Knee slipping out of knee stacks.

Max27

Having issues with my pads with my knee slipping out of the stacks.

I usually strap the knee elastic down to the calf and i went down once and my knee didnt hit the knee stack, it hit the ice. very painful.

I started strapping across the knee and havent had the issue since.

my knee lands center of the knee stack, but could it be a sizing issue?

im in CCM eflex 2 760 pads for whatever its worth.

Where does your knee elastic come out of the block? Standard out the far edge? You could try the mod that Brian's offers and that @TheGoalNet and I did on our 1S sets where you make a hole through the inner most flap of the knee stack, so it keeps your knee more secure even if you strap down to the calf.

Or just keep strapping across the knee if it's working for you :P

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Are you intent on strapping down to the calf?  If so, why?

not really. i do whatever works 

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Also, did your knee hit low (towards skate), high (towards thigh), or off the side?

towards the thigh

5 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Where does your knee elastic come out of the block? Standard out the far edge? You could try the mod that Brian's offers and that @TheGoalNet and I did on our 1S sets where you make a hole through the inner most flap of the knee stack, so it keeps your knee more secure even if you strap down to the calf.

Or just keep strapping across the knee if it's working for you :P

it comes out of around the center, a little towards the bottom. i havent had issues with it going across the knee

i dont really wanna cut into the pad, nothing the velcro could stick to. its just a peice of hd foam in there

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Are you intent on strapping down to the calf?  If so, why?

idc if i have to go across or to the calf, i just wanna make sure its not a size error bc if i ordered a new set of pads in the same size (34+1) I dont wanna have sizing issues and spend a few hundred dollars on a pad that doesnt fit.

how long have you been using the pads? when my pads were new I was landing center, as the boot started breaking in (softening) I started falling off the top of the stack (towards the thigh rise). Tightened the toe ties, eliminated the boot strap and problem solved...for me. I still land near the top of the stack but no more knee to ice contact. 

Still could be a sizing issue or a strapping issue. As pads break in, the feel changes a little. As does the fit.

4 hours ago, Max27 said:

not really. i do whatever works 

You said in your OP that when you strap across the back of your knee, your knee doesn't land off the knee block. It sound like, then, that's what works.  You also said when you strap at the calf, you land off the block.  It sounds like, then, that doesn't work.  I'm not seeing the problem.  I feel like you have answered your own question with evidence you've provided. 

It makes perfect sense that you'll land off the block with the strap down at the calf and it doesn't with the strap at the knee.  That's the whole point of the knee strap, to secure and stabilize your knee in the proper position.  Strapping at the calf is intended to free yourself from restriction and have a looser, less secure fit.  Pads strapped this way will move/wobble/rotate/shift more than tighter strapped pads and they'll be less responsive to your body at the knee.  That's just how it works and some goalies love that. 

That will result in less precise knee landing, especially if your pads are improperly sized.  Not saying yours are, but for sure if they are, that isn't helping.

You should submit pics of your knee (no knee pads) in your knee cradle, both with the pad face down and with the pad on its side in position.  Make sure your knee and leg are at a right, 90 degree angle.  We can look at how they fit, size -wise.

14 hours ago, Max27 said:

idc if i have to go across or to the calf, i just wanna make sure its not a size error bc if i ordered a new set of pads in the same size (34+1) I dont wanna have sizing issues and spend a few hundred dollars on a pad that doesnt fit.

This is a very simple solution.  You are overthinking it. As @seagoal suggested, if running the Velcro across the knee works for you, then stick with it.

If you are concerned with sizing, post your ankle to knee, along with what type of toe attachment you are using and how much slack you are allowing at the toe attachment. 

On 10/24/2018 at 1:54 AM, seagoal said:

You said in your OP that when you strap across the back of your knee, your knee doesn't land off the knee block. It sound like, then, that's what works.  You also said when you strap at the calf, you land off the block.  It sounds like, then, that doesn't work.  I'm not seeing the problem.  I feel like you have answered your own question with evidence you've provided. 

It makes perfect sense that you'll land off the block with the strap down at the calf and it doesn't with the strap at the knee.  That's the whole point of the knee strap, to secure and stabilize your knee in the proper position.  Strapping at the calf is intended to free yourself from restriction and have a looser, less secure fit.  Pads strapped this way will move/wobble/rotate/shift more than tighter strapped pads and they'll be less responsive to your body at the knee.  That's just how it works and some goalies love that. 

That will result in less precise knee landing, especially if your pads are improperly sized.  Not saying yours are, but for sure if they are, that isn't helping.

You should submit pics of your knee (no knee pads) in your knee cradle, both with the pad face down and with the pad on its side in position.  Make sure your knee and leg are at a right, 90 degree angle.  We can look at how they fit, size -wise.

my knee lands centered idk what happens just when i go to the calf it slips out but when i go across it doesnt. ig just strap across but my next knee guards i plan on getting are the ritual ones which are super bulky and i would wanna strap down to give extra room for it. ill try, when ordering my next set, to go up an inch in the base pad, going from a 34 to a 35 (+1 thigh rise)

19 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

This is a very simple solution.  You are overthinking it. As @seagoal suggested, if running the Velcro across the knee works for you, then stick with it.

If you are concerned with sizing, post your ankle to knee, along with what type of toe attachment you are using and how much slack you are allowing at the toe attachment. 

ill do that later today. got school 

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but your knee is slipping off the top of the stack? I've had mine slip off but the other way, indicating the pads are too big. In your case I'd say they were much too small. I'd go at least another " larger. I use Eflex pads so I only strap my calf, and a very loose buckle strap near the back of the knee. Unless, are you slipping off the back of the stack, in which case I've no idea because I've never experienced that and I've entirely wasted your time ;)  but strapping your calf sufficiently in just about any pad should keep the pads in the correct place. 

Archived