Difference Between Optik and GNetik IV

SaveByRichter35

"In the short term, the new OPTIK line immediately replaces the SUB-ZERO product, but with the two distinct OPTIK pads to choose from, don’t be surprised if it eventually replaces G-NETIK too, with the more traditional Heritage line the lone carry over as a super-soft, old-school pad with knee rolls."

I think I found the source of the Optik replacing GNetik talk -- some speculation from Ingoalmag: https://ingoalmag.com/gear/ingoal-reviews-brians-new-optik-line/

I am glad though that they have continued the GNetik line. I have the originals and they seem like great pads, even at the age they are.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:32 PM, Brians_Joz said:

These are Reo's first takes of the G-NETik glove/blocker and its completely re-iterated. We have guys who used to hate the g-netik glove fall in love with it... its less bulky, has boa, best closure and snap on any Brian's glove to date, and has a unique feel and shape that makes you feel deeper in the glove compared to previous G-NETik's... Just like the Optik was a much superior glove to SZ, this is the same for the G-NETik models. As for the blocker, we wanted to focus on giving the blocker a very stable, solid feel with hard rebounds, while keeping it at the weight of the OPTIK and not making the BOA on the blocker be an afterthought.

As someone who really liked the G-NETik Pro 2 blocker, but didn't like the Pro 3 version, would I like the IV?

I think I like the idea of the 35 degree closure on the IV glove. I really liked my original G-NETik glove, but the nash in the palm made it difficult to close for me. I saw that part of the IV palm is nash as well this time around - how does it avoid this issue from the original version?

On 10/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, keeperton said:

Probably true. The default listed toe tapers are 90 for FLY and 80 for FLX.

G3NETiKs are 80.

Ah, my mistake.  I knew they had an 8x* break I just didn't remember exactly what it was.

On 10/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, Max27 said:

Genetik you can  pick the flex ratings. Optik you get flx or fly core on genetiks you can pick the flex ratings of the break above the knee, below, and the boot. The boot flex if you get a 4 or 5 is called a hyperflex boot. 1 is the stiffest rating and 5 is the softest.

Yea I know I already listed those as things I knew were different.  Thank you though.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:51 AM, TheGoalNet said:

1. Every company has 2 lines of gear. There will be a new pad every 12 months for every major brand. Please know that before you buy anything. 

2. There's a difference between pads and retail and once you start customizing them...

Stock EF4 and P2 will probably be pretty different. Once I got on the customizer and start messing with the beaks and such... the lines can blur pretty close together. 

3. Stock Optik is the FLY and Stock GNetik is 4-3-1. Those are very different right there. If you order custom and go Optik FLX it will be more like a GNetik or go 4-1-1 GNetik it will be more like Optik FLY

4. Optik has internal knee rolls on the core and Optik does not

5. GNetik has a harder knee block as stock

6. GNetik has a different knee cradle

7. The materials underneath the primo on the Opti-slide are different 

8. Optik will have a "boxier" feel when you're in the butterfly 
9. Gnetik's core is more customizable with the classic Boot, knee, thigh 

So yes, the pads might sounds very similar... but there are distinct differences between the two. Once you start customizing, you can throw the differences out the window 

Thanks for the details.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:13 PM, raucebyalien said:

If you go on the Brians website and the pads page for the G-IV's there is a link on the right hand side that says 'compare models' (or something to that effect) which brings up an overlay on the page that breaks down the differences in break, weight, strapping etc between the G-IV's, Heritage and both chassis types for the Optiks. 

In terms of specs alone (and not accounting for the different features each model has), the FLX Optik and G-IV have exactly the same break profile with the differences being in the strapping set up and boot taper.

Thanks, I am going to check this out

On 10/15/2018 at 7:32 PM, Brians_Joz said:

First off, I don't know who said the Optik FLX replaced the G-NETik line, because that was never the intention. The Optik replaced the SubZero Pro 3, and the FLX gave a double break-like option for the Optik since the outer roll is so thin and streamlined that making exterior breaks in it was pointless, hence the core options. 

