Fullright's 2018-2019

Fullright

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Colander, I still have 5 days to weasel out of it but it is for a good cause. Most likely, I'll get my head kicked in but it's not like I am going to be drafted anytime soon. If filming is allowed, I'll put it, good, bad, or indifferent, up here. I guess I am playing against a team of firemen. 

Anyway, below is from this past Saturday. Not too bad but still some horesefeather goals and I think I am getting some of my confidence back which went away throughout February and earlier this month. Had a pad malfunction so have to get the needle and thread back out. Interesting goal by Chris off his face but fortunately his suffered no injury. When I looked up at him, I expected to see blood and teeth; instead, the puck was in the net. Commentary welcome.

You will do fine in the charity game Joe! I have to think you will have some semblance of defence in front of you in a game as opposed to the shooting gallery you face in every skate you post here. A lot of great save saves in this skate, that paddle down at the beginning, the glove save robbery on the breakaway! That shot off the guys face and into the net maybe the craziest bounce I have ever seen, that initial shot was going a mile high and wide. 

Great outing Joe - way to put that guy on his ass!!!🤣

Hotshot tried to pull a Hertl at 3:27 – as usual, you let your glove do the talking

That pad save on the 1-timer at at 3:33 - yes!

On the face shot- I guess Howie Meeker was wrong when he used to say, "good things happen when you go to the net!"

I hope you get a chance to put up the camera the the charity game. @Imperative I think any semblance of D will hurt Joe's game - he'll be both in a state of shock and bored through the entire game if that happens...

5 minutes ago, Fullright said:

I really don't know how you guys do this anymore. The game is tomorrow at 11 am and I am already shitting my pants hoping for a refrigeration system failure or something. Meanwhile, thanks for the very kind words @Imperative, @Colander, and @beansbats. I'll try my hardest. I don't want to be an embarrassment.

You'll be fine Joe... Grip it and rip it.  And really... who gives a shit... have fun with it and remind yourself why we all play the game!

On 3/30/2019 at 7:26 PM, Fullright said:

Thanks @cwarnar and @Hockey School Dropout. Not a good outcome. We lost 4 to 1. Cruising along 1 to 1 into the 3rd and they beat me for 3. I'll get the video pieced together shortly. The Mrs. held the camera. Security wouldn't let her attach the camera to the outside of the glass. 

4-1 is a tight game Joe. When your team only score one you have to be perfect to win. I wasn’t able to pitch a single shutout this season, so don’t feel bad that you didn’t in the one game. 

So here's the game. It was at the All State Arena in Rosemont Illinois where the Chicago Wolves play. Pretty strange to have my bag inspected before being taken to the dressing room. The dressing room was weird as well. Not surprisingly, the teams didnt get dressed in the real locker rooms. However, things continued being weird there as well. The team, Guns and Hoses (a team of firemen and cops), were led to the room by 2 female "chaperones". After the players piled in, I began to start undressing and of course one decides to hang around in the hall way. I was lost in concentrating and apparently she got an eye full of yours truly in my birthday suit before she decided that she should close the doors. The game itself had all the bells and whistles with the Anthem and line ups being announced over the PA. I somehow missed all of that. The opposition was another team of firemen and evidently, there's bad vibes between the teams from years past. 

The sole reason for my being "activated" is that although I am rostered on the team, I've played only 2 games for them the past 5 years, this being my 6th, since I started playing again. Any way, when the Boss asked me to play,  I said yes in a weak moment. Typically, games are the usual weeknight beer league times which I just cant and dont want to do any more. Although we lost, the one goal was enough to get the win, if not get the game into a shootout. Suspend your disbelief at how arrogant that sounds for just a second.  Of the 4 goals, I made three errors. The first goal was a result of throwing the puck up the boards. I expected a winger to be in his spot but as I was later told, the winger in question refuses to get back below the blue line. So an opposing winger collected it and fired it to his teammate who had an easy tap in. The second goal was off a rebound in front which I failed to control and misread where the D-man was going to position himself. The 3rd goal was from my not having picked up the puck early. The shooter deserves credit for a nice shot - although it wasnt that hard - and shooting it in between the defenders skates. I got my skate on it as it blew past me but obviously not enough. The 4th goal was a deflection by my teammate Josh, who's a forward, but he was back deep just trying to help out. No disrespect to the opponent but they werent anything beyond what I can handle but I made some mistakes and they ended up in the net. My play, to be "charitable" about it was average at best. Anyway, I am glad I played and now I can go back to just being a practice target. Thanks for checking it out and I truly do appreciate the encouragement the members here have extended. Hearing it from real goalies who compete makes an old gas bag like me feel pretty good. It means a lot to me.

Awesome experience Joe!!!  Overall it seemed like a decent skate... That deflection goal by your own player sucks... I seem to have at least 1 of those a skate.

I thought you did well... Being a pick up/shinny guy like me it is an adjustment going into an organized game.  Well done sir!  

Joe it sounds like it was quite the experience, haha. A forward that refuses to come inside his own blue line? Sounds like a guy I wouldn’t want on my team to be totally honest and not as a goalie but as a teammate or as the person who runs the team, not really a guy you want taking a spot on the roster. I didn’t feel like your team played all that well in front of you in the d zone. Maybe you didn’t feel like you played your best but with minimal run support you would’ve needed to be perfect to win. Good work Joe!

• 2 months later...

I just found this thread last night and I have been watching with fascination as I am a left handed goalie as well and I play a similar style as you.  I don't play at your level anymore as I am 63 and just coming back to it after a 15 year break.  After watching these videos one thing is certain, there is no goaltending issue here!  From what I could see most of the shots you identified as being misplayed were forced by the non-existent defense core.   It's like a shooting gallery there and you are making saves that no team should expect from their goalie. I had a lot of fun watching and hope you will continue to post.  And trust me... you are not the problem!    

Thanks for the very kind words, Robert. I was ok once a long time ago but I am pretty happy to be back the past 5 years after being off for 16 years. That damn charity game still gives me fits, lol. Working my way back from a hamstring problem which happened 6 or 7 weeks ago. See how it goes tomorrow night. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've  been out of things a little bit because I hurt a hamstring about 6 or 7 weeks ago together with graduations etc. At least this was pain and or discomfort free. On the merits, though, I was tentative and not confident at all. Thanks for checking it out. I know it was bad. 

@bunnyman666, I havent forgot the skates pics; working on it.

Archived