True/VH 2 piece skate A TRUE DISAPPOINTMENT

Big2

So I bought a pair of True/VH skates (2 piece) for my son on Aug 26th!

Got the skates in a timely fashion +/- 4 weeks 

Go to the local shop to get them baked - that's when all hell broke loose! Skates where baked in order to form them to my sons foot upon pulling his foot out we realized that both heel bumps to keep your foot in place where ripped off the back of the skate!

We had the skates sent to True/VH for repair, took about 2 weeks - skates came back only the back section was repaired they did not redo the whole inside with all do respect to True/VH not sure if that was feasible? The repair job was not very well done, both sections where not similar upon repair and one side had numerous wrinkles!

Anyhow, my son takes of for school and for the entire week he kept texting me that the skates did not perform well - he kept falling?  I initially thought that it was due to the sharpening, so I brought them to his skate sharpening facility to get the blades checked to see if they where poorly sharpened - while not perfect the technician explained to me that the issue was that the holder was crooked, angled towards the inside of his foot no wonder he kept falling!!

SO I WENT BALISTIC and had the True Rep meet me where we bought the skates and I gave him two options he gave my money back or make a new pair of skates! We agreed to a new pair of skates!!

So this weekend my sons new pair of skates arrived - pull them out of the box AND GUESS WHAT the folder on the left skate was crooked angled inward so I asked the store owner to give me my money back - which he did!!

So I have lost nearly 3 months of going back and forth with True/VH in order to get a useless pair of skates I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you stay away from these skates.  I am meeting the CCM Rep on Saturday at another store to see what they have to offer both in a custom or off the shelf skate ( if it fits properly ) and I will inquire about their upcoming line as well.

Be wise in your skate purchase - FYI these skates are high maintenance if they get them right for you so if your not into taking high care of your gear dont even come close to this product!

I can understand your frustration, but this honestly sounds like a very unique situation.  I know a lot of people, both skaters and goalies wearing True/VH skates and I've heard about the quality control issues like rivets falling out, glue separating, stitching issues, etc., but I don't know how they could get where they are with the following they have in the hockey community right now if they can't build a skate correctly.

1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

bauer for the win, 

i was so tempted by vh skates, had my foot tracings and everything.

then thought better after seeing a few horror stories and bought some 1s skates, best thing ive done

this.  I have the cowlingless Vapors and love them.  And yeah, I have weird feet, but they fit.

I said a little while back that I wasn't all that impressed with True and their skates. I mean they're not terrible and or lousy but for me personally, they're not all that they're cracked up to be. Still find them to be stiff after 3 years and not all that comfortable. If it wasn't for such a high price tag and having to eat at least 50% of what I paid, I would have been rid of mine long time ago. Basically waiting for them to fall apart.

Don't get me wrong, I think that they're good. But they don't work for everyone.

TGN - yes as of this morning I have been advised to wait for the new CCM skates my sons current Bauer Reactor 9000's are fine till next April!!

Will be seing a test pair of the new CCM shortly - hopefully the blade holder system will be well designed!

TGN while I appreciate you asking for help @ True please take note that even if they gave us a free pair of skates I would not take them.  I cant think of a worst experience with any piece of equipment since my son has been playing hockey - moving on.

Finally if I can find both Bauer Reactors ( cowling less and the current CCM skates his size at one store I will go take a good look a them ) also will inquire on when the Graf cowling less skate will be coming out as well, however if their going the cheap route like True/VH with a player holder I will pass.

Last comment - Titan there are two player who also have rivet issues with their player skates on my sons team, I learned about this after I had placed my order.

4 hours ago, Big2 said:

TGN - yes as of this morning I have been advised to wait for the new CCM skates my sons current Bauer Reactor 9000's are fine till next April!!

Will be seing a test pair of the new CCM shortly - hopefully the blade holder system will be well designed!

Not sure if you can get away with it for "confidentiality" reasons, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind the free advertising on this board if you were to snap a few pics of the skates when you have them in hand. I've been weighing getting new skates next season and have these at top of the list at this point for the "no cowling" options out there.

12 hours ago, TitanG said:

Well looks like this is a recent issue even with junior and pro players (EQMs on Twitter):

CFC11028-4437-4B51-B4F8-E9ECC9134D1D.thumb.jpeg.d18dfec7e30e7ead9510a7662e12eded.jpeg

They need shorter rivets. Happens on my makos too. I use 5/16 or 6/16 most normal skates use 7-8/16th rivets. because the rivets isn't grabbing onto anything. Once I switch I've had no issues in 3 months.

