'm used to). My first thought was to maybe wear the leather mid calf strap a little snugger next time vs wearing it loose.

Also, notice in the pic that both Saros and Rinne are using some sort of lace on the toe tie vs pro laces. The lace goes to the back of the skate which I think replaces the old leather strap that used to go there (which I feel I'm more used to as well). Maybe that was part of the disconnect for me as well? Less contentedness between the boot and the skate??

3919c58365cfdab9a3027f505c9a771f

It sounds like you might just need time to get used to the new standard for pad strapping. The leather straps on your new pads don't add much, if anything to the fit of the pad. I think the one coming from the knee block has to be there to meet NHL standards, as the strap must come from the end of the block and not through the side. I have been wearing Brians pads with smart straps for the last few years, and would never consider a pad with leather straps now. I also do not wear a skate strap as i wore it so loose it did nothing. Most goalies wearing a skate strap wear it  around the back of the skate to help close the 5 hole. I think after a few skates you will love the setup.

3 hours ago, Md30 said:

It sounds like you might just need time to get used to the new standard for pad strapping.

I think after a few skates you will love the setup.

You're probably right. Way too early to tell what's causing what but just thought I'd see what others were using to rule stuff out.

How about the toe tie system they have? Are these just skate laces you think? I don't think the pro laces I have would stretch to the back of the skate and then clasp on top of my laces. Any thoughts on what system these guys are using in that pic?

@dstew29 I have almost the same setup minus the knee to calf leather strap but with the addition of a leather strap through the boot. It will take some getting used to. I like mine feeling pretty tight against my leg so all the elastics are pretty firm. The bottom one is more of a security blanket I think, but I like my woobie. I would refer to this as a Porter Mod to be honest... it's slightly different. Y strap and a lower calf elastic...

940358474_PorterMod(01).jpg.cbe9d978270b32f746ff7d360a7eb05e.jpg

My take on it...

498251911_PorterMod(05).jpg.eeca46ab46fb54548327f2317b11270b.jpg2017000040_PorterMod(03).jpg.c62018ec70b8d72b7c912804aa7683c9.jpg

As for the toe laces... I don't go all the way back on mine. Here's a look at roughly how I do it in the arrows (image taken from a response to another post yesterday on Pro Laces)... weaving further back will mainly add more tension on the shock cord is all.

image.png.f3a4db6e8c8efc1800a65c46e739a658.png

Ahh, I see said the blind man. Good detail on that Porter system. It almost looks like he's got that leather strap below the knee pretty taught, right? Different strokes I guess.

I'm still a little unsure about the lack of some sort of tie/strap through the back of the skate. I wonder how hard it would be to get one sewn in. Assuming any good tailor could figure it out? Maybe I'll look into that as well.

6 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Ahh, I see said the blind man. Good detail on that Porter system. It almost looks like he's got that leather strap below the knee pretty taught, right? Different strokes I guess.

I'm still a little unsure about the lack of some sort of tie/strap through the back of the skate. I wonder how hard it would be to get one sewn in. Assuming any good tailor could figure it out? Maybe I'll look into that as well.

The lack of it really just lets the pad sit up higher on your leg. Conversely adding one in would help pull it back down. In all honesty I keep mine so loose it's pretty much for aesthetics only as it runs through the front of my pad. I'd just have someone throw in some pieces where you could slide in mushroom straps instead.

3 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Are those stock knee blocks or did you add that grey piece? They look a little thicker for some reason.

They're stock. Just a nash. 

I'm no expert, but I think what you're seeing in the pic of Saros there, is a typical skatelace toe tie. The Pro Laces replace that, but still offer similar snugness with more bounce back of pad rotation.

In my experience, the leather straps are becoming less and less functional. I went from a V2, to a Simmons 997, to a G-Netik. The leather straps on the V2 were somewhat functional, especially toward the lower calf and skate area, though I still wore the skate strap loose. On the 997s, there are a ton of leather straps, like six maybe, and I'd say all are pointless. The elastic that holds the pad to my leg was doing all the work, all the straps were worn very loose. On the G-Netiks, there are two leather straps, one at the back of the knee, and one at the skate. Both are worn very loose and don't factor in to how the pad plays, and as @Md30 and @BadAngle41 said, most are there for requirements and/or aesthetics.

That said, the G-Netiks are new to me, about 10 skates in them thus far. I like the fewer straps, and the Pro Laces are amazing (only 3 skates in those). I'd consider taking the boot straps off even, but the ones on mine are sewn in, and I'm not ready to abandon that completely.

@goalie381 I see what you mean, and agree that this seems to be the new norm for pad strapping. My sample size in this setup is one skate so that's obviously a huge part of my discomfort level. That said, based on what I was coming from many years earlier, I do miss that "S" curve feeling of that pad. Especially from the knee break and up, where my current pads seem pretty straight. This demands that the pads cross over one another when in a crouch, and I never really dealt with that before. The pads I used, and maybe most pads back late 90s early 00s were not made with the big thigh rises. This will just take some adjustment but its part of the relearning factor.

Appropriate to this thread, I saw this pic of Martin Jones pop up on Goaliegearnerd instagram the other day. Shows a good example of what I felt I was lacking, with a tighter looking strap to back of the skates and a tight-ish strap just below the knee. 

image.thumb.png.27441f429808cc53f912508847e4aefb.png

Archived