Tips when buying used gear

Netnewbie

2 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

I have looked but It eludes me right now.  Is there a thread on what to look for when buying used gear?  Is it as simple as making sure it is what they say it is or is there more to it?

haha good luck with that! Personally if I bought used gear I would want to see it first hand, trust no body!

Ask as many questions as possible. Get as many pictures as possible. Pay with credit card or a certified service like PayPal in case there is an issue and you can dispute payment.

Agree to ALL COSTS beforehand, no surprises. And Which countries currency. Ask about smell, broken bits, tears and/or repairs. 

Ive had great success with used equipment. Remember, its used, so its not gonna be perfect. But is should be as described. 

Cheers. 

I've had great success on Sidelineswap.com with gloves, skates, and a mask.

They allow manu pictures, messaging with the seller, and a protection for you as a buyer where you have to approve of the item before funds are released to seller. It feels really secure and transparent. 

I fully support asking about smell. I bought a set of gloves that were awesome and I loved them...but they smelled like rotting death and it turns out they were stored in a closed bag forever. 

I thoroughly washed them several times. They were foul.

Always ask about smell.

+1 on the smell thing. I got a Vaughn chesty used earlier this year and even though it’s a great piece it smells so bad. I’ve even ran it through the wash a couple of times and it’s still not great. I’m going to have to sell it at a huge discount when I get rid of it. 

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

It made me hyper-aware of the benefits of being vigilant about airing out and drying my gear after playing. 

Same here. I used to leave my stuff in my pickup overnight here and there if I was too tired to bring it in after a game but ever since I got that stinky chest protector I make sure to always air out everything right when I get home. 

On 11/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

haha good luck with that! Personally if I bought used gear I would want to see it first hand, trust no body!

Ya I should have stated in the original post that it  WILL be a face to face exchange.  and i guess if i use a little common sense i should be good.  Thanks to all the responded i appreciate the help!!!!

14 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I don't have much to add but for the love of God, DO NOT be a giant prick and make someone an offer if you're not gonna be prepared to pay for when they accept it.

Oh and to avoid trouble, do not buy anything from Konain Saiyed. Ever.

What was his deal? I feel like there was a lot of dust that kicked up around him right after I got rid of Facebook (and off GGSU)

11 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

Ya I should have stated in the original post that it  WILL be a face to face exchange.  and i guess if i use a little common sense i should be good.  Thanks to all the responded i appreciate the help!!!!

I've bought plenty of used stuff, my one piece of advice to add is to take your time. You can feel kind of rushed when looking at something with the person hovering right around you. Make sure you look everything over for any issues and make sure you're satisfied with the fit before you buy

• 1 month later...

As a fellow hoarder of used shit gear, I have a few things I do:

1. Verify the model. Sometimes I want a good deal on a great piece so bad that I see the gear as a better version than it really is. Not all "Vaughn Velocities" are pro grade anymore. Same with CCM stuff. The senior level looks like the pro stuff especially with puck marks on them. Plus I'm all pumped for a deal and buy too fast. Step back, double check models, then look at it again.
  2. Odd colors are typically custom, high grade gear and dirt cheap. Matching gear is for the kids!
  3. I make offers for total cost (including shipping) along with my zip code and a note that I'm in no rush. Listings will be generally pad the expected shipping costs a little. Adding my zip and the 'no rush' into my total offer lets the seller make a little more off the sale.
  4. Last bit? Don't start buying used gear. It will become an addiction once you get something pretty cheap. The internet never closes and you'll soon find yourself laying in bed next to your woman at 3 AM looking for deals. She'll assume you're up to no good with other ladies. Once she finds out you're ogling at some old ass gear, she'll leave you faster than if you were actually looking at women all night. Don't do it.

Archived