vaughn pro carbon vs pro

Max27

Vaughn has really confused the market with this 'pro carbon' vs 'pro offshore ' bs.

To my understanding, the quality is different. But if you've ever had both pad side by size and inspected them (and I have), you'd really wonder what exactly you're spending all that extra cash on. The pro pads SEEM just as good as the pro carbon. The glove and blocker are another story.

1 minute ago, ULTIMA said:

Vaughn has really confused the market with this 'pro carbon' vs 'pro offshore ' bs.

To my understanding, the quality is different. But if you've ever had both pad side by size and inspected them (and I have), you'd really wonder what exactly you're spending all that extra cash on. The pro pads SEEM just as good as the pro carbon. The glove and blocker are another story.

ive heard its the pro carbon made overseas in china or wherever and ive heard they use hd foam in the pro over carbon fiber in the pro carbok

1 minute ago, ULTIMA said:

Source?

https://www.goaliesplus.com/p/vaughn-velocity-ve8-pro-senior-leg-pads/ this is where i heard the pro is the pro carbon made overseas

in total goalies video they say how the v7 xr pro carbon uses carbon fiber, 

on goaliemonkeys description of the xr pro they say its multilayered w hd foam and carbon fiber. 

dont really get why vaughn would charge under half price for the same pad made overseas when companies like bauer and ccm make their pro level products overseas

Pro is senior level stuff (think S29/P2.9 etc). Many people say the only difference between the two is that "pro" is made overseas whereas "pro carbon" has carbon fibre reinforcements/made in NA, but the difference in quality is any senior pad vs any top level pad. 

i.e. different leather qualities for exterior...most likely a Jen pro vs a lower quality synthetic leather, lower abrasion nylons, lower quality foams, etc. It's nothing you won't really be able to tell in store or when the stuff is new...I believe their senior level stuff is regarded as some of the best on the market...they will still soften up and wear down much faster than pro level stuff. 

Vaughns naming scheme on their new stuff is absolutely terrible and very misleading...this is a bad business practice that needs to be fixed. 

Pro Carbon = Made in Canada and uses the carbon sheets.

Pro = Off shore and no carbon.

That's from Vaughn directly, this came up before.

Is this confusing? You betcha. But so is 2 distinctly gloves in a single line, graphics that never match,  or 1,850,000 subtle break variations of the T5500.

Why? Here's my speculation...

I don't know Mike. I have never spoken with him. I don't mean to write anything negative, but I get the impression he has some spite in him. I take this from the recent comments he made about pro goalies leaving Vaughn, suing Factory Mad, and the comments about Carey Price on the GSBB.

I have a feeling that he is offended that some companies call their off shore gear pro and this is a way of saying "F U". There's one "Brand X' in particular, which Vaughn has lineage with, that probably has the least amount of differentiation between their pro and sr gear. (With that said, I would challenge the average goalie to point out the differences between a lot of company's pro and sr gear... it's not necessarily obvious to the naked eye) I have had 2 other brands, NOT named Vaughn, point this out to me. They highlight that both lines are made in the same factory off shore and I know 1 major retailer tells people this "Brand X" Sr gear is basically the same as the Pro and the best deal in hockey.

I could see a story like prompting Vaughn to call their off-shore Sr line a "Pro".

32 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

There's some confusion here.

Unless one of those retailers was misinformed and/or mistaken or Vaughn in straight up lying to it's consumers about what's really going on in their gear internally.

Either way, Vaughn gear really bites.

Or, neither is true.  

That link he posted contains no confusion. It doesn't say the pro and pro carbon are identical other than country of build.  It says they're made in different countries and the domestic one had features the off shore one does not. That is standard statement and understanding of the differences.

Vaughn gear might bite for you which is undeniable, but there isn't any confusion about those differences beyond understanding what they're saying.

There are differences,  on the pads especially,  from a casual, external side by side inspection, some more subtle than others.

The content in that link was misrepresented from the get-go.

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Is this confusing? You betcha. But so is 2 distinctly gloves in a single line, graphics that never match,  or 1,850,000 subtle break variations of the T5500.

I don't know Mike. I have never spoken with him. I don't mean to write anything negative, but I get the impression he has some spite in him. I take this from the recent comments he made about pro goalies leaving Vaughn, suing Factory Mad, and the comments about Carey Price on the GSBB.

