Brown Chest Protector Thread

My old 1800
1zbgzsi.jpg

John's shop picture of my current 2200.  The chest plate was supposed to be royal blue to match my old c/a.  

ao8aa1.jpg

2hs53zk.jpg
Back plate loop for carabiner, which has since been removed and changed to a different means of connecting my c/a to my goal pants.
ldyq8.jpg
Dip in backplate neckline. Its barely noticeable here, not the most thought out picture, apologies.
3477gra.jpg
"Lundqvist" mod. I really wanted this to be a bit more pronounced of an angle but it still works just fine.
2gt6z54.jpg
2cmvuhs.jpg
Left current 1800, right new 2200
33ysuvp.jpg

Mod list for the 2200

-Lower half of the split chest plate, attached slightly lower then what I see most getting so it sits a little more centered on the chest.
-Segmented shoulder floaters
-Dip at the top of the backplate.  I hate how the top of my 1800 poked out the back of my jersey and can sometimes feel it hit the backplate of my mask.
-Lundqvist mod for my suspenders.  I like to wear them over the chest but I don't tuck the belly.  As it is now, I feed the suspenders through the gap between the chest pad and the side rib pads.  He angled the bottom tips of the side wings down and away so it forms a slightly bigger gap for the suspenders.
-Loop on the backplate to attach my carabiner.

• Like 2

Just sent them an email checking on a custom 2000 unit, I'm old and short so I need any extra flaps or ridges I can get to stop pucks. lol

Anyone have any recommendations for c/a mods if any?

Also checked on revisiting my old 287 pads as a custom option.

I had to take a break off the ice and sometimes some new equipment makes the transition easier. (Plus my current Brown 2000 is beat up badly) I am now on blood thinners, so bruising is a concern.

On 4/21/2017 at 9:37 PM, Mike24 said:

I'd love to pick up a used one.  (Anyone) I'm 5'7" 155

I'm contemplating selling my 1800.  If I do I'll let you know.  Its a medium so it should fit you perfectly.

12 hours ago, chunkinstien said:

Just sent them an email checking on a custom 2000 unit, I'm old and short so I need any extra flaps or ridges I can get to stop pucks. lol

Anyone have any recommendations for c/a mods if any?

Also checked on revisiting my old 287 pads as a custom option.

I had to take a break off the ice and sometimes some new equipment makes the transition easier. (Plus my current Brown 2000 is beat up badly) I am now on blood thinners, so bruising is a concern.

I would suggest the segmented shoulder floaters because I love mine, but, if you're going to build a 2000 with the ridges on the floaters then I don't know if they can do segmented shoulder floaters.  Other than that I would ask for the top of the back plate to have a dip in it so it doesn't ride up and interfere with the back of your mask.  It sometimes happened in my 1800.  It wasn't often but when it did it was annoying.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, chunkinstien said:

John got back to me, they can do the segmented floaters on the 2000, so may try that out for sure. My current used 2000 medium fits terrible, so having all the measurements done will ensure a solid fit I hope. Can't believe I've tried all of John's gear except a custom c/a.

Nice!  I love the segmented floaters.  Keeps everything nice and flat.

• 8 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 12:50 AM, netminder said:

How well can you bend your arms in those if the elbow floaters are all one solid block with no splits? Can you touch opposite ears?

I've never tried to touch my opposite ear, but in my experience the "Brown arms aren't flexible" thing isn't actually true.  I put my mask up multiple times a game for water with no issues whatsoever.

On 1/7/2018 at 12:50 AM, netminder said:

How well can you bend your arms in those if the elbow floaters are all one solid block with no splits? Can you touch opposite ears?

5 minutes ago, sebastiancp1 said:

I've never tried to touch my opposite ear, but in my experience the "Brown arms aren't flexible" thing isn't actually true.  I put my mask up multiple times a game for water with no issues whatsoever.

Like every other piece of gear, it needs to be broken in.  My Brown was a little stiff at first and then settled in.  I do agree though that the Brown arm floaters could be designed a little better.

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Like every other piece of gear, it needs to be broken in.  My Brown was a little stiff at first and then settled in.  I do agree though that the Brown arm floaters could be designed a little better.

Yeah, that's a fair description.  I also wear the arms loose-ish so was never too much of an issue for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Happy to have found an "active" goalie forum. Long overdue since GSBB has gone silent and I find Facebook useless as an information source.

My question: How long did it take you guys before you feel good in a new Brown chest ?

I bought a Brown 2400 and have used it for 6 months when I play pickup to "break it in". I would say I might have 20 to 24 hours in it max.

I still don't feel comfortable in it, it just feels like the plastic parts are too stiff/bulky and hinder my movement, especially the shoulder floaters (I did ask for 2 inch wider and removable shoulder lifts that I don't use anymore, don't like added height). I did have a super hot shower in it(read that it helped) played around with strapping, etc.. still I just feel like I don't like that chest and might have to sell it ? 

I do find it hot so I might remove built in neck collar to help in air flow. I might also remove the extra chest pieces to help reducing bulkiness.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

brown2400.jpg

Edited by und3rd06
added info & pics

@und3rd06 removing the collar will definitely help cool you down, it will give the body heat a better chance of venting out.

The biggest reason for the bulkiness you are feeling is the wider shoulder floaters you ordered.  No amount of breaking in is going to stop those from impeding being able to put your arms in front of you.  With the width of those, you could probably remove that white floater piece directly above the elbow floaters.  I can see that being redundant and factoring in the bulkiness.
Were it me, I would remove the collar and trim the shoulder floaters back to the about where that white stripe is... similar to my pic of my JB553 a couple of posts up.