There is a distinct difference in feel between Optik (FLX or FLY) vs. G-NETIK IV. The IV has much more playability/torsional flex in the core which doesn't confine you to a boxy feel. I could never personally play well in a SubZero or Optik pad because its not my style anymore... I am much more successful in the G-NETik/Heritage. The goal of the IV was to really up the performance of the G-NETik 3... borrowing some of the best performance features of Optik, such as primo / Opti-slide inner gusset, while taking the rotation/stability/seal/strapping to the next level. We didn't want any gimmicks on this line, just the very best line we could put out. I can give you my word, the Optik and the IV are in no way shape or form alike or play the same. Also, the glove and blocker are a huge improvement from the G-NETik Pro 3... These are Reo's first takes of the G-NETik glove/blocker and its completely re-iterated. We have guys who used to hate the g-netik glove fall in love with it... its less bulky, has boa, best closure and snap on any Brian's glove to date, and has a unique feel and shape that makes you feel deeper in the glove compared to previous G-NETik's... Just like the Optik was a much superior glove to SZ, this is the same for the G-NETik models. As for the blocker, we wanted to focus on giving the blocker a very stable, solid feel with hard rebounds, while keeping it at the weight of the OPTIK and not making the BOA on the blocker be an afterthought. All which was achieved. 

I look forward to you seeing the model in person, I do not think anything on the market compares in build quality, materials, or performance. 

Thanks for coming on and rectifying everything straight from the "horse's mouth"

On 10/15/2018 at 9:52 PM, TheGoalNet said:

You and @SaveByRichter35 ‘s initial banter was great. Spawned a very useful and productive thread.

lots of people walking into a store will have these questions 

Yea, @coopaloop1234 and I banter well together.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ah, my mistake.  I knew they had an 8x* break I just didn't remember exactly what it was.

Yea I know I already listed those as things I knew were different.  Thank you though.

oh i didnt read the other replies lol my bad

Anyone know why their Hyperflex 5 boot isn't offered on the customizer? Or if a 2 thigh break (stock is 3) will have an external break? ?

This pad (should) solve all the problems I have with my Optiks...or maybe I'm just making up a new excuse to get sweet new stuff.

having a pretty difficult time choosing a design...this design is one of my favourites. 

Screenshot 2018-10-18 18.20.04.png

Screenshot 2018-10-18 18.25.37.png

On 10/17/2018 at 3:12 PM, Teezle said:

As someone who really liked the G-NETik Pro 2 blocker, but didn't like the Pro 3 version, would I like the IV?

I think I like the idea of the 35 degree closure on the IV glove. I really liked my original G-NETik glove, but the nash in the palm made it difficult to close for me. I saw that part of the IV palm is nash as well this time around - how does it avoid this issue from the original version?

What did you like from the Pro 2 that you didnt on the Pro 3? They were very close in construction minus better finger protection on the latter. The IV is completely new.. it's much lighter, has redesigned sidewall, has the palm and finger protection from Optik, has new balance/feel, and has a fantastic BOA setup. It has been all the pro's fav blocker by far. 

The G-NETik 1 had a "pro palm" laid around the break of the palm and interfered with closure a bit, it had nothing to do with the Nash. The G-NETik IV is polar opposite in terms of closure/snap/seal of the original, it closes better than any Brian's glove.. All the Nash does is add a bit of friction/grip in palm area. Seems the new glove is really for you.

Also to re-iterate, this is Reo (and mine) first go at the G-NETik line for gloves (similar as Optik was first glove try of the SZ).. all previous were done by Ben Ward. Our goal was to take his creations to the next level. 

15 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Anyone know why their Hyperflex 5 boot isn't offered on the customizer? Or if a 2 thigh break (stock is 3) will have an external break? ?

This pad (should) solve all the problems I have with my Optiks...or maybe I'm just making up a new excuse to get sweet new stuff.

having a pretty difficult time choosing a design...this design is one of my favourites. 

Screenshot 2018-10-18 18.20.04.png

Screenshot 2018-10-18 18.25.37.png

You can't lose with either of those designs, both look sharp and will really pop in person. 

We eliminated the 5 flex because it was so close to a 4, it really made no sense... the HyperFlex 5 was called out on previous model because the flex of the boot was overall softer than previous models, this continues and the 4 will give you that feel without adding another number option. Really at the boot the numbers mean how big of a radius the cut in the boot is.. once it gets to 4 or 5 its so negligible. 

Stock flex at thigh is a 1, not 3..  1 means no break internally or external (will still flex though and i really like this stock set up). 2 means internal break, no external. 3 and 4 is internal and external, again very close to each other, just 4 more extreme.

