Seattle Kraken Expansion Team

seagoal

What do you all think should be the colors for the upcoming NHL team in Seattle?

It is pretty much locked in at this point.  Season ticket deposits are sold out, the city approved the arena upgrades, the NHL Executive Committee voted for approval, and the ownership group announced the training facility,  seen here

https://www.nhlseattle.com/

Pretty excited about that announcement. That facility is a 25 minute walk from my house and we badly need more rinks in the area. These would be the first in Seattle proper.

However,  there has been no official talk of the team name or colors.  Names aside, what colors should the team use? What colors are needed or underused in the league?

I think the most underused colors are purple and green.

Of those,  green is very Seattle, nicknamed the Emerald City. This city is constantly green due to the rain. We have the Sounders and Seahawks who both use (neon) green and Mariners who use teal, granted it is more blue than green real.  And of course the former Sonics,  who's primary color was green.  

Oh yeah, and the Stanley Cup champion Metropolitans used green, as well.

So, I think green is an inevitable choice.

I saw this goalie from UA Anchorage and I thought: that's it. Not only does it look Seattle and it would be a nice tip of the hat to the Sonics fans,  it is a color scheme not used in the NHL and would be a great way to represent the city and stand out in the league.

Thoughts? What do you all think about colors for NHL Seattle?

I also really like the colors salmon orange, battleship grey, and white. But that's behind green, sport gold, and white.

o.jpg

DpEuKCnUcAAiJQC.jpg

20181009_183430.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

I think you make Phoenix go back to their old style jerseys, Anaheim to their new-old thirds, LA back to purple-based jerseys, and this team either an emerald green of some kind or Seattle's signature navy/bright green. Add some memorability to the Pacific. Would boost jersey sales.

54 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

I like both you posted.  But I’ll say I’m a fan of the green yellow and white.  Old Minnesota North Stars look.  

Switch around the old Soundgarden line (outshined) feeling California looking Minnesota. 

See what I did there? 

Very nice Mike :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I think you make Phoenix go back to their old style jerseys, Anaheim to their new-old thirds, LA back to purple-based jerseys, and this team either an emerald green of some kind or Seattle's signature navy/bright green. Add some memorability to the Pacific. Would boost jersey sales.

That's a common theme around the hockey community here.

I just wonder how bright lime neon green would look in hockey.  It seems so.....flashy.

41 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

As long as you guys have an awful colour palette mixed with an awful name, this Vancouvrite will be happy. ;) 

We shall see.

I thought it was great that the Canucks owner has been so openly supportive and acknowledged the geographic rivalry potential. 

I'm sure the Canucks would love a road trip on a bus now and then. Seattle is so close.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

We shall see.

I thought it was great that the Canucks owner has been so openly supportive and acknowledged the geographic rivalry potential. 

I'm sure the Canucks would love a road trip on a bus now and then. Seattle is so close.

I'd love to road trip down.

Sure beats going to to Alberta.

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

The green and yellow actually made me think further back than Minnesota, to when Oakland had a team:

image.png.6b5ca3a4682c31ef6c898bffe3530588.pngimage.jpeg.60f8e2b02cfc076d54d316095deba909.jpeg

...and don't forget the skates (because white isn't just for goalie skate cowlings):

image.jpeg.47c35ac6624729fba18db0b009d750f9.jpeg

Those Seals uniforms just scream Seattle to me.  

Those are great colors. I forgot about them, well played 

I think the Golden Seals green/yellow/white is a likely forerunner. It's a pretty classic palette for sports teams (A's, Packers, etc), and the NHL hasn't had it since the mid-90's. And of course, there were the Seattle Sonics...

I could see a hypothetical situation where Vancouver reverts to their flying skate logo/colors full time, leaving the door open for Seattle to brand themselves with some form of (navy?) blue and green — something akin to the Seahawks, or maybe the Whalers. But I don't see that happening... even if the Flying Skate throwbacks are hugely popular, the Canucks wouldn't make the switch for another few years. The timing just doesn't work.

I'd love to see some purple in the NHL — but it doesn't really seem like a fit for Seattle (though a combination of purple and a stormy grey-blue could look cool...). I'm always hoping the LA Kings will realize how boring and played out their black/white/silver color scheme is (this coming from a guy with all white/black/silver gear) and re-embrace the purple and yellow. 

Edited by stackem30

I would love something vivid.

022c54dc497165983200bbabb8ba40e4--totems

I don't expect anything other than some over analyzed color scheme that is shown to sell the most and a team name that is safe as safe can get with all the current and predicted social corrections.

Maybe the

'Seattle Hockey Club'

We have no name or mascot that could offend anyone... If this name offends you, please contact us. We're apologize for being insensitive.

15 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I'd love to see some purple in the NHL — but it doesn't really seem like a fit for Seattle (though a combination of purple and a stormy grey-blue could look cool...). I'm always hoping the LA Kings will realize how boring and played out their black/white/silver color scheme is (this coming from a guy with all white/black/silver gear) and re-embrace the purple and yellow. 

I'll agree with you about the King's B/W being super boring, but I would not be able to stomach if they brought back the Lakers colours.

Just now, MTH said:

We have no name or mascot that could offend anyone... If this name offends you, please contact us. We're apologize for being insensitive.

