Gear Not Drying in Garage in the Cold

seagoal

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IPv6Freely said:

I have this with a cheap box fan pointing at it. My stuff is dry in about an hour.

I'd love to get something different though as I'm trying my best to have a rule where nothing is on the garage floor unless its on wheels.

image.thumb.png.5dadbd0a245b1b72e3441dc8618646d3.png

Could you mount that to a dolly or even cover it with a small wardrobe like @wox33 did?

On 11/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, dualshowman said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNGJFX1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently purchased this ^^^. Having owned a Rocket Sport Dryer for years, I can say that it was worth what I paid for it. It is rather flimsy and the limited space inside restricts your options for organizing how and where to hang your equipment. It has, however, worked every time I have used it, and by now that is probably close to 800 or 900 times. If you go the Rocket Sport Dryer route, be prepared for pretty bad fit-and-finish and the "I paid this much for something that was clearly made in a sweatshop?!?" vibe.

That said, with the proliferation of cheap crap from China and elsewhere being delivered to your door in about 48 hours, it was very hard to pass up on this portable clothes dryer. It is much, much larger, surprisingly sturdy once assembled, and far less expensive than the Rocket. As a result of the 'shelves' on the inside, you are afforded more options regarding the orientation of your gear relative to the drying unit. I am able to fit every piece of equipment, minus the leg pads, I wore that skate with room to spare. You certainly could fit leg pads in with everything else, but I suspect there will be some air-flow restrictions as a result. Once dry, this dryer functions equally well as a storage system for the gear, something the Rocket cannot do nearly as well. The single demerit is that the timer caps out at 3 hours... which is often not enough to dry my catcher. I sweat a very clean sweat, but I do so profusely. This is the closest thing to a super-power I may have. 

EDIT: 

P.S. - I purchased this unit for about $85, and I see that it's gone up in price. Still worth a look, IMO

Thanks for posting, this has been a game-changer!!

I got all new gear for the 2018 season and decided I was going to try to prevent vs remove/mask any smell/funk, etc. I picked up a Rocket Dryer, loaded it up after the first game of the season, had loads of trouble getting everything in, only to have a leg snap off. Got a replacement for free, only to find myself in the exact same scenario.

Found this post and it's been fantastic. I have a big shelving unit from Costco to store all my gear, my bag folds up on top, and this dryer folds up and tucks behind. You'd never know it's in there. I run the gear through the max time (4 hours) and every single piece is bone dry.

I hit everything with a quick enzyme spray and let 'er rip.

Again, THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 6:09 AM, SteveMTL said:

There is a great video by VOGoalie on Youtube showing this unit assembled and in use. There are two sizes available and he switched to the wider one as the narrow unit did not fit the pads well in the center section.

Hey, I just revisited this thread and I checked out the video you referenced.  I can't thank you enough.  It's a testament for sure to how videos can bring an idea to life like text or pics can not. I've watched many of VOGoalie's videos but I wasn't aware of the storage video.  I took his advice and ordered that same unit just now, the 59 inch wide one.  

It should show up in time before my partner sets my gear on fire in the yard.

So thanks so much for that reference.  

I see that you're new on this site, so welcome and please post more often when you can.  Looking forward to seeing on here more.

Archived