vaughn pro carbon vs pro

Max27

7 hours ago, Max27 said:

im saying, if its the same pad as the pro carbon just made offshore, which is what the link says, why would they do that, considering brands like CCM and Bauer make their pro level gear offshore

I think they try to tell that Pro Carbons are above all other big brands and Pros are same quality with other top of the line pads. If your pad budget is 1000$ it is mental that your pad says "PRO", not 3.9/s29. 

5 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Maybe their intention is not to advertise the glove breaks, one of the things I actually like about Vaughn. I don’t like a specific glove break, but to each their own

That’s a very different take and an interesting point of view. Convince people to try it. There’s some positive merit there. 

I’d still challenge if any marketing expert on earth would decide that’s the appropriate approach though. 

The reality is that in today’s world people read Goalie Monkey descriptions, watch YouTube videos, come to this website, or go to GGSU for product details and reviews. All these new forms of media sway consumer decisions before they ever step into a store. 

Many people buy online without fully trying on gear or semi have their mind made up before they walk into Pure Hockey. 

We live in a Twitter world where people want tons of information very quickly. We can list the 10,000,000 drawbacks to this new society and it’s way of thinking... but we are here. 

Marketing today needs to be simple. Here’s my 2 product lines. Here’s which goalie might prefer each line. Here’s how my products are different from each other. 

Vaughn’s marketing does not follow that path. It’s my opinion that people buy Vaughn gear because of its reputation of quality, the consumer trust established by their high pro adoption, or because they’ve always used Vaughn... #IfItAintBrokeDontFixIt. Vaughn’s product naming schemes, transparency around glove breaks, and confusing overlap between models does NOT help them. It’s actually a detriment. 

From what I’ve been told, Mike Vaughn is a shrew business man. It’s why Vaughn is basically the only hockey company since 1980 to not go bankrupt or get acquired. Each company has their strengths and weaknesses. If there’s a hockey equipment market analyst somewhere, Vaughn is getting praised for operations and long term stability. They are not getting kudos for creative marketing. Bauer, CCM, Brian’s, and Warrior all best them there. 

In my opinion, Vaughn’s marketing strategy is the most classic approach in sports. Get the top pros to wear it, remind people the pros wear it, tell people how many pros wear it, keep pros in it, and do everything possible to get as many different pro guys in your gear as possible. If kids see it in the NHL, they will want it. Again... #IfItAintBrokeDontFixIt

But like I mentioned earlier, consumer behavior is changing. People need pro validation less and less every year. Warrior seems stable and has 0% NHL use. Brian’s crushes it at retail and has the least amount of pro adaptation of the major 4?

If you like Vaughn gear though... who cares? Gear needs to perform on ice. On some level, Marketing is just the tool to convince people to buy shitty gear. 

It will be curious to see if Vaughn ever changes their tune. Better marketing, products that better match the market, and their reputation for quality would be really scary. If you think they’re big now... I think their potential is nearly unmatched. 

I understand how it’s a detriment with the glove breaks. If I knew what it was specifically I’d still wear it lol. What makes them unique is that it’s not a common break (580, 590, 600) but it does suck not knowing what it is. I think their biggest issue is falling back with newer ideas (yes, I know everyone knows this), compared to others. Whenever you see someone complain about Vaughn, it’s that they’re not using all the latest technology or new buckles etc. what happened with Bauer when they started trying new stuff? Complaints after complaints of the quality and their stuff breaking down, and this could very well happen with Vaughn too, I think bauer has gotten it figured out but I think there’s no room for error for Vaughn. They’re playing it a little safe yes, but take it step by step. 

It's interesting that because I'm a Vaughn guy and have always been one, the break of a glove means nothing to me.

I've not once ever put on a glove from any company and wondered or been aware of the stated break.

I've certainly felt different breaks and had varying levels of like/dislike, but the info or focus on break goes over my head.

Even conversations on here about break are like foreign language to me.

