Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Max27

Soft Skate Boot vs. Stiff Skate Boot

Recommended Posts

Just wondering if the boot rigidity or flexibility is meant for different playing styles or if its a protection thing like player skates where the stiffer skate provides better ankle support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss the old slipper like leather boots. Everything out today feels like plastic. Unfortunately, with minimalist or absent cowlings, it's a must to have stiffer boots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RichMan said:

I miss the old slipper like leather boots. Everything out today feels like plastic. Unfortunately, with minimalist or absent cowlings, it's a must to have stiffer boots.

im not very sold on the cowlingless skate. i see the advantages and innovations but i dont feel comfortable in something like that.

ive heard the stiff boot is meant for a wider base bc itll give u more ankle support but i play a stance like holtby or niemi, more tight. find i move better when i have my legs a little closer together 

edit- not sure why the niemi pic doesnt show up, if u wanna see it just click it

Braden-Holtby.jpg

2018-11-06_8-58-24.jpg.e16a63453b49923199eacd9523118107.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What don't you like about cowlingless skates? I was skeptical,  too, but made the switch and I really like mine.

I love how aggressive and reactive they are and I swear,  they're faster.  Just sayin' ;)

Speaking of narrow stances,  this guy was my favorite goalie forever.  He's why i wear 20.

Screenshot_20181105-212013_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All boots will be stiff nowadays. And yes there are skates meant for differing styles of play. But the one thing you should consider beyond the general stiffness of the boot is HOW the ankle support is provided. In the example below using Bauer's line, both are stiff skates (used 1S and 1X for image likeness.) Supreme line is meant for a wider stance and provides higher ankle support on the inside of the skate to help aid in that. In contrast, the Vapor line is symmetrical allowing for a more neutral feel which some may call "softer" but in reality the construction of the boot itself is very similar... but it's HOW they support than ankle that differs. 

Bauer Supreme 1S Sr. Goalie SkatesBauer Vapor 1X Pro Senior Goalie Skates - '17 Model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Max27 said:

Just wondering if the boot rigidity or flexibility is meant for different playing styles or if its a protection thing like player skates where the stiffer skate provides better ankle support

I think its preference just like anything else.  I prefer a softer boot when I'm in net but a very stiff boot when skating out.  

Last year I went from Bauer Reactor 6000's to the 9000's.  Both one of Bauer's top of the line goal skates at the time of release but I've had a lot of ankle issues going from a tech mesh upper to a curv composite upper.  I know some other goalies that had ankle issues after transitioning to a stiffer skate as well.  

I am currently looking at some softer options.  I understand that the power transfer and all that are better with a stiffer skate, but if its causing injury its not worth it for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, seagoal said:

What don't you like about cowlingless skates? I was skeptical,  too, but made the switch and I really like mine.

I love how aggressive and reactive they are and I swear,  they're faster.  Just sayin' ;)

Speaking of narrow stances,  this guy was my favorite goalie forever.  He's why i wear 20.

Screenshot_20181105-212013_Samsung Internet.jpg

idk i feel really intrigued to get it but im at the same time so reluctant to big changes like that lol

i wanna get the x900 skates to replace my rbz 80s that are falling apar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

All boots will be stiff nowadays. And yes there are skates meant for differing styles of play. But the one thing you should consider beyond the general stiffness of the boot is HOW the ankle support is provided. In the example below using Bauer's line, both are stiff skates (used 1S and 1X for image likeness.) Supreme line is meant for a wider stance and provides higher ankle support on the inside of the skate to help aid in that. In contrast, the Vapor line is symmetrical allowing for a more neutral feel which some may call "softer" but in reality the construction of the boot itself is very similar... but it's HOW they support than ankle that differs. 

Bauer Supreme 1S Sr. Goalie SkatesBauer Vapor 1X Pro Senior Goalie Skates - '17 Model

so is the x900 a stiff boot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, seagoal said:

What don't you like about cowlingless skates? I was skeptical,  too, but made the switch and I really like mine.

I love how aggressive and reactive they are and I swear,  they're faster.  Just sayin' ;)

Speaking of narrow stances,  this guy was my favorite goalie forever.  He's why i wear 20.

Screenshot_20181105-212013_Samsung Internet.jpg

great tribute to Nabokov wearing his number

i would wear 40 for Lehner but i didnt have a choice but to wear 30. only jersey they had that would fit me was #30 lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Max27 said:

so is the x900 a stiff boot?

tech mesh boot, softer boot than the S190 for sure (full composite). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Max27 - Bauer and CCM both have high end engineers using the lastest technology to design skates. They absolutely think about how to tune a skate to fit a specific style. 

But there’s a few items that need to be cleared up here... 

