Sign in to follow this  
seagoal

Gear Not Drying in Garage in the Cold

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

I do not. 

The stinkiest gear I have is pro return gloves that I used last night.  They smelled like death when I got them.

Maybe you should incorporate something into your drying routine.

I have the cold garage issue. 

I usually do this for 3-12 hours before I skate in the winter. Depends on when I remember and how wet the gear is 😂

Works great. Heater rips off ambient heat. 

0E43F810-F96F-493B-9F08-5E53556B6858.jpeg

Ha, I've seen guys doing that in the bathroom with gear.

Moving my stuff in the house has worked great, almost too great

Here’s what I ended up doing in our laundry room. Bought a cheap portable wardrobe and air purifier. Set it up in front of a heat register and it seems to do a really good job of drying things out and containing the smell. 

371D5994-FCCA-4302-877A-22F0B4EAD94B.jpeg

F8D03761-40B0-4DA6-9A31-1A7DED1C6DE1.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice.

That's the most appealing setup I've seen yet.

Where'd you get that particular wardrobe?

Picked it up at Menards but I’m sure any home improvement type place has them. 

29 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Picked it up at Menards but I’m sure any home improvement type place has them. 

I know you live in the Midwest!!! 

Mind if I post this on Instagram? What was the total cost? 

11 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nice setup, @wox33

Thanks. I had noticed that the $300 version you could buy was just a wardrobe with a air purifier built so I figured there must be a way to do it way cheaper and this seems to get the job done. I’d like it if there was one more shelf for the bottom but it does what it needs to do. 

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

I know you live in the Midwest!!! 

Mind if I post this on Instagram? What was the total cost? 

Haha, yeah I forget Menards is mainly in this area.

Be my guest! I believe the total was about $65. 

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Do you keep your mitts outside of it?

No they go on the empty shelf right about the purifier. I’m currently waiting for my new stuff to come since I sold my 1X set on a whim last week so what you see is all I have at the moment haha. 

Yeah my Sunday group wasn’t real amused that I couldn’t play tonight but everything should be here middle of next week. 

6 minutes ago, Rebound Athletic said:

This is great - nice job @wox33!  I keep my gear in the garage so I'd have to rig some kind of dryer / heat source for those cold winter nights, but it may be worth it.  Thanks for posting this on IG @TheGoalNet!

Thanks for joining!

Feel free to share any of you repairs and mods. People are always looking for that

Also figure I should give a quick update since I’ve been using this setup for over a month now. This is setup in a fairly small laundry room and has almost completely eliminated the smell from the room. Before this setup the wife was getting ready to burn all my gear so it’s a vast improvement to say the least. It does smell a bit when you open the doors so the purifier doesn’t keep the gear smelling like roses or anything but it does keep it contained well. It also does a good job of drying as I played last night and when I just went down and checked and everything would be dry and ready to go if I played tonight. 

2 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Also figure I should give a quick update since I’ve been using this setup for over a month now. This is setup in a fairly small laundry room and has almost completely eliminated the smell from the room. Before this setup the wife was getting ready to burn all my gear so it’s a vast improvement to say the least. It does smell a bit when you open the doors so the purifier doesn’t keep the gear smelling like roses or anything but it does keep it contained well. It also does a good job of drying as I played last night and when I just went down and checked and everything would be dry and ready to go if I played tonight. 

Any durability conerns with the framing considering the weight of we gear?  Does this unit's skeleton feel solid to you?

My partner too has had it with my gear spread out on the floor of our laundery room, especially since it blocks our basement door going out to the garage.  I found a similar unit on Home Depot's website, but since you have experience with this one with gear, I'm more keen to getting this one. 

I wouldn’t say it’s the highest quality but the shelves have no bend or bow in them with stuff on them. I would say the two rails that the chest and pants are hung on show a little bend when under weight but nothing that concerns me that they might break at any point. I wouldn’t probably hang anything else on either rail but as is I think I’ll be fine. 

I think any portable wardrobe would do the trick as long as it fits the space available. I went with the one I got mainly due to price and the doors so I didn’t have to roll the panels up and down all the time. 

There is a great video by VOGoalie on Youtube showing this unit assembled and in use. There are two sizes available and he switched to the wider one as the narrow unit did not fit the pads well in the center section.

• Thanks 1