Looking for input on my mask design

Gdobbs

First post!

So I recently got a set of Vaughn gear with the classic vintage colouring and with my favourite team being the Habs, I'm looking to get my mask painted to pay homage to some of my favourite Canadiens goalies with a few other pieces mixed in. 

The artist can do a much better job, but to get the process started, I mocked up what I was thinking.

The base layer would be snow or white bricks. On one side, I'd have the blue and red Dryden pattern like Alex Auld did but I'm deciding whether or not to make it look vintage. The other side would invert Roy's Canadiens mask to work on white so that the lines on either side look similar but take from two of the greatest Habs goalies. 

Also on either side would be a blue and red gargoyle like Theodore used to use.

At the top is one of my favourite designs on any mask. Lalime's Marvin the Martian design but with a silver Helmet (Stanley Cup subtle call out). On the chin is Roy's logo adaptation but with my initials. 

I started playing goalie about a year ago and have completely fallen in love with it. I always obsessed over gear and mask designs, so I'd love to get some input from the community!

References also attached to help show you what I'm thinking.

mask background.png

Screenshot_20181106-164843.png

1541862348548_maskidea.png

Personally, I think there's a bit much going on but you're not that far off.  From the two you rendered, I prefer the one on the left.  I really like the Roy inverted line pattern but I would drop the gargoyles all together.  Also, maybe find a way to blend marvin in because with the overlay of the line pattern and the roughed-up lines I think he sticks out like a sore thumb.  Maybe rough him up a bit too, and/or color it so it blends a little more with the rest of the mask colors.  Just my 2 cents but I think you're on the right path to a great mask CH tribute.

1 hour ago, Math. said:

Personally, I think there's a bit much going on but you're not that far off.  From the two you rendered, I prefer the one on the left.  I really like the Roy inverted line pattern but I would drop the gargoyles all together.  Also, maybe find a way to blend marvin in because with the overlay of the line pattern and the roughed-up lines I think he sticks out like a sore thumb.  Maybe rough him up a bit too, and/or color it so it blends a little more with the rest of the mask colors.  Just my 2 cents but I think you're on the right path to a great mask CH tribute.

Thanks! Yea I feel like if I let the gargoyles go it may be nice but I'm going to post what the artist comes up with. Maybe they can go on the back plate. Auld had nice gradients and ribbons with Dryden so that could be an option but I do love the Dryden on one side and Roy on the other. Definitely needs refinement!

Archived