Cooper SK2000 Small **MINT**

HP29

Selling a white Cooper SK2000. It doesn't have the size printed, but appears to be a small.

I have original side bumpers (one seat on the left bumper wore off), skeletons, AND an original foam kit.

This thing is mint!

Price: $200 CAD

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0959.jpeg

IMG_0960.jpeg

I'll help you with the details as I know a little about these great lids.

The shell is definitely an adult large helmet. If that's the original foam, then, it too is an adult large. The SK2000 model is the equivalent to the later "SK2000L". Cooper made a SK2000 for adults and the SK2001 for smaller heads. Later they went to a SK2000S, SK2000M and a SK2000L. The large and the medium had the same shells with the medium using thicker padding (5/8"). The SK2001 and the SK2000S shells are the same and were smaller.

The bumpers are universal.

You can find the year of the helmet inside the shell. Look for the table with dots in it. Should be months and years for the table. The dots represent when it was molded. The latest date with a dot is the date. I'd put this at around 1988.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:54 PM, MTH said:

I'll help you with the details as I know a little about these great lids.

The shell is definitely an adult large helmet. If that's the original foam, then, it too is an adult large. The SK2000 model is the equivalent to the later "SK2000L". Cooper made a SK2000 for adults and the SK2001 for smaller heads. Later they went to a SK2000S, SK2000M and a SK2000L. The large and the medium had the same shells with the medium using thicker padding (5/8"). The SK2001 and the SK2000S shells are the same and were smaller.

The bumpers are universal.

You can find the year of the helmet inside the shell. Look for the table with dots in it. Should be months and years for the table. The dots represent when it was molded. The latest date with a dot is the date. I'd put this at around 1988.

So... dig this....

Thankfully, [and probably from you] I actually learned most of that through the GSBB days ☝️

Cool thing here - I have a pair of SK2000L, in different colours, bought from different places, at different times (both second hand), and they each have a sticker inside from November 1992. The dates are even only a few days apart!

Anyways, back to this helmet... I didn't realize about the table and the dots, so thanks for that new tip. According to mine,  this is from December 1986! HOWEVER, the shell matches up with my SK2000S and is noticeably smaller than all my large models. In fact, when I try to put the foam kit from a large into this bad boy, it's too big and won't match up with the screw holes, but the kit from a small does match up! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 3:58 PM, MTH said:

Interesting. How's it fit? on your head.

Oops, left you on "read", you know, like the fuckboys do.

It's little! The bucket is likely a small, I just couldn't say definitely without a size marking on it, but it's just a wee guy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just to pick up on some stated facts on this.

This helmet is a 53-60cm so about a Small to Medium.  The Large went to 62cm.  This is a 1st gen (with the 2nd version 1st gen graphics). The small size was the SK2001, which just had thicker padding. These shells then became the small sizes (SK2001/SK2000 S) of the 2nd gen, the only difference between this and those smaller sizes being the thickness of the padding.

Secondly the bumpers are NOT universal. The later gen ones will fit these, but not the other way around - i.e. the 1st gen (and small size) bumpers will NOT fit the later helmets as those shells were bigger. 

It is late 80s though.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, MTH said:

The first generation SKs were out right after it was acquired from WinnWell

Vintage Cooper SK 2000 Helmet Cooper HM50L Goalie Cage Hasek Combo on  PopScreen

They have the SK2000 under the Cooper and the padding is more vented (like the WinnWell). These are from late 70s early 80s.

Yeah the 1st gen had two styles of graphics on it (and yes the padding was slightly different, but it is interchangeable, and there were actually several variations in the padding), this is the second style of graphics on the 1st gen SK2000. You could call it the 1.5 gen I guess but they are both generally known as the 1st gen. This is from the mid to late 80s. It's not really another generation because the differences are cosmetic, whereas the 2nd gen was a totally new shell.

Around the 5:34 mark Charles explains that there's basically no difference between the version you describe and this version other than the graphics and padding. 

Archived