Vaughn SLR 2

TheGoalNet

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Anyone have any inside info on when the SLR2 will be available at retail? I was going to order a set of SLR but if the 2 are right around the corner I can wait it out.

Believe Vaughn is going with a more traditional release cycle and this will be spring 2019

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Believe Vaughn is going with a more traditional release cycle and this will be spring 2019

As much as I'd like to think I can wait that long I know that isn't happening. Now just to decide if I go with the SLR or give the PVEs a shot since they are a couple hundred cheaper. Anyone know how the stiffness compares to the two? I'm currently using a set of Vapors so everything is going to be softer but I'd still like some pop off the pad face.

35 minutes ago, wox33 said:

As much as I'd like to think I can wait that long I know that isn't happening. Now just to decide if I go with the SLR or give the PVEs a shot since they are a couple hundred cheaper. Anyone know how the stiffness compares to the two? I'm currently using a set of Vapors so everything is going to be softer but I'd still like some pop off the pad face.

@Matt35  uses PVEs

35 minutes ago, wox33 said:

PVE’s are definitely softer. They are a V7 XF pad with the SLR strapping. 

Thanks for the reply's. Still on the fence so we'll see what impulsive decision I come up with lol. As much as I like the benefits of super stiff pads it's starting to take a toll on my hips. Really the main reason I started leaning towards Vaughn as I enjoyed my V5s when I had them. I do have a question though for those who have been in recent Vaughn's as to the sizing. I'm a 34 in CCM and Medium in Bauer but my old V5s were 35 but from what I've read I would be fine in a 34 now.

10 hours ago, seagoal said:

My understanding is that Vaughn = CCM+1.

That had always been mine as well but I had been reading that may not be the case anymore so it has me a bit worried since the closest place I have to try on anything is about 4 hours away.

15 hours ago, wox33 said:

Thanks for the reply's. Still on the fence so we'll see what impulsive decision I come up with lol. As much as I like the benefits of super stiff pads it's starting to take a toll on my hips. Really the main reason I started leaning towards Vaughn as I enjoyed my V5s when I had them. I do have a question though for those who have been in recent Vaughn's as to the sizing. I'm a 34 in CCM and Medium in Bauer but my old V5s were 35 but from what I've read I would be fine in a 34 now.

Curious to hear a bit about your experience and how the soft pad helps with the hips.  What kind of hip pain are you experiencing?  how has the stiff pad made the hips worse?

22 hours ago, wox33 said:

I’m sure you’ve gotten some responses from this but yes, it definitely plays more like a hybrid pad but at the same time it still shoots those rebounds out where you need them. 

and since we’re all posting pictures of our pads... 

0D384D69-578F-4A86-B61A-56B944C01E5D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I’m sure you’ve gotten some responses from this but yes, it definitely plays more like a hybrid pad but at the same time it still shoots those rebounds out where you need them. 

and since we’re all posting pictures of our pads... 

0D384D69-578F-4A86-B61A-56B944C01E5D.jpeg

Are you also using the glove that goes with the set? I was debating spending the extra on the VE8 one piece since I haven't been in a two piece glove since back when I had Bauer do up a Rollie spec RX10. The only Vaughn glove I've ever used is the 5500 and while I can get along with it I have become awfully married to the 590 style.

20 hours ago, Max27 said:

is there actually any internal changes to the pve than xf or is it legit the same pad w slr straps and a different graphic

Here is the description from Goalie Monkey. For the exact specs it would probably be best to contact Vaughn 

19A17014-E9E4-4AC4-9AA7-E316A2DA0ED8.png

8 hours ago, Goalline said:

Curious to hear a bit about your experience and how the soft pad helps with the hips.  What kind of hip pain are you experiencing?  how has the stiff pad made the hips worse?

It’s not so much what the pad is doing to cause hip pain it’s that as I get more inflexible the more I’m fighting the pad. The Vapors really don’t allow for much cheating as far as the butterfly is concerned. You need to drive the knees fully and even a little lift you open the seal to the ice. Only playing at most two times a week these days I need all the help I can get and to make the Bauer’s work I feel like I’m over extending my hips as I just don’t have that level of flexibility anymore and I can’t imagine I’m going to put in the work to get back to that stage. 

