Soft Skate Boot vs. Stiff Skate Boot

Max27

On 11/6/2018 at 6:13 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

I agree, fit comes first. I'm looking for a new skate probably in the next year, even though I love my 11ks I need a change. At the store the guy said that I would be best in a vapors not supreme due to my wide polish foot lol now I do have a wide stance.  Due to the comments above would I go with a 2s, probably not. 

I bought 1S's and was able to have the forefoot area punched out a little.  Depending on HOW wide your foot is that may be an option.   I will say that if the Vapor line had been around when I grabbed my 1S's I'd have gone for the better fit over the supposed benefits of the Supreme line for my low stance. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I bought 1S's and was able to have the forefoot area punched out a little.  Depending on HOW wide your foot is that may be an option.   I will say that if the Vapor line had been around when I grabbed my 1S's I'd have gone for the better fit over the supposed benefits of the Supreme line for my low stance. 

When they scanned my foot I came in the vapor line 🤷🏼‍♂️

Been having major issues with the stiff boot.  I bought a pair of Easton Mako (converted to goal) and the fit is great for my narrow foot.  It's definitely true that the stiffer skate makes for a wider stance.  Been trying to adjust for the past 5 months and after a terrible game again on my part, decided they aren't for me.  I'm going back to my old Graf 750s for now.  The 750 is a great fitting skate but not stiff enough for me when the old cowling with taller sides is switched for less cowling.  I find there isn't enough support without cowling.  The issue also being I have a narrow foot so I wear a narrow width.

So I need to find narrow fitting boot that is stiffer than a graf 750 but not as stiff as the Mako.  I've searched high and low for a narrow width in a 5500 or 7500 but there is no more old stock to be had.  Graf tells me they will make the narrow width custom for me.  Are there any options without going custom?

I've tried a pair of Bauer 6000s, terrible foot pain.  Tried Graf DM1050 reg width, too wide.  

If I go custom, what should I look at?  In my head I think of going back to what works which is Graf but thought maybe CCM?

On 2/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, daffy said:

Been having major issues with the stiff boot.  I bought a pair of Easton Mako (converted to goal) and the fit is great for my narrow foot.  It's definitely true that the stiffer skate makes for a wider stance.  Been trying to adjust for the past 5 months and after a terrible game again on my part, decided they aren't for me.  I'm going back to my old Graf 750s for now.  The 750 is a great fitting skate but not stiff enough for me when the old cowling with taller sides is switched for less cowling.  I find there isn't enough support without cowling.  The issue also being I have a narrow foot so I wear a narrow width.

So I need to find narrow fitting boot that is stiffer than a graf 750 but not as stiff as the Mako.  I've searched high and low for a narrow width in a 5500 or 7500 but there is no more old stock to be had.  Graf tells me they will make the narrow width custom for me.  Are there any options without going custom?

I've tried a pair of Bauer 6000s, terrible foot pain.  Tried Graf DM1050 reg width, too wide.  

If I go custom, what should I look at?  In my head I think of going back to what works which is Graf but thought maybe CCM?

I wear a Bauer Supreme 7000 boot with the lower vertexx(one80) cowling and it works great for me.  Maybe search around for those?  They're old so you'll most likely be finding used boots.  I was lucky enough to find a new old stock pair of skates on eBay a few years ago to turn to when my current boots are done.  Only problem is they're a 7.5 wide and I wear an 8 regular.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I wear a Bauer Supreme 7000 boot with the lower vertexx(one80) cowling and it works great for me.  Maybe search around for those?  They're old so you'll most likely be finding used boots.  I was lucky enough to find a new old stock pair of skates on eBay a few years ago to turn to when my current boots are done.  Only problem is they're a 7.5 wide and I wear an 8 regular.

Hey Saves,

I have had 7000 boots.  Think i still have a pair around somewhere.  Just not enough stiffness and D width too wide. Thanks though.  I put my Graf 750s back on my cowlings.  We will see what happens this week.  Im really leaning towards new grafs.  Hopefully last skate ill ever buy.

