Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ThatCarGuy

Cowl Positioning

Recommended Posts

I just got a really stupid idea that I'm not sure will work.

What if someone increased the angle of the cowling on goalies skate (say, with a heat gun). In theory this would give you better push angle/edge as well as better shuffling ability (if you have a blade edge like mine). I have a spare set of Graf skates I would like to try this on but at the same time I'm worried I might ruin those skates. Has anyone tried this and is it worth doing?

*I am aware that skates already have angled cowls*

The purpose of this thread is to find a legal replacement to overdrive blades without step steel.

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the main concern - which you've already thought of, is once heated up and bent - the cowling might not have the same structural integrity it did prior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Are you saying that you want to change how a runner sits underneath the skate?

Ex: Going from | to /

Yes. Not just angling the blade on its own but the whole plastic part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Yes. Not just angling the blade on its own but the whole plastic part.

I feel like my ankles hurt already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I feel like my ankles hurt already.

Yeah, I was wondering if that would be a problem. If I were to do this I would use the Graf Supra 5500s. They are stiffer than my current Graf 4500s and I hope that the stiffness of the boot eliminates ankle pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I feel like my ankles hurt already.

:rofl:

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Are you saying that you want to change how a runner sits underneath the skate?

Ex: Going from | to /

I feel like it could help with lateral pushes but that would definitely make it harder to skate normally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Yes. Not just angling the blade on its own but the whole plastic part.

Maybe you should just try an offset on your sharpening first. Get the inside edges higher than outside... won't waste a cowling and you might just get the pushes you're looking for (as well as the unusual feeling when skating.) 

I'm w/ @coopaloop1234... my ankles hurt just thinking about the prospect of what you proposed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what, @ThatCarGuy you should do it. I'm actually interested in seeing this project come to life.

Make sure to get some video of you skating in them for the first time too. ;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Physically altering your skate to gain an advantage as a "legal" alternative to overdrive blades?  Might want to think about that some more.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You know what, @ThatCarGuy you should do it. I'm actually interested in seeing this project come to life.

Make sure to get some video of you skating in them for the first time too. ;)

Be nice to the wheelie bag guys; you might need one of them to wheel you out of the arena after this experiment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Be nice to the wheelie bag guys; you might need one of them to wheel you out of the arena after this experiment...

No need. I may carry my bags, but I roll into the rink in style. :fyea:

heelys-uptown-blackred-super-mesh-he100082.thumb.jpg.8835e799ba47e5b54d49affbe253ae24.jpg

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bad - quoting your thing made it look like I was telling you to pander to wheel baggers. Far be it from me to tell an Elitist that!

I should have written it like this:

@ThatCarGuy - if you take Coop's suggestion, make the mod to the skates and then skate in them, you'd better be nice to the wheelie bag guys; you might need one of them to wheel you out of the arena after this experiment... "

Some days the interwebs is just too fucking hard for me. :shakehead:

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 9:56 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

My bad - quoting your thing made it look like I was telling you to pander to wheel baggers. Far be it from me to tell an Elitist that!

I should have written it like this:

@ThatCarGuy - if you take Coop's suggestion, make the mod to the skates and then skate in them, you'd better be nice to the wheelie bag guys; you might need one of them to wheel you out of the arena after this experiment... "

Some days the interwebs is just too fucking hard for me. :shakehead:

I'm kindish to them. However, it is perfectly reasonable to make fun of my teams #1 hitter for having a wheelie bag.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:48 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

No need. I may carry my bags, but I roll into the rink in style. :fyea:

heelys-uptown-blackred-super-mesh-he100082.thumb.jpg.8835e799ba47e5b54d49affbe253ae24.jpg

Not good enough. You need these:

rollerguard4.jpg

On 11/6/2018 at 8:17 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Maybe you should just try an offset on your sharpening first. Get the inside edges higher than outside... won't waste a cowling and you might just get the pushes you're looking for (as well as the unusual feeling when skating.) 

I'm w/ @coopaloop1234... my ankles hurt just thinking about the prospect of what you proposed.

This won't create the same affect I want. This will just create a better edge with no advantage like overdrives give you. Physically angling the cowling creates the same effect as overdrive blades (in theory).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm kindish to them. However, it is perfectly reasonable to make fun of my teams #1 hitter for having a wheelie bag.

Not good enough. You need these:

rollerguard4.jpg

Like this?

17810340-4E3C-43CE-B1AB-348D0CBF12DA.thumb.jpeg.b8d75173e2b8a7ad93c71b849f2befb5.jpeg.10f9a65006437a9a166788833098d6d8.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a sketch up of roughly 5 degrees of cowl angle change:

328356629_Screenshot2018-11-07at12_18_00PM.png.4e5a7715af0f89bfb816d175053915d9.png

The edge advantage is clearly there.

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Here's a sketch up of roughly 5 degrees of cowl angle change:

328356629_Screenshot2018-11-07at12_18_00PM.png.4e5a7715af0f89bfb816d175053915d9.png

That looks like it could lead to a serious high ankle sprain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would probably not be able to stand up straight with these skates without being at risk of ankle damage. I would have to be in some sort of stance all the time. @RichMan I did say that this was a stupid idea did I not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All righty. It's been awhile since I visited this topic with new ideas/solutions. An idea my dad suggested was rather than angling the blade, why not move it inward. This would create a better push angle without the potential ankle killing capabilities that the angled blade had (you could also shuffle easier with this plan).420963030_Screenshot2018-12-04at12_37_46PM.png.543e026af629a3b1e357ac154887d282.png

Here the blade is moved more inwards on the skate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both ideas you've suggested are actually ways to correct over-pronation in skates. Essentially where your arch collapses and ankle rolls in.

Here are some good sources to explain it better than I can...

https://medium.com/@ngerasimatos/hockey-skate-blade-mounting-11e8dbdc8bc

http://www.skatedoc.ca/home/blog/timetosquareup

Anyways if you don't over-pronate realigning the blade would probably cause you to supinate (opposite of pronate) which would not help your skating or your ankles lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×