Painting Pads

CJ17

I came across this video the other day and was wondering if anyone has done this or tried something similar, painting goalie gear with acrylic paint.  The only reason I'm even considering this is because of Vaughn's nearly 16 week wait time and the inability to buy phoenix red jenpro.

@CJ17 I did this with a set of Warrior G2s using plasti dip. Search YouTube, there is a video of a guy doing it to a set of Vaughn’s. 

I was only trying to cover the black accents with white. It actually worked pretty well but I would not recommend trying to cover a dark color with a light color. You need a lot of coats. If you are just doing accents like me, weight won’t be an issue. Only trouble I found was if the corners/edges are exposed, you may get some peeling. I used mine post-painting several times and only got minor peeling and it wasn’t noticeable unless you were up close. 

I would be covering white jenpro so not too worried about about the bottom color coming through.  @Pauly35or00 did you thin the paint or leave it as is.  I could definitely see the acrylic paint adding weight and cracking if it was not thinned.  This mod would be done to a blocker so at least the paint wouldn't undergo the same constant flexing that pads would see.

57 minutes ago, CJ17 said:

I would be covering white jenpro so not too worried about about the bottom color coming through.  @Pauly35or00 did you thin the paint or leave it as is.  I could definitely see the acrylic paint adding weight and cracking if it was not thinned.  This mod would be done to a blocker so at least the paint wouldn't undergo the same constant flexing that pads would see.

If it's just a blocker and not much of it then acrylic could work but it will just chip away as you take shots. Pad Skinz is probably your best option for this. Punisher and Bunny's ideas will work well too.

Pad Skinz are probably the easiest of any method.

Also nothing wrong with using some good old fashioned coloured duct tape.

Edit: My father and I did thin the paint. He was an aerospace painter and definitely knew what he was doing but it made heavy pads much heavier and faded rather quickly. Covering read with blue was not and is not an easy cover.

Archived