A couple things related to the OP thread. First off, your initial couple of posts scream what we always joked about when I worked at a well known hockey shop. Mom or dad walks into store.  “My son plays AAA elite travel almost professional international hockey, do you have white tape?” Relax, let him have fun, he’s not gonna be an NHL level goalie, sorry.

On that note, i had my feet drawings as well as all other measurements done by founder Scott. Bottom line, the fit, finish  and everything else was not what I expected after dropping a thousand dollars. Won’t go into every detail regarding having to use moleskin, having them baked 3 times with gauze stuffed around my ankles and other areas to try to alleviate pressure areas. Having a different set of tongues sent to me to try and make a custom set of skates fit me. Total waste of money. Was sold a bill of they’re like slippers, etc...

Takeoff - I never eluded to my son expected to play in the NHL less than 1% of kids playing elite hockey make it to the NHL!

That being said too bad about your experience with True - obviously you have had yours for a while if you dealt with Scott direct?

5 hours ago, TakeOffEh said:

A couple things related to the OP thread. First off, your initial couple of posts scream what we always joked about when I worked at a well known hockey shop. Mom or dad walks into store.  “My son plays AAA elite travel almost professional international hockey, do you have white tape?” Relax, let him have fun, he’s not gonna be an NHL level goalie, sorry.

I am a parent of a son playing hockey, and I have NEVER gone into a store and said that; I always ask for black tape.

:rofl:

Jake - so I pulled the trigger on a pair of 2S skates size 10.5 width D with 2 pair of 4MM fat blades from Step if he likes the stock 3MM blade I will go and change them on Monday.  My son has a game tomorrow he will be using his Reactors for the last time and on Sunday he will try his 2S when he attends a 2HR training with his coach will keep you posted on both the skates and 3MM vs 4MM per my son!

FYI this was not planned but got 20% off due to tomorrow being black Friday - so I basically got the extra blades for the cost of the original skate price!!

He tried the CCM Super Tacks - these skates where like putting on Snowmobiling boots way too much volume for my sons foot they where quickly excluded!

To all - Bauer does not do custom goalie skates only True and CCM and my son following the comments above did not want to wait for a skate that he didn't really know, has always been in a pair of Bauer's so we decided to pull the trigger!

To all - did you all know that True only has one boot for all their skates, they only switch the holders (2 piece vs 1 piece and goalie blade for the 2 piece goalie skate and player blade for the player skate +) and they add that tab behind the player skate to the goalie boot.  The reason I realized this is that my son was telling the skate clerk that all the players on his  team that had True player skates (2) where having issues with the 1 rivet/screw that holds that section to the boot! 

Finally if you take a look at their skate its a speed skating skate that's where the VH started out!

3 hours ago, Big2 said:

Jake - so I pulled the trigger on a pair of 2S skates size 10.5 width D with 2 pair of 4MM fat blades from Step if he likes the stock 3MM blade I will go and change them on Monday.  My son has a game tomorrow he will be using his Reactors for the last time and on Sunday he will try his 2S when he attends a 2HR training with his coach will keep you posted on both the skates and 3MM vs 4MM per my son!

FYI this was not planned but got 20% off due to tomorrow being black Friday - so I basically got the extra blades for the cost of the original skate price!!

He tried the CCM Super Tacks - these skates where like putting on Snowmobiling boots way too much volume for my sons foot they where quickly excluded!

To all - Bauer does not do custom goalie skates only True and CCM and my son following the comments above did not want to wait for a skate that he didn't really know, has always been in a pair of Bauer's so we decided to pull the trigger!

To all - did you all know that True only has one boot for all their skates, they only switch the holders (2 piece vs 1 piece and goalie blade for the 2 piece goalie skate and player blade for the player skate +) and they add that tab behind the player skate to the goalie boot.  The reason I realized this is that my son was telling the skate clerk that all the players on his  team that had True player skates (2) where having issues with the 1 rivet/screw that holds that section to the boot! 

Finally if you take a look at their skate its a speed skating skate that's where the VH started out!

Respectfully, this is incorrect. Bauer will do a custom. I work in retail hockey and it's been done. Recently in fact.

Archived