1. A Jet Speed and a Tacks or a Supreme and Vapor fit different feet. There could be a situation where you think a Vapor fits your style of play, but your foot favors a Supreme. Fit always comes first. As the custom programs gain more adoption, this hurdle goes away for people paying the top dollar.

2. Soft will be more comfortable and allow your foot to bend more. It should also reduce injury concerns. Stiff will have better energy transfer and is typically lighter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Max27 - Bauer and CCM both have high end engineers using the lastest technology to design skates. They absolutely think about to tune a skate to fit a specific style. 

But there’s a few items that need to be cleared up here... 

1. A Jet Speed and a Tacks or a Supreme and Vapor fit different feet. There could be a situation where you think a Vapor fits your style of play, but your foot favors a Supreme. Fit always comes first. As the custom programs gain more adoption, this hurdle goes away for people paying the top dollar.

2. Soft will more comfortable and allow your foot to bend more. It should also reduce injury concerns. Stiff will have better energy transfer and is typically lighter. 

I agree, fit comes first. I'm looking for a new skate probably in the next year, even though I love my 11ks I need a change. At the store the guy said that I would be best in a vapors not supreme due to my wide polish foot lol now I do have a wide stance.  Due to the comments above would I go with a 2s, probably not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I agree, fit comes first. I'm looking for a new skate probably in the next year, even though I love my 11ks I need a change. At the store the guy said that I would be best in a vapors not supreme due to my wide polish foot lol now I do have a wide stance.  Due to the comments above would I go with a 2s, probably not. 

If you have the budget, you could look at custom?

@TGC-Rance has been helping people for years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Max27 - Bauer and CCM both have high end engineers using the lastest technology to design skates. They absolutely think about how to tune a skate to fit a specific style. 

But there’s a few items that need to be cleared up here... 

1. A Jet Speed and a Tacks or a Supreme and Vapor fit different feet. There could be a situation where you think a Vapor fits your style of play, but your foot favors a Supreme. Fit always comes first. As the custom programs gain more adoption, this hurdle goes away for people paying the top dollar.

2. Soft will be more comfortable and allow your foot to bend more. It should also reduce injury concerns. Stiff will have better energy transfer and is typically lighter. 

i use an 11 EE Rbz rn but i should be in a 10.5. would a 10.5 EE Vapor fit me the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Max27 said:

i use an 11 EE Rbz rn but i should be in a 10.5. would a 10.5 EE Vapor fit me the same?

Interesting that you are in a 11.5 RBZ and you're going down in size. I wore a 7.5 Graf and currently wear a 6.5 RBZ. I believe with the RBZ, CCM recommended people to go down half a size or a whole size from their current skate for best fit. I did so and my RBZ fits great. I would be a 7.5 Bauer in their current line up according to the 3D Bauer scanner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Interesting that you are in a 11.5 RBZ and you're going down in size. I wore a 7.5 Graf and currently wear a 6.5 RBZ. I believe with the RBZ, CCM recommended people to go down half a size or a whole size from their current skate for best fit. I did so and my RBZ fits great. I would be a 7.5 Bauer in their current line up according to the 3D Bauer scanner.

Did they add goalie to the scanner yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Interesting that you are in a 11.5 RBZ and you're going down in size. I wore a 7.5 Graf and currently wear a 6.5 RBZ. I believe with the RBZ, CCM recommended people to go down half a size or a whole size from their current skate for best fit. I did so and my RBZ fits great. I would be a 7.5 Bauer in their current line up according to the 3D Bauer scanner.

i bought them thinking i only needed 1 size down but i need a size and a half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Did they add goalie to the scanner yet?

Should be, had a customer come in with pictures of the scan - our store doesn't have the 3D fit scanner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone taken an older leather mix model (ie Supremes) and transferred the boot to a more modern cowling like Bauer/Graf/CCM? Was/is there enough ankle support despite the absence of the high inside cowling wall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 9:23 PM, seagoal said:

What don't you like about cowlingless skates? I was skeptical,  too, but made the switch and I really like mine.

I love how aggressive and reactive they are and I swear,  they're faster.  Just sayin' ;)

Speaking of narrow stances,  this guy was my favorite goalie forever.  He's why i wear 20.

Screenshot_20181105-212013_Samsung Internet.jpg

That nabokov glove save though... gives me chills every time I watch it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 7:33 AM, RichMan said:

Has anyone taken an older leather mix model (ie Supremes) and transferred the boot to a more modern cowling like Bauer/Graf/CCM? Was/is there enough ankle support despite the absence of the high inside cowling wall?

Yes.  Bauer 7000s on one80 cowlings here.  Works perfectly fine. (I know, this was discussed in another thread already)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...