Habs (Price) 2018-2019

RichMan

I wanted to start a thread on my only favourite team and discuss anything pertaining to their goalies.

Tonight, Thursday November 8, they faced the Sabres. So it took 2 games, 2 loses for Price to ditch the red set-up. I was expecting that. Now one thing I pride myself for with my many years playing the position, even if I didn't reach the higher echelons, is my hockey sense and intuition. Looking at Price play lately, especially tonight, I can very much tell that something is wrong. If you pay close enough attention, you can see the difference in how he moves, not battling and his mental reclusive behaviour.You can tell he's off his game but not having a chance to talk with the guy, what is the cause escapes me.

Is this just a minor set-back? Is something bigger going on? Is he hurt again? All I know is that I see the signs and can feel his pain, whatever that may be.

Expect Niemi back in goal next game, I'm positive. I know it's early in the season but something ain't right, I can feel it in my goalie bones.

21 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I wanted to start a thread on my only favourite team and discuss anything pertaining to their goalies.

Tonight, Thursday November 8, they faced the Sabres. So it took 2 games, 2 loses for Price to ditch the red set-up. I was expecting that. Now one thing I pride myself for with my many years playing the position, even if I didn't reach the higher echelons, is my hockey sense and intuition. Looking at Price play lately, especially tonight, I can very much tell that something is wrong. If you pay close enough attention, you can see the difference in how he moves, not battling and his mental reclusive behaviour.You can tell he's off his game but not having a chance to talk with the guy, what is the cause escapes me.

Is this just a minor set-back? Is something bigger going on? Is he hurt again? All I know is that I see the signs and can feel his pain, whatever that may be.

Expect Niemi back in goal next game, I'm positive. I know it's early in the season but something ain't right, I can feel it in my goalie bones.

Price has a (quiet) history of being involved with cocaine and other recreational goodies off the ice. Also he's been very injury prone as of the last few years. Or perhaps as Roland Melanson said back in 2013 that Price's play has deteriorated. Aside from all that, these new Canadiens weren't expected to be very good.

Take your pick on whatever the reason is. Either way I do agree he's not been in full form and something's up. He shows great promise in some games and then looks like a different goalie in others.

Random thoughts:

-He isn't confident in the team in front of him. I can sense it through even a few minutes of highlights. I'm having the same problem with my men's league team right now.

-He's had significant knee injuries. Those are the kiss of death and can render a top 5 goalie to an average goalie in no time.

-Have you seen their defense? I know it's not all them, but I can't believe that's an NHL roster sometimes.

-His game looks very 2012. Other thank changing the width of his stance, I don't see any updates in his game. I'm not saying he should break dance like Quick does on routine shots, but he looks passive. A lot of the little details I've noticed about him over the years (he drops then spreads a lot) seem to be more exposed with a bad defense and with a weakened body (due to injury).

-A goalie's prime is considered 26-32 usually. Could be an early decline. He's had 5 really great seasons, 3 meh, 2 bad ones.

-This is a reach, and complete speculation, but he's had tons of knee problems the last few years. I'm sure they've given him pain killers. Maybe he got hooked on them? I know this sounds crazy, but it happens. Opioids can be addictive and destructive for an athlete. I've had teammates go through this, it's a subtle where they have something just off about them, but you can't figure out what. Knowing their problems with Galchenuyck, it's, again, a reach, but a possibility. 

-Did I mention those serious knee injuries and bad defense?

14 minutes ago, TitanG said:

The other big question is why is Niemi doing so well? It seems like ever since he came over (off waivers?) last season he's been lights out. Interesting that he played so poorly under better defences like San Jose and Dallas.

I think Waite just gets his bizarre style. He was solid in San Jose. Pre-Hitchock Dallas and Pittsburgh don't have the best defensive systems either though.

No idea, maybe he's having trouble adjusting to the new CA rules? (Just throwing it out there)

BTW, if you speak German, the thread title "Habs (Price)" is a little funny at first glance. "Halb Preis" means "half price" in German...which might actually be kinda appropriate for Carey right about now? ?

6 hours ago, estogoalie said:

No idea, maybe he's having trouble adjusting to the new CA rules? (Just throwing it out there)

BTW, if you speak German, the thread title "Habs (Price)" is a little funny at first glance. "Halb Preis" means "half price" in German...which might actually be kinda appropriate for Carey right about now? ?

Die rot ist tot

9 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Price has a (quiet) history of being involved with cocaine and other recreational goodies off the ice.

As is almost every single hockey player. It's not like hitting the slopes is a very foreign things to pro's an amateurs alike.

Hell, one team I'm on has two guys that are extremely proud of their cocaine usage. Almost a manifestation of their personality.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Price dabble here or there.

9 hours ago, Moose75 said:

I think Waite just gets his bizarre style. He was solid in San Jose. Pre-Hitchock Dallas and Pittsburgh don't have the best defensive systems either though.