9 minutes ago, wox33 said:

It’s not so much what the pad is doing to cause hip pain it’s that as I get more inflexible the more I’m fighting the pad. The Vapors really don’t allow for much cheating as far as the butterfly is concerned. You need to drive the knees fully and even a little lift you open the seal to the ice. Only playing at most two times a week these days I need all the help I can get and to make the Bauer’s work I feel like I’m over extending my hips as I just don’t have that level of flexibility anymore and I can’t imagine I’m going to put in the work to get back to that stage. 

Try a double break pad, I’d imagine that along with your knee being centered of the landing will help you greatly 

54 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Try a double break pad, I’d imagine that along with your knee being centered of the landing will help you greatly 

The vapors have a double internal break. It’s not really the break in this case but more the overall design of the pad. The Vapors are honestly my favorite pads that I’ve used but they just aren’t what’s best for my style these days. That’s why I was looking to get into the SLRs in the first place since it seemed like a softer overall pad but still holding some of the characteristics of the Bauer’s that I liked. 

Biggest problem is I posted my set up for sale to see if there was any interest and they sold day of and now I need to find a set ASAP lol. 

23 minutes ago, wox33 said:

The vapors have a double internal break. It’s not really the break in this case but more the overall design of the pad. The Vapors are honestly my favorite pads that I’ve used but they just aren’t what’s best for my style these days. That’s why I was looking to get into the SLRs in the first place since it seemed like a softer overall pad but still holding some of the characteristics of the Bauer’s that I liked. 

Biggest problem is I posted my set up for sale to see if there was any interest and they sold day of and now I need to find a set ASAP lol. 

Gotcha, well the PVE is definitely way softer than SLR, so that might be what you’re looking for. Either that or warrior

14 hours ago, wox33 said:

goaliemonkey has some really good deals on gear rn w cyber week, id check there if i was u

On 11/27/2018 at 9:47 PM, wox33 said:

A Vapor double break is still a pretty stiff pad. I’d guess that a Vapor is stiffer than an SLR.

Stiff varies wildly between companies 

46 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

A Vapor double break is still a pretty stiff pad. I’d guess that a Vapor is stiffer than an SLR.

Stiff varies wildly between companies 

That was what I was trying to convey. That you can’t just say use a double break since any double break Bauer pad right now is still one of the stiffest pads you could wear. 

52 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

For anyone currently using the SLR1 or any Professor strap, how does it interact with your knee pads?

I do worry that the strap may bump up or get caught on the lower portion of my knee pads.

Based on my demo of the SLRs, and the strap on my 2S that I added to about the same place, the thing you might run into is how tight you can actually wear the strap based on how bulky the knee pads are. 

When I wore my V7 double shield knee pads I had to loosen the strap a bit because when I stood up it felt like the knee pads were trying to hulk through the pads. Recently switched to my Maltese KTPs and will have to tighten it back up because the pads were a little too floppy. 

I'm also not using any elastic on my strap though. The Vaughn version with elastic has more give and I didn't notice that issue with the SLRs.

No actual interference while playing with any of the knee pads I wore (Bauer, Vaughn, Maltese).

12 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Based on my demo of the SLRs, and the strap on my 2S that I added to about the same place, the thing you might run into is how tight you can actually wear the strap based on how bulky the knee pads are. 

When I wore my V7 double shield knee pads I had to loosen the strap a bit because when I stood up it felt like the knee pads were trying to hulk through the pads. Recently switched to my Maltese KTPs and will have to tighten it back up because the pads were a little too floppy. 

I'm also not using any elastic on my strap though. The Vaughn version with elastic has more give and I didn't notice that issue with the SLRs.

No actual interference while playing with any of the knee pads I wore (Bauer, Vaughn, Maltese).

Thanks man. Definitely seems like a bring my kneepads into the LHS and test it out myself type of deal.

Archived