Foamcore Blade Damage

Lucky Pucker

Had a collision yesterday in a game. Was more concerned about my person than my gear, but was no worse for wear. As play resumed and went to the other end, I noticed by blade must have had a skate blade go into it.

looking for input on this: re-tape and re-use? I’m not too fussy about blade taping, so I’d be willing to go to the end of the toe. I’m also not a great puck handler, so it’s not a critical part of my game.

On the other hand, maybe it’s time to buy a new “twig”, something nice and “clean”...? I’m jonesing for a new blocker trapper set for the new year, so I gotta pick my battles for hockey purchases.

best pics I could get:

07946D2D-FC7C-45F1-A2C1-D44FC5A7E343.jpeg

C85E3DDE-B820-4FF3-BD1A-F810285CE7DB.jpeg

751C5A98-AD0D-49A9-94B6-CF2F92AD3406.jpeg

D35C5027-D969-40D0-9E48-ECFFB323B55E.jpeg

A709BCF6-5C30-48F0-801F-8D8066E5BB45.jpeg

Being that it's at the end of the toe, probably not a big concern.  I played for months with a wood stick that was splintered at the heel.  Only got rid of it cause I got composites at 2 for 1 sale.

If you want to get fancy and repair it, you could just use an auto body fibreglass repair kit.  Or wrap some tape parallel with the blade then tape over as usual.  Just sand the sharp edges first.  :)

40 minutes ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Being that it's at the end of the toe, probably not a big concern.  I played for months with a wood stick that was splintered at the heel.  Only got rid of it cause I got composites at 2 for 1 sale.

If you want to get fancy and repair it, you could just use an auto body fibreglass repair kit.  Or wrap some tape parallel with the blade then tape over as usual.  Just sand the sharp edges first.  :)

Cool - cheers for that. 

And if it does crap out on me... well if you have 2 composites, and you’re not a full right goalie from your videos, and I think you live in Ottawa... maybe I’ll swing by and take one off your hands - lol!

I've had a shot explod the heel of my one stick I'm using since ever, two games ago, so I swapped to the back-up for that specific game and retapped it once I got home.

Bassically, I've put strips of tape to reshape and restraighten the heel and normal tapped over it.  I probably bought it a couple more games.  I played it last week and it's still doing alright, probably until the next puck there.  I think you could do the same thing with yours only, to the toe.  Also, I tape with one strip around the perimeter of the blabe, from the back of the heel to the top of the toe and normal tape job, all the way around the toe, covering the toe completely (kind of like a forwards tape job, like this) and I found it's almost a necessity with foam core if you expect to get any life out of them long term.

Tape.jpg

I should probably have updated this thread... my bad.

19 hours ago, MTH said:

Just stop at the local big box store (lowe's HD) and get some kind of epoxy (in the paint section) and goober that edge up. Then re-tape it.

All goalie sticks are anyway is some type of resin and epoxy.

Despite being solo-parent this weekend, I found the time to take the tape off and get a proper look at it. I did exactly this with a multi-surface construction adhesive that I have on-hand for various lazyman handyman repairs. A little finishing of the cured adhesive tonight, and then tape it up good as glue. Er... new.

14 hours ago, Simscityy said:

Get a new stick. The blade looks split.

Yes, you don't play the puck a lot but it will impact your rebound control. For example, directing pucks into the corner or over the glass. 

Good eye - and that was also my concern, but once I go the tape off, it was not nearly as bad as I thought. Fair observations wrt rebounds etc, but I only have a regular gig in a weekly pick up game , so I'm on the ice once a week at the moment.

Funny thing though, my wife knew I had a potential issue after Friday's skate that i was investigating. I told her Sunday, with deadpan delivery, that I needed to get a new stick, but it was cheaper to buy a 3-pack. She didn't even blink, and said "OK". Did not expect that. So if my stick ends up de-goobered in a few weeks, I'll likely be authorized to purchase.

As far as durability is concerned, I use a 1" piece of gorilla tape all along the bottom of my blade, then tape as normal. Gorilla tape is super thick and provides a bit more durability to those high-wear areas. I replace it after a few skates when its time to re-tape again.

22 hours ago, goalie381 said:

As far as durability is concerned, I use a 1" piece of gorilla tape all along the bottom of my blade, then tape as normal. Gorilla tape is super thick and provides a bit more durability to those high-wear areas. I replace it after a few skates when its time to re-tape again.

This is a great idea.  I have been doing a similar approach with regular hockey tape where I tape the toe and the bottom with a strip then do a normal tape job.  I've found it greatly increases the life of the blade especially the toe which often gets the most damage.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:16 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

Funny thing though, my wife knew I had a potential issue after Friday's skate that i was investigating. I told her Sunday, with deadpan delivery, that I needed to get a new stick, but it was cheaper to buy a 3-pack. She didn't even blink, and said "OK". Did not expect that. So if my stick ends up de-goobered in a few weeks, I'll likely be authorized to purchase.

Man, don't even bother fixing it, just trash the thing and order the 3 pack while the offer lasts.  We all know it could be a "limited time offer only"!

Archived