I have a feeling that he is offended that some companies call their off shore gear pro and this is a way of saying "F U". There's one "Brand X' in particular, which Vaughn has lineage with, that probably has the least amount of differentiation between their pro and sr gear. (With that said, I would challenge the average goalie to point out the differences between a lot of company's pro and sr gear... it's not necessarily obvious to the naked eye) I have had 2 other brands, NOT named Vaughn, point this out to me. They highlight that both lines are made in the same factory off shore and I know 1 major retailer tells people this "Brand X" Sr gear is basically the same as the Pro and the best deal in hockey.

I could see a story like prompting Vaughn to call their off-shore Sr line a "Pro".

Very good points and useful input.

Cheers.

41 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Pro is senior level stuff (think S29/P2.9 etc). Many people say the only difference between the two is that "pro" is made overseas whereas "pro carbon" has carbon fibre reinforcements/made in NA, but the difference in quality is any senior pad vs any top level pad. 

i.e. different leather qualities for exterior...most likely a Jen pro vs a lower quality synthetic leather, lower abrasion nylons, lower quality foams, etc. It's nothing you won't really be able to tell in store or when the stuff is new...I believe their senior level stuff is regarded as some of the best on the market...they will still soften up and wear down much faster than pro level stuff. 

Vaughns naming scheme on their new stuff is absolutely terrible and very misleading...this is a bad business practice that needs to be fixed. 

yea its bad marketing on their half

38 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

There's some confusion here.

Unless one of those retailers was misinformed and/or mistaken or Vaughn in straight up lying to it's consumers about what's really going on in their gear internally.

Either way, Vaughn gear really bites.

im dissapointed by it bc i like vaughn, they do a lot of good stuff and the slrs are awesome looking, theyre just horrible in terms of marketing. their gear itself isnt bad at all, i use their 7700 helmet, a v7 chest, and greiss gloves from them and its all really high quality. they just dont really present it well

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

im dissapointed by it bc i like vaughn, they do a lot of good stuff and the slrs are awesome looking, theyre just horrible in terms of marketing. their gear itself isnt bad at all, i use their 7700 helmet, a v7 chest, and greiss gloves from them and its all really high quality. they just dont really present it well

Back then it used to be so confusing, vaughn 8800, vaughn 8880, etc. no denying though the gear was ahead of its time 

12 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

i remember i heard from @bunnyman666 on a forum somewhere here that Mike says goalies dont play good when they leave Vaughn gear 

1 minute ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Back then it used to be so confusing, vaughn 8800, vaughn 8880, etc. no denying though the gear was ahead of its time 

that is so confusing, 8800 and 8880. would not be able to tell the difference unless someone designated it or i was told they were 2 different pads

13 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Or, neither is true.  

That link he posted contains no confusion. It doesn't say the pro and pro carbon are identical other than country of build.  It says they're made in different countries and the domestic one had features the off shore one does not. That is standard statement and understanding of the differences.

Vaughn gear might bite for you which is undeniable, but there isn't any confusion about those differences beyond understanding what they're saying.

There are differences,  on the pads especially,  from a casual, external side by side inspection, some more subtle than others.

The content in that link was misrepresented from the get-go.

im saying, if its the same pad as the pro carbon just made offshore, which is what the link says, why would they do that, considering brands like CCM and Bauer make their pro level gear offshore

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

In full agreement that their marketing sucks and I also think the person in charge of their social media should be fired tomorrow.

But you seem sold on their gear,  you enjoy it, and you appreciate its function/aesthetics.

So, why does the marketing matter that much to you?

I'm both sold on their gear and convicted in my thoughts about their marketing. That isn't a conflict for me, personally.

I can completely see how they are failing to get newcomers into their gear, although I am seeing a ton of teenagers in Vaighn head to toe, regularly.

3 minutes ago, Max27 said:

i remember i heard from @bunnyman666 on a forum somewhere here that Mike says goalies dont play good when they leave Vaughn gear 

I think I actually posted that link...in the Vaughn thread, possibly? I'm too lazy to find it right now.

But, it is true. He said that of Price, which is demonstrably absurd.

Just now, seagoal said:

In full agreement that their marketing sucks and I also think the person in charge of their social media should be fired tomorrow.

But you seem sold on their gear,  you enjoy it, and you appreciate its function/aesthetics.

So, why does the marketing matter that much to you?

