Fixing old helmet or buying a new one? Need some suggestions

james

Hello guys!

I can't decide what would be the best choice, perhaps there is someone who knows and could suggest.

In my case, I have an old helmet that I have used for a long time, it does the job, however, the cage is rusty and also some inside pads aren't that comfortable anymore (and one of them is missing on a side as well).

There are two options: 

1. To fix the current helmet

2. Buy a new helmet

There are some concerns about the costs, a new helmet costs around 1000 eur in Europe (I have been told to use only above 600 eur helmets, since the helmet is the most important part of the equipment)

So my question is if it's possible to fix current helmet, perhaps someone can tell from pictures what model is the 'Itech' helmet, thus I could look in stores/online for parts (padding and cage, straps etc.)

What are your ideas?

Regards

20181007_180208.jpg

20181007_180225.jpg

20181007_180234.jpg

3 hours ago, james said:

Hello guys!

I can't decide what would be the best choice, perhaps there is someone who knows and could suggest.

In my case, I have an old helmet that I have used for a long time, it does the job, however, the cage is rusty and also some inside pads aren't that comfortable anymore (and one of them is missing on a side as well).

There are two options: 

1. To fix the current helmet

2. Buy a new helmet

There are some concerns about the costs, a new helmet costs around 1000 eur in Europe (I have been told to use only above 600 eur helmets, since the helmet is the most important part of the equipment)

So my question is if it's possible to fix current helmet, perhaps someone can tell from pictures what model is the 'Itech' helmet, thus I could look in stores/online for parts (padding and cage, straps etc.)

What are your ideas?

Regards

20181007_180208.jpg

20181007_180225.jpg

20181007_180234.jpg

Don't bother trying to fix it as the others have said. Sportmask has some dealers in Europe, but the best value is always Protechsport. $335 CAD for the fiberglass is pretty good, even with the shipping cost from North America. It is a long wait, however, but from what I can tell with others who have them you cannot go wrong.

2 hours ago, james said:

Thanks, guys for the replies.

So the fit is the most important, wondering, what helmet should I go for, as there loads of different makes.

If you can try something on in store that would be the best way without going custom like Protechsport.

You have 10 years old widow maker with a rusty cage, bad padding and loose straps . I think any new mask would be better. Good enough Wall W4 cost about 300€ and painted fiberglass REY maybe 400€ and Bauer 950x maybe 550€. Where do you live? 

13 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I say, any piece of gear over 5 years old needs to go.

Might still be good but technologies have advanced since that time and there is always something better out there.

I'd say that's poor advice.

There are a multitude of reasons why you shouldn't just replace gear after an arbitrary amount of time. Though, if it affects your safety, even if a piece is brand new it should be replaced. 

Archived