37 minutes ago, Brians_Joz said:

What did you like from the Pro 2 that you didnt on the Pro 3? They were very close in construction minus better finger protection on the latter. The IV is completely new.. it's much lighter, has redesigned sidewall, has the palm and finger protection from Optik, has new balance/feel, and has a fantastic BOA setup. It has been all the pro's fav blocker by far. 

The G-NETik 1 had a "pro palm" laid around the break of the palm and interfered with closure a bit, it had nothing to do with the Nash. The G-NETik IV is polar opposite in terms of closure/snap/seal of the original, it closes better than any Brian's glove.. All the Nash does is add a bit of friction/grip in palm area. Seems the new glove is really for you.

Also to re-iterate, this is Reo (and mine) first go at the G-NETik line for gloves (similar as Optik was first glove try of the SZ).. all previous were done by Ben Ward. Our goal was to take his creations to the next level. 

Thanks for the replies and clarification!

Did the palm position change slightly from the Pro2 to the Pro3? When I tried on the Pro3 in the store I remember it feeling like it was pulling my hand down instead of letting it sit naturally. It also felt more constricting at the wrist even when I fully undid the wrist strap, which I thought was odd because I am fairly small (5'7"). Could just be a weird "me" issue!

It may have been that extra padding around the break of the glove that caused this, but the nash in the palm was also raised up from the surface of either side of break. So that when it closed and they touched, the rest of the glove was not quite all the way closed. It was like this: __--n--_b_--n--__ (n = nash, b = break). Sounds like the new one is a good candidate!

I'm currently in the Optik pads and I love them, but maaaaybe I need a wedding present to myself.

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

Did the palm position change slightly from the Pro2 to the Pro3? When I tried on the Pro3 in the store I remember it feeling like it was pulling my hand down instead of letting it sit naturally. It also felt more constricting at the wrist even when I fully undid the wrist strap, which I thought was odd because I am fairly small (5'7"). Could just be a weird "me" issue!

It may have been that extra padding around the break of the glove that caused this, but the nash in the palm was also raised up from the surface of either side of break. So that when it closed and they touched, the rest of the glove was not quite all the way closed. It was like this: __--n--_b_--n--__ (n = nash, b = break). Sounds like the new one is a good candidate!

I'm currently in the Optik pads and I love them, but maaaaybe I need a wedding present to myself.

I am sure @Brians_Joz can answer with a stronger explanation, but yes, the way your hand sits inside has been improved too. With some pro feedback, they tweaked it so that it pulls your hand into the glove more. 

2 hours ago, Teezle said:

The Nash was raised by the padding under it.. had nothing to do with the Nash itself. The new model does not have that extra padded layer. Again I would stop concerning yourself with the Nash, as it was the internals causing your issues.

Palm position was same between 2 and 3. Just wait for the new one to hit stores and put one on... will feel much improved in all aspects.

4 hours ago, Brians_Joz said:

You can't lose with either of those designs, both look sharp and will really pop in person. 

We eliminated the 5 flex because it was so close to a 4, it really made no sense... the HyperFlex 5 was called out on previous model because the flex of the boot was overall softer than previous models, this continues and the 4 will give you that feel without adding another number option. Really at the boot the numbers mean how big of a radius the cut in the boot is.. once it gets to 4 or 5 its so negligible. 

Stock flex at thigh is a 1, not 3..  1 means no break internally or external (will still flex though and i really like this stock set up). 2 means internal break, no external. 3 and 4 is internal and external, again very close to each other, just 4 more extreme.

Thanks Joz! Should get my order completed in the next week or so. Too bad it's the busy season...the waiting is the hard part. 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, Brians_Joz said:

The Nash was raised by the padding under it.. had nothing to do with the Nash itself. The new model does not have that extra padded layer. Again I would stop concerning yourself with the Nash, as it was the internals causing your issues.

Palm position was same between 2 and 3. Just wait for the new one to hit stores and put one on... will feel much improved in all aspects.

I appreciate the clarification! I'll have to make a trip up to Dallas to try them on at goaliemonkey when they hit stores.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 10:25 AM, Brians_Joz said:

The imaging all shows the Gn IV with the external break at the knee, if I was to request a custom flex 2 at the knee would this mean no external break, how would the internal knee rolls/torsional flex be effected by stiffer flex options all around? I'm coming from SZ2s with Gn2 gloves and was thinking about Optiks but haven't been able to see them in person as of yet, the IVs looked and felt incredible. I heard a podcast with you, Joz, and you had mentioned the love for the IVs is so huge that all your Pros will be in them instead of the Optik.