I'm both sold on their gear and convicted in my thoughts about their marketing. That isn't a conflict for me, personally.

I can completely see how they are failing to get newcomers into their gear, although I am seeing a ton of teenagers in Vaighn head to toe, regularly.

im saying that i feel that vaughn makes really good gear and that they should be represented better

not that its a make or break, i dont plan on switching out of vaughn and it isnt a conflict for me either. just think their marketing sucks lol

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

I think I actually posted that link...in the Vaughn thread, possibly? I'm too lazy to find it right now.

But, it is true. He said that of Price, which is demonstrably absurd.

ill check for it in that thread tommorow. nearly midnight where i live lol

and its crazy that he would have that level of disrespect to someone for switching out of their gear. curious if he says that abt all goalies that have switched out of vaughn

I'm gonna put my neck on the block regarding the (recent to me) developments regarding Vaughn equipment and not Mike Vaughn, owner of Vaughn: They make some of the most durable goalie equipment available, and they sell this at price points that are equivalent to the other big players that may or may not be making equipment in North America. I have never had a negative experience with the construction and quality of Vaughn gear, and the same can be said of Brian's and Lefevre-factory gear. Any complaints about the angle of a glove break or the softness/stiffness of a pad should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Every 5500 variant I have tried on or owned had the same result - feels great on my hand, but it never worked on the ice. That said, my favorite glove and blocker happen to be Vaughn products, so they do make something that does work for me. 

Now, regarding the Pro vs. Pro Carbon issue, it is clear that the nomenclature borders on absurd. If you have the opportunity to inspect both Vaughn Pro and Vaughn Pro Carbon gear, you will likely notice the same things that I have noticed: Pro Carbon is very well constructed, the material is high quality and the overall quality is in keeping with every domestically produced item I have owned or seen of Vaughn. The Pro gear is very, very close in terms of quality and materials, yet it is fairly obvious that the Pro gear is not of the same overall quality as the Pro Carbon gear. 

And, to put the question to bed, just look for the tag that says, "Made in..."

27 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

I'm gonna put my neck on the block regarding the (recent to me) developments regarding Vaughn equipment and not Mike Vaughn, owner of Vaughn: They make some of the most durable goalie equipment available, and they sell this at price points that are equivalent to the other big players that may or may not be making equipment in North America. I have never had a negative experience with the construction and quality of Vaughn gear, and the same can be said of Brian's and Lefevre-factory gear. Any complaints about the angle of a glove break or the softness/stiffness of a pad should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Every 5500 variant I have tried on or owned had the same result - feels great on my hand, but it never worked on the ice. That said, my favorite glove and blocker happen to be Vaughn products, so they do make something that does work for me. 

Now, regarding the Pro vs. Pro Carbon issue, it is clear that the nomenclature borders on absurd. If you have the opportunity to inspect both Vaughn Pro and Vaughn Pro Carbon gear, you will likely notice the same things that I have noticed: Pro Carbon is very well constructed, the material is high quality and the overall quality is in keeping with every domestically produced item I have owned or seen of Vaughn. The Pro gear is very, very close in terms of quality and materials, yet it is fairly obvious that the Pro gear is not of the same overall quality as the Pro Carbon gear. 

Brief aside and barely relevant, what's your glove?

45 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

To be clear... I’m not knocking Vaughn gloves or the beloved T5500 ( even though it’s not my beak of choice ?

My point is that Vaughn does some confusing things with marketing. The average goalie cannot tell you the difference between the breaks of the newer Velocity 2 piece, SLR, and the 5500.

By contrast... CCM has 3 distinct breaks, easy naming system, and your choice of graphics to match the rest of the set. The gloves get updated materials to make them improved generation over generation. There’s no confusion over what CCM glove is what

To be clear, not saying CCM is a better glove than Vaughn. I’m saying that Vaughn marketing is clear as mud. CCM marketing is the water in a Corona ad

47 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

To be clear... I’m not knocking Vaughn gloves or the beloved T5500 ( even though it’s not my beak of choice ?

My point is that Vaughn does some confusing things with marketing. The average goalie cannot tell you the difference between the breaks of the newer Velocity 2 piece, SLR, and the 5500.

Maybe their intention is not to advertise the glove breaks, one of the things I actually like about Vaughn. I don’t like a specific glove break, but to each their own

Archived