CCM Pro Goalie Mask

ULTIMA

Wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience in owning or wearing the CCM Pro mask. About time to pull the trigger on a new lid and thus far this is the front-runner. Any info would help. Respectfully, just wana hear from those who own the pro, not the lesser-grade masks.

10 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience in owning or wearing the CCM Pro mask. About time to pull the trigger on a new lid and thus far this is the front-runner. Any info would help. Respectfully, just wana hear from those who own the pro, not the lesser-grade masks.

Ultima my son has the GFL Pro and he loves it, coming from a Protechsport I was not happy with his original request but the mask fits him perfectly.  I am possibly going to look into getting some foam upgrades next summer will advice.

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@ULTIMA I have owned and used the 2015 model of the pro mask (pre-D3O). If you are interested in info on that one, let me know but I figured you meant the latest model. 

That’s the one I’ve physically used. However, I’ve held / tried on the GFL Pro Stock & NHL Pro stock. I have most of the tech info and answer questions 

11 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Yeah I was speaking about their latest model with the D30 foams and the single vent hole on the sides.

Ultima - that would be the GFL pro as an FYI the NHL PRO mask is nearly impossible to get unless you have access to someone who can source it for you and the cost is extremely high $1500 - $2000 the pricing information is about 3/4 months old as I had the possibility of getting one for my son but ran into the same issues as the Protechsport no HECC/CSA approvals

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Ultima - that would be the GFL pro as an FYI the NHL PRO mask is nearly impossible to get unless you have access to someone who can source it for you and the cost is extremely high $1500 - $2000 the pricing information is about 3/4 months old as I had the possibility of getting one for my son but ran into the same issues as the Protechsport no HECC/CSA approvals

I was talking about the retail mask which has the D30 foam in it. I work in a store and we sell them so you're talking about something else.

9 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I was talking about the retail mask which has the D30 foam in it. I work in a store and we sell them so you're talking about something else.

From the CCM GF Pro to the GFL Pro, here are the changes:

- Shell change from Carbon / Kevlar / Fiberglass layup to 100% Carbon

- Production source changed to composite focused supplier

- Process changed from a wet lay up to a Pre-Pregnated materials ( @Don Straus if you are bored and want decode this for us 😉 )

- Molding improved from a 2 way molding process to a 4 way

- These changes yield a lighter and stiffer mask

- Liner update to include D30 in the forehead

- To quantify this... The GFL Pro  withstood 5X more shots to the forehead and 5X more shots to the chin at 100 mp/h, compared to a top selling competitive mask, before cracking occurred. Seperate tests were run on the forehead and chin internally during development. This testing was done to benchmark the 100% carbon shell to a carbon / kevlar hybrid shell. Per the results, 100% carbon seems to yield the strongest shell.

With my Gen 1 GF Pro, I found it to be super light. I never really had a ringing or any issues like that, but there were times I sort of felt the puck. It's to explain, but I could sort of pin point exactly where the shit hit the shell. My mask also had Protechsport padding and not the stock engineered foam. With Protechsport, you basically have no ear padding. I believe this factored into my peculiar experience.

The improvements to the shell have me interested and I will probably look to get one in 2019.

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

- Process changed from a wet lay up to a Pre-Pregnated materials ( @Don Straus if you are bored and want decode this for us 😉 )

- To quantify this... The GFL Pro  withstood 5X more shots to the forehead and 5X more shots to the chin at 100 mp/h, compared to a top selling competitive mask, before cracking occurred. Seperate tests were run on the forehead and chin internally during development. This testing was done to benchmark the 100% carbon shell to a carbon / kevlar hybrid shell. Per the results, 100% carbon seems to yield the strongest shell.

With my Gen 1 GF Pro, I found it to be super light. I never really had a ringing or any issues like that, but there were times I sort of felt the puck. It's to explain, but I could sort of pin point exactly where the shit hit the shell. My mask also had Protechsport padding and not the stock engineered foam. With Protechsport, you basically have no ear padding. I believe this factored into my peculiar experience.

The improvements to the shell have me interested and I will probably look to get one in 2019.

TGN - great update and summary

On 11/27/2018 at 11:31 PM, TheGoalNet said:

The concept of 'pre-pregnated' or 'pre-preg' refers to the way the resin is infused into the cloth (fibreglass, carbon fibre, aramid, etc).

Rather than a conventional 'wet layup' - when the resin is mixed with it's catalyst in a separate vessel, then poured and squeegeed onto the cloth, then placed into the mould, the pre-preg has it's resin and catalyst (hardener) impregnated into the cloth, after being properly measured for the weight of the fabric it is being impregnated into.

The measuring of the correct cloth/resin ratio is to prevent dry spots (too little resin) or extra pooling of excess resin, that adds weight, and offers no extra strength benefits. 

The coated fabric is then frozen, because the catalyst causes the resin to react/harden with heat. The pre-preg needs to be kept frozen, until it is time to be cut into (presumably) patterns and laid into the tool/mould. When the pre-preg is loaded into the tool the fabric and tool needs to be wrapped/sealed in plastic and connected to a strong vacuum source, to suck out all the extra air, and compress the layers as close together as possible. The other option is to have a two sided (male/female) tool, and then have the two halves of the mould squeezed together - eliminating the air, and aiding the compression. To properly cure/harden the impregnated resins, the tool (of either format) needs to be heated.

In theory, the pre-preg method should make more efficient use of the materials (fabric and resin) and result in a stronger, lighter structure.    

I'm happy to report that I had a great outing with the new mask.

It's the 3rd different mask I'v gone into in as many years. Previously coming from a Sportmask Pro Series Quick mask, I didn't notice much difference in the way of comfort or feel. First time in over 10 years that I work a certified "grid" cage which was different but that's because I don't have a cat-eye yet. It was snug everything felt fine. No shots off the noggin (yet). I did notice an increase of peripheral vision which is fantastic. And I do like that the single vent hole is placed off center towards the window, this will be good for when I get my mask painted this month. All in all, very satisfied, will likely buy another this year and continue to rock these masks for as long as they are available.

Thusfar, strongly recommended!

Archived