Another question about the outer roll: Since there isn't really one on the Optik, would that cause some earlier breakdown, as in, even with stiffer flex settings, without the outer roll, would the pad more rapidly soften up compared to a stiff flex IV (using stiffer settings to offset the internal knee rolls with the outer roll)?

Lastly, a question about Darlings Whaler sets: They're fucking awesome, first off. But is the retro tan set, with external knee rolls, actually a heritage/IV combination or can you add external/semi-filled knee rolls to a flat face pad like the IV as opposed to just having "knee roll" stitching?

On 10/15/2018 at 5:14 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Of course, they want to push as many people towards their main offers.

You can still get a fully customized kit with different flex points than what is originally offered. It's kind of Brian's whole shtick.

brians said you cannot get outer breaks on optiks because the outer roll is so thin having an outer break wouldnt do anything

On 10/15/2018 at 7:32 PM, Brians_Joz said:

We have guys who used to hate the g-netik glove fall in love with it... its less bulky, has boa, best closure and snap on any Brian's glove to date, and has a unique feel and shape that makes you feel deeper in the glove compared to previous G-NETik's... 

Having played around with this glove the other day I will second all of the above.   I was 100% done with Brian's gloves after a SZ1 and a Gnetik2.  Neither performed poorly by any stretch of the imagination, but neither one felt "right" either.  So even though I'm in Brian's from head to to toe, I'm now using a Vaughn VE8 Pro Carbon catcher and am happy as could be.  Pucks that hit off the thumb of my Brian's gloves just seem to find the pocket of the Vaughn.  I stick my hand out, and the puck goes where it should.  It's great!

However, after playing with the G-IV a little bit I'm really tempted to give Brian's another chance.  It's just as light as my Vaughn, closes like a dream (almost totally broken in, and the guy at the store handed it to me straight out of the box as he was putting their new shipment out) and the BOA is the best way to secure a glove to your hand on the market.   Added bonus:  If I closed my eyes I'm not sure I could tell it and my VE8 apart in terms of closure/pocket location.  I went round and round on the Optik because I wanted to stay with Brian's (love their quality) but wasn't convinced it would perform any better for me than the previous two gloves from them.   If the right deal comes along on a Gnetik IV I'll have a very hard time saying no.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I’m currently going back and forth between optik or gnetik4. I’ve been using a factory mad glove for the past two years, does anyone have any input as to which model would be the most similar to the factory mad piece?

3 hours ago, Shady80 said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I’m currently going back and forth between optik or gnetik4. I’ve been using a factory mad glove for the past two years, does anyone have any input as to which model would be the most similar to the factory mad piece?

Both should be sort of similar.

I've never worn a Factory Mad glove so I'm not exactly sure how they close. I remember Dennis swearing by a finger-to-thumb closure? 

The Gnetik4 will be 590ish closure (what you want if you want the finger-to-thumb) and the Optik has a two hinge closure (on and overlapping-T). "On-T" Optik will close super similar to a Vaughn/600 break.

@TheGoalNet has used all three and will give you the best opinion.

44 minutes ago, Shady80 said:

I have a subzero3 that I had Dennis work on for me, for some reason it’s just never felt right on my hand though, especially in the thumb I always felt like it was trying to pull my thumb in a weird angle.

Subzero is a different closure. It's what the Optik offset T became. Sounds like you'd prefer the Gnetik4 glove just by hearing what you're looking for. 

1 hour ago, Aquilzz said:

Both should be sort of similar.

I've never worn a Factory Mad glove so I'm not exactly sure how they close. I remember Dennis swearing by a finger-to-thumb closure? 

The Gnetik4 will be 590ish closure (what you want if you want the finger-to-thumb) and the Optik has a two hinge closure (on and overlapping-T). "On-T" Optik will close super similar to a Vaughn/600 break.

@TheGoalNet has used all three and will give you the best opinion.

All Factory Mad gloves are Index finger to thumb, middle of palm break, baseball style, T5500, 600, etc etc

In Brian's speak, it would be closest to an Optik / SZ broken in "on break".

With that said, Dennis' glove close so easily, it's sorta hard to not be okay with them.

Archived