19 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Good question lol still vapors are known to be wider no? I got a hell of a wide foot. 

correct me if im wrong but i think TGN said something abt being in the opposite model depending on what you get

for example if youre a vapor player boot, youd fit best in a supreme player, vice versa 

On 2/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, daffy said:

Hey Saves,

I have had 7000 boots.  Think i still have a pair around somewhere.  Just not enough stiffness and D width too wide. Thanks though.  I put my Graf 750s back on my cowlings.  We will see what happens this week.  Im really leaning towards new grafs.  Hopefully last skate ill ever buy.

Really?  I feel there is plenty of support for me.

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

correct me if im wrong but i think TGN said something abt being in the opposite model depending on what you get

for example if youre a vapor player boot, youd fit best in a supreme player, vice versa 

I have the widest foot on earth, pretty sure wouldn't be a supreme but I'll try it out when time comes

25 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I have the widest foot on earth, pretty sure wouldn't be a supreme but I'll try it out when time comes

I have pretty wide feet too (i was in EE CCM) and D Supremes fit me suprisingly well. 

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ahhh I see.  Bummer.

It is what it is.  Graf is suggesting a 7500.  Stiffer than the old graf 750 but not stiff like all the skates out there.  Kind of s gamble without taking them for a spin but i think that will be the case no matter what i buy.

18 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I tried the 1X and 1S and I have very wide feet with a very high instep.  The 1X is a wider skate overall, but instep volume is lower than the 1S.  When I tried on the Vapor's, the top of my foot would protrude out the top of the skate.  That didn't happen in the 1S, but the 1S was much more narrow overall.  So I bought the 1S, heated them up, stretched the boot a couple turns then baked them like normal and they were perfect.

The vapors were always narrow, low volume skates in Bauer's player line.  I wear Supreme EE's punched out or Nexus EE's in player skates.  

16 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

You don't have a bunion on your right foot lol

haha well that changes things

that is one of the things true/vh advertises as reasons to get their skates  (weird things on feet) , maybe look into them? theyre pretty expensive tho

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

haha well that changes things

that is one of the things true/vh advertises as reasons to get their skates  (weird things on feet) , maybe look into them? theyre pretty expensive tho

Any custom skate plus tax In looking at what 1113? Maybe even more.... that's a little too much. I'm going to try the Supremes EE and Vapors to make a decision. It will be very interesting. 

@jayluv54 you have an issue with the top of your foot arche being high?

4 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Any custom skate plus tax In looking at what 1113? Maybe even more.... that's a little too much. I'm going to try the Supremes EE and Vapors to make a decision. It will be very interesting. 

the 1piece skates are 1k, 2piece are 800 say you get the stock skate. theres custom things you can get that bring the price up. Theyre hilariously overpriced but ive heard theyre worth it. Good luck with whatever you get though

23 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

my feet are actually pretty flat.  I have the worst combination...wide, flat feet, with a very high instep.  When it comes to anything with a boot like a ski boot or skate boot, volume is from the heel to the navicular bone because some boots will have a deeper heel pocket that affects the fit in this area and the overall volume of the skate.  So if a skate is wide, it doesn't necessarily mean that it has volume, if it has a shallow heel pocket, it will be low volume for anyone with a high instep.

@jayluv54 it's like my gf, her insteep volume is ridiculous! It's crazy, I never thought about that when it comes to skates. 

So I ended up going to pro hockey and put on 2s and 1x. Right now I have 6.5 EE 11ks. The 2s felt too tight and hurt even EE. The 1x felt perfect in the 6.5 EE.... felt close to my 11ks....I just hate new skates, I wonder how long it takes to break in. 

@Max27

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@jayluv54 it's like my gf, her insteep volume is ridiculous! It's crazy, I never thought about that when it comes to skates. 

So I ended up going to pro hockey and put on 2s and 1x. Right now I have 6.5 EE 11ks. The 2s felt too tight and hurt even EE. The 1x felt perfect in the 6.5 EE.... felt close to my 11ks....I just hate new skates, I wonder how long it takes to break in. 

@Max27

Awesome man! Enjoy your vapors!

• 4 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, daffy said:

It is what it is.  Graf is suggesting a 7500.  Stiffer than the old graf 750 but not stiff like all the skates out there.  Kind of s gamble without taking them for a spin but i think that will be the case no matter what i buy.

I am in the process of looking this up but figured I would ask in the meantime, maybe someone already remembers and can save me the time.  Are the Graf 7500s the pro model to the 5500, making the 5500 the senior model?  Or, are these a completely different line of skates?

Archived