Advice For Playing After Sprained Ankle

Matt30

A few weeks ago, I suffered what I would call a minor ankle sprain. I did not see a doctor, although I waited in a clinic for 5 hours and saw nobody. I got fed up and left. But that’s beyond my point.

The swelling is all gone. It’s still a little sore. Not 100% but I feel as if im ready to resume playing. I will not be playing league games yet, just pick up with some lighter groups.

i have been wearing a brace while walking, but it’s not going to fit in my skate. So moving forward, do you think a skate in itself will provide enough stability? Should I tape it up or will that make things too stiff?

anyone that can share their experience in this situation would be greatly appreciated ?

I'd seriously consider taping it with kineseo tape, but watch keeping good circulation. Regular tape doesn't give much, will feel very rigid and likely will cut/restrict circulation.

I had a nasty sprain going into my return to playing and the skate didn't quite cut it, so I was taped up for the first few weeks until my strength was built back up. Wife is a physio, that helps tremendously. She is now putting humpty dumpty back together again quite frequently ?

I'm coming off of a grade 2 sprain of my atfl, was on the shelf completely for about 3 weeks. Got a Vortex ankle brace prescribed by a sports doctor (MD who works out of the physio and rehab clinic). That was great for shoes, but still too bulky for skates. One game with it was enough. 

It really depends on where your sprain was, higher or lower. Mine was low enough that the skate provides all the structure I really need, but I also wear my skates pretty snug. If it's higher then you'll want to look up some ways of taping to support that. I've used a box weave tape job with medical tape in the past that worked pretty well. 

I'm on week 7 of recovery and still have a bit of swelling and forward flexion to resolve, could be another week or 2 before its back to 100%, it was pretty bad. 

@Matt30 if you can wait it out a little longer, I'd consider that option. I had a high ankle sprain that kept me out of the game for a season. It also affected my b-boy instructor job I had at the time. 

Go at it easy, do your physio and if anything, get some light skating in, no heavy pivots or t-pushes etc. 

Good luck.

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Advice For Playing After Sprained Ankle
On 11/4/2018 at 11:04 AM, Matt30 said:

A few weeks ago, I suffered what I would call a minor ankle sprain. I did not see a doctor, although I waited in a clinic for 5 hours and saw nobody. I got fed up and left. But that’s beyond my point.

The swelling is all gone. It’s still a little sore. Not 100% but I feel as if im ready to resume playing. I will not be playing league games yet, just pick up with some lighter groups.

i have been wearing a brace while walking, but it’s not going to fit in my skate. So moving forward, do you think a skate in itself will provide enough stability? Should I tape it up or will that make things too stiff?

anyone that can share their experience in this situation would be greatly appreciated ?

I'm about to hit the ice this Friday for the first time since August because of a high ankle sprain.  I don't intend to tape or anything and am hoping for the best.  Been doing stretching and strengthening and using a slide board to try and get some movement back.  Definitely weak and lost some flexibility, but I'm going to take it slow with some pickup and stick and puck sessions before playing a game.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:02 PM, RichMan said:

@Matt30 if you can wait it out a little longer, I'd consider that option. I had a high ankle sprain that kept me out of the game for a season. It also affected my b-boy instructor job I had at the time. 

Go at it easy, do your physio and if anything, get some light skating in, no heavy pivots or t-pushes etc. 

Good luck.

High ankle sprains are definitely worse and have longer recovery periods because there is more tissue damage.  I've been out months and my physical therapist said he's had people take up to a year and still are never the same again. 

Standard ankle sprains typically have a 2-4 week recovery period, but are more susceptible to re-occur  

Thanks for the advice, well wishes and concerns everyone.

I laced up my skates in the basement and did a few carpet flys. It didn’t feel too bad on skates but I think I would benefit from a bit more stability. My wife says we have some kinesiology tape. Now she just has to find it lol.

• 2 months later...

Just a little update.

First, thank everyone for their advice. I did try the k-tape, but I didn’t like the feel of it in the skate. So I ended up lacing my skates to the top eyelet to stiffen up my stance. It’s been that way for about 10 ice times now. I’ve definitely limited my mobility a little bit but the pain has been tolerable and I’ve just adjusted to not playing such a scrambley/reflex type game and focused on being a little more positional. Some nights I think it’s some of the best hockey I’ve played in a while!

The recovery isn’t 100% but it feels good to be back into a routine

Archived