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

It's interesting that because I'm a Vaughn guy and have always been one, the break of a glove means nothing to me.

I've not once ever put on a glove from any company and wondered or been aware of the stated break.

I've certainly felt different breaks and had varying levels of like/dislike, but the info or focus on break goes over my head.

Fair points and I pick on glove break... It doesn't necessarily mean the sky is falling there.

My overall message is that Vaughn does many things that are confusing compared to their competition and the overall trend in global marketing.

Agreed. I'm totally on board with what you're saying.

My recent custom experience was a case in point to what you're saying:

Two gloves ago I bought a pro return V6 2200 and fell in love.  Best feeling and most ergonomic glove I've ever felt. It dethroned the 5500 for me.

I decided shortly after to overhaul all my gear which meant going custom for gloves and pads.  I contacted Vaughn and stated why and how much I loved the 2200 and asked if either the V7 XR or VE8 one piece would be the best, most natural replacement.

I was told that neither would be a direct , natural replacement because those 3 gloves are constructed differently and feel different from one another.

So, I just ordered a new 2200.  There doesn't appear to be any rational rhyme or reason that could be explained,  it just sorta was.

So I shrugged and happily moved forward.  I think there would be a much more coherent logic to their gear if they had a discernable lineage to their gear that could be rationally explained.

8 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

I think they try to tell that Pro Carbons are above all other big brands and Pros are same quality with other top of the line pads. If your pad budget is 1000$ it is mental that your pad says "PRO", not 3.9/s29. 

yea i could see that for the mental thing but idc if it really says pro or 3.9/s29, i could cover that if it was a mental thing 

7 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I've had both versions, SLR Pro and V-Elite Pro Carbon.  "Pro" is definitely a Sr pad.  They break down quickly and are no where near the same quality.  

thats what ive figured. idk why vaughn would make their sr price point pad the same pro carbon pad built overseas

17 hours ago, Max27 said:

im dissapointed by it bc i like vaughn, they do a lot of good stuff and the slrs are awesome looking, theyre just horrible in terms of marketing. their gear itself isnt bad at all, i use their 7700 helmet, a v7 chest, and greiss gloves from them and its all really high quality. they just dont really present it well

I love my V-Elites and have worn just about everything else out there, but I was suckered into the "Pro" line at one point thinking.."I don't really need that Carbon junk do I, I'm just a beer leaguer".  Well, It's a mid level Sr. pad at best.  I still say if a Sr. level pad is all one can afford, then Warrior is where you need to be looking.   

3 minutes ago, Max27 said:

thats what ive figured. idk why vaughn would make their sr price point pad the same pro carbon pad built overseas

just trying to make people think its the same thing just without the Carbon and cheaper because its made overseas.  I don't think Vaughn ever really did well in the Sr level gear market.  I know when I was in that market years ago when Vaughn was a lot more popular, I never considered their stuff.  It just always looked and felt cheap compared to what Bauer and Reebok had out at the time.  

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

just trying to make people think its the same thing just without the Carbon and cheaper because its made overseas.  I don't think Vaughn ever really did well in the Sr level gear market.  I know when I was in that market years ago when Vaughn was a lot more popular, I never considered their stuff.  It just always looked and felt cheap compared to what Bauer and Reebok had out at the time.  

yea ive heard that their sr gear is crap

On 11/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, seagoal said:

Dude, same here.  I have no idea what break the T5500 is but I know it works for me so I keep going back to it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 5:09 PM, jayluv54 said:

I love my V-Elites and have worn just about everything else out there, but I was suckered into the "Pro" line at one point thinking.."I don't really need that Carbon junk do I, I'm just a beer leaguer".  Well, It's a mid level Sr. pad at best.  I still say if a Sr. level pad is all one can afford, then Brian's is where you need to be looking.   

Fixed that for you.  In the Sr. gear space Brian's makes far and away the best constructed gear out there.

Archived