The Vancouver Grizzlies rocked that colour scheme while they were here. I wouldn't be too surprised if that snuck in.

32 minutes ago, MTH said:

I don't expect anything other than some over analyzed color scheme that is shown to sell the most and a team name that is safe as safe can get with all the current and predicted social corrections.

Maybe the

'Seattle Hockey Club'

Ha, that's funny.  And all to familiar for Seattle.  Much more so in Portland,  for sure.

There's been a lot of talk around town and various polls and contests for names, as you can imagine.

The top name in many of these was Totems, which is the longtime name of a junior hockey program here.

Other top names are Sockeyes, Metropolitans, and Kraken.

Pilots has had some traction.

I'm personally really hoping for an S name.  Minus the Mariners,  all pro sports teams here start with S.

Kraken has awesome logo and mascot potential. but they'd inevitably be called the Krack, which wouldn't be flattering.

Facetious names around town are Soy Lattes,  Grinders, Liberals, Techies, and Ships.

I'm more picky about colors than names, but I do like Sockeyes and Kraken.

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, that's funny.  And all to familiar for Seattle.  Much more so in Portland,  for sure.

There's been a lot of talk around town and various polls and contests for names, as you can imagine.

The top name in many of these was Totems, which is the longtime name of a junior hockey program here.

Other top names are Sockeyes, Metropolitans, and Kraken.

Pilots has had some traction.

I'm personally really hoping for an S name.  Minus the Mariners,  all pro sports teams here start with S.

Kraken has awesome logo and mascot potential. but they'd inevitably be called the Krack, which wouldn't be flattering.

Facetious names around town are Soy Lattes,  Grinders, Liberals, Techies, and Ships.

I'm more picky about colors than names, but I do like Sockeyes and Kraken.

Kraken sounds really cool! I like too that it would be one of the very few teams that don't end with an "s" - good for trivia!

But would a kraken be seen as infringing a bit on Detroit's traditional association with 8-tentacled sea dwellers, which dates back to the original-6 era? Maybe not....? I mean, it's not like it's Detroit's logo or anything.

I really don't like 'Kraken' — I enjoy irony as much as the next young person, but how can we ever take the name/line seriously after Liam Neeson... plus, Kraken rum is just awful. Well, I don't like rum at all, actually...

I don't like Totems, just as a subject matter — my feelings on Native American names/images in sports varies greatly from case to case, but I don't see anything wrong with Totems if it's done respectfully. It just seems like an "eh" subject matter... an inanimate, immovable thing? It'd be like calling the Capitals the Monuments or the Statues. I just feel like there has to be something better... The northwestern Native American design aesthetic is very cool, though — I like how the Seahawks have a bit of that in their logo. Whether they go with Totems or not, I hope some of that comes through.

Not a fan of Metropolitans, especially since we have the Metropolitan division back in the East. I also grew up in NY/NJ, so I have a hard time not thinking of Mr. Met...

40 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I really don't like 'Kraken' — I enjoy irony as much as the next young person, but how can we ever take the name/line seriously after Liam Neeson... plus, Kraken rum is just awful. Well, I don't like rum at all, actually...

I don't like Totems, just as a subject matter — my feelings on Native American names/images in sports varies greatly from case to case, but I don't see anything wrong with Totems if it's done respectfully. It just seems like an "eh" subject matter... an inanimate, immovable thing? It'd be like calling the Capitals the Monuments or the Statues. I just feel like there has to be something better... The northwestern Native American design aesthetic is very cool, though — I like how the Seahawks have a bit of that in their logo. Whether they go with Totems or not, I hope some of that comes through.

Not a fan of Metropolitans, especially since we have the Metropolitan division back in the East. I also grew up in NY/NJ, so I have a hard time not thinking of Mr. Met...

I brought that up too, about Totems. 

The youth hockey organization here has a long history here and that's fine.  But, in 2018, I think taking on a Native American term/image as a sports name/logo is potentially very problematic.

It doesn't offend me, personally, but I find it a bit tacky and it opens up a whole host of problems that are way too easily avoidable.

Edited by seagoal

37 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I'm sure if they did anything associated with the Natives, they'd be able to do it tastefully and with a nod back to the art style. Like you said, the seahawks have that in their logo, as do the Canucks. It's pretty ingrained in our culture up here. 

I think they should resuse the old Whalers colours. Mostly because it would be neat to have an inverse colour scheme to the Canucks.

gordie-howe-vintage-hartford-whalers-green-jersey-in-stock-5.gif.jpg.f8276c8c5ef0244b64120af69eb062f5.jpg

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

I brought that up too, about Totems. 

The youth hockey organization here has a long history here and that's fine.  But, in 2018, I think taking on a Native American term/image as a sports name/logo is potentially very problematic.

It doesn't offend me, personally, but I find it a bit tacky and it opens up a whole host of problems that are way too easily avoidable.

How is that problematic in any shape?

The difference is whether or not it's done in respect or in fun of.

See Blackhawks vs Redskins.

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

How is that problematic in any shape?

The difference is whether or not it's done in respect or in fun of.

See Blackhawks vs Redskins.

The fact that it could be debated is the problem.

safe space!

safe space!