Vaughn SLR 2

TheGoalNet

I wear top end Ritual knee pads with the long, fairly rigid lower knee segment and I was noticing the professor strap interacting with it, for sure.  To be fair, I have only skated with my new pads and not played hockey yet (long story), but it was in the same part of my leg and interacting.  I found the strap itself to be annoying short and could have used a some more elastic with these particular knee pads.

One thing I noticed with this strap is that it made the my pads sit up higher/taller.  I wasn't really aware that that was an intent of the strap, but it makes perfect sense.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I wear top end Ritual knee pads with the long, fairly rigid lower knee segment and I was noticing the professor strap interacting with it, for sure.  To be fair, I have only skated with my new pads and not played hockey yet (long story), but it was in the same part of my leg and interacting.  I found the strap itself to be annoying short and could have used a some more elastic with these particular knee pads.

One thing I noticed with this strap is that it made the my pads sit up higher/taller.  I wasn't really aware that that was an intent of the strap, but it makes perfect sense.

Good to know. My knee pads the the ritual's that came with my R/GT's, so essentially the same. I like the idea of the professor strap, but the potential interference has me questioning whether or not getting a SLR pad would work for me or not.

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s Alex Lyon 

look stock 

BAB12C57-DE96-4E49-B962-3088006B19AE.jpeg

I’m not sure why this is but if you look at the screws that hold the toe bridge on they are different colors. My senior goalie had a set of Vaughn V7 XF’s and the little leather washer like part under the screw was colored to match the color in that zone but there is no color difference here... so any reason why this could be?

I had a look at the product, and it was essentially the SLR with Brian's primo on the sliding edge. There are of course other small changes but nothing that much different. 

They decided to use flex toes which I think is a horrible idea, given how the original flex toes had the propensity to break/snap.

iono, it didn't make me very excited. Not even nearly as much as I was with the E-flex4. 

Kinda MEH in general.

4 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

I’m not sure why this is but if you look at the screws that hold the toe bridge on they are different colors. My senior goalie had a set of Vaughn V7 XF’s and the little leather washer like part under the screw was colored to match the color in that zone but there is no color difference here... so any reason why this could be?

Lighting.  I've taken pictures of my gear where one screw looked like a different color than the rest. 

21 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Will that cost extra, if so, how much?

I believe basic custom is the same price as retail. Basic custom would include things like size, colors, changing breaks or flex points, and possibly changing the straps a bit. Things like custom graphic, custom or non-stock leg channels, embroidery etc will lead to upcharges that vary depending on the request. (speaking mainly on Vaughn as CCM has custom options but you cannot go outside those limitations.)

10 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Will that cost extra, if so, how much?

what @AG37 said is correct- basic custom options like breaks are not going to provide an upcharge

CCM has a great customizer from this bc things like custom strapping (by custom i mean not retail/stock) aren't upcharges. You wont get a 1 off pad that u could get from Brians but it seems to have something for everyone

Has anyone been told that the slr's run slightly larger?  For example, I was at a retail store looking at mainly 34+1s.  I'm currently in a 34+2.  When i tried on the SLRs, they told me it runs a little large, and i should try the 33+2.  I did, and honestly it felt like the right size.  Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with the SLR in particular and if the same applies to the SLR2.  

7 minutes ago, Goalline said:

Has anyone been told that the slr's run slightly larger?  For example, I was at a retail store looking at mainly 34+1s.  I'm currently in a 34+2.  When i tried on the SLRs, they told me it runs a little large, and i should try the 33+2.  I did, and honestly it felt like the right size.  Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with the SLR in particular and if the same applies to the SLR2.  

If you're referring to velocity, you're right. I fit a 34+x velocity just fine, but I'm a 33+x in SLR / Warrior / CCM / Bauer / Brians

There could be some geometry changes to the boot that would make the new ones larger, as is the case with VE8 Velocity pads. 

I'm ideally a half size between a 35 and 36, at least historically with Velocity pads that settle.  I had my sales rep and Vaughn tell me I could be in a 34 with current models.

Seems like they've calibrated sizes on current model stuff to be bigger than in previous generations.

My 36 V6 pads match perfectly to my 35 VE8 pads.

Archived