Agreed with this. One of the Waite's was his goalie coach in Chicago for the cup run.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agreed with this. One of the Waite's was his goalie coach in Chicago for the cup run.

I remember reading a GoalieWorld magazine where Waite described how he would watch playoff game film and ask Niemi to make small adjustments based on what he saw from different opponents. Also helped that Michael Leighton gave up the worst goal I've ever seen in a Cup Finals for the clincher.

12 hours ago, TitanG said:

The other big question is why is Niemi doing so well? It seems like ever since he came over (off waivers?) last season he's been lights out. Interesting that he played so poorly under better defences like San Jose and Dallas.

I don´t know but I guess Niemi finally realized that contract with Habs would be his last change in NHL. And he gave 110% every day. Something to do with attitude? I saw a video where both goalies were in net same time and Niemi worked like a crazy and Price was very lazy. 

31 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I remember reading a GoalieWorld magazine where Waite described how he would watch playoff game film and ask Niemi to make small adjustments based on what he saw from different opponents. Also helped that Michael Leighton gave up the worst goal I've ever seen in a Cup Finals for the clincher.

You mean the goal that led to the most bizarre and awkward call in commentating history??

11 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Last year there were no role changes, did just as bad.

13 hours ago, TitanG said:

just needed to feel comfortable somewhere and that somewhere is montreal 

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

You mean the goal that led to the most bizarre and awkward call in commentating history??

And awkward cup celebration where no one could believe a shot like that would actually go in during a game of that magnitude.

When you look up both "shame" and "sports betting" in the dictionary, this is the picture:

leighton-edmonton-journal-gary-hershorn.

Niemi is the ultimate table hockey goalie. When whomever is moving the metal rod in his back is on his game, he's a wall. Maybe it's because he doesn't have to carry the load with Les Habs? Jimmy's brother - cant remember his first name - had him here in Chicago. Man, I hope Price doesn't have a chemical issue; I agree with Rich Man: something is off.

I work with a die hard Habs fan and we've been chatting about this.  He's heard rumours of cheating and problems at home with the wife.  Rumours of drug use.  This is NO surprise to hear about pro players (and likely amateurs).  This is the problem with too much money and fame.  They feel invincible and can do whatever they like.  Would off-ice problems affect on-ice performance?  100% yes.  

Maybe he feels entitled to his #1 role on the team and doesn't feel he has to earn it or his paycheck.  Coaching can only take you so far, the rest is up to the player.

What is for certain, Price is not making the saves his team needs.  Playing in a market like Montreal and making big money but not performing = bad news.

Was talking with my physiotherapist here in Montreal yesterday, and she said she's sure he's still got substantial knee issue's. She followed his re-hab, and she thinks it was more serious than the team lead on. And his play over the past year looks like someone who's still not confident in their own body. 

Purely anecdotal, but I thought it was interesting she brought it up. She then went on a 5 minute tangent about how Lundquist is, from a kinesiology standpoint, the best goalie in the league. 

The excuses and "rumors" are freaking hilarious! Maybe the guy just lost his touch? He seems to be moving across the crease pretty damn well from what I've seen. Maybe the game is getting to his head? He gives up the goals he had 5 or 4 years ago, his D isn't the same like it was 5 years ago.  These days players are being educated on the goalies and the game is darn fast, maybe he should go back to his wider stance. 

3 hours ago, Puckducker said:

Was talking with my physiotherapist here in Montreal yesterday, and she said she's sure he's still got substantial knee issue's. She followed his re-hab, and she thinks it was more serious than the team lead on. And his play over the past year looks like someone who's still not confident in their own body. 

Purely anecdotal, but I thought it was interesting she brought it up. She then went on a 5 minute tangent about how Lundquist is, from a kinesiology standpoint, the best goalie in the league. 

Point #1: Absolutely. He does not look smooth and Price-like in recoveries or second chances. He's flopping like Smith does on a rebound.

Point #2: Would you believe he gets his skates sharpened offset and the EQ manager has a special jig for him? His movements look strange sometimes, but yet it looks like Lundqvist. I'm of the opinion that a goalie's style should be directly designed around his specific body mechanics, not just some generic technique. Some bodies work differently. Also; did she also say he's the best goalie of the modern era since Hasek and Roy? If she did she's 100% spot on.

3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

The excuses and "rumors" are freaking hilarious! Maybe the guy just lost his touch? He seems to be moving across the crease pretty damn well from what I've seen. Maybe the game is getting to his head? He gives up the goals he had 5 or 4 years ago, his D isn't the same like it was 5 years ago.  These days players are being educated on the goalies and the game is darn fast, maybe he should go back to his wider stance. 

Having a pudding knee greatly contributes to losing touch with your game. I think this is the root of all his issues. You don't just go from being the guy he was to the guy he is in less than a year without a lurking body issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived