Angles or something else?

dstew29

I know its hard to give constructive feedback without some video to back this up but I'll still throw it out there. I'm about 7-8 skates back from a long layoff and really starting to get into a good groove again. However, my last skate was an actual men's league game (Tier 2/3 - which is pretty competitive - maybe half played some college and half high school/club) where prior to this I was just filling in for shinny or scrimmages i.e. no refs and lower energy.

I had to make some big adjustments right off the bat for the better skill/chemistry level (these teams play together year to year and it showed) and all around faster game pace. I thought I had a pretty solid outing given my situation but found myself getting beat on three separate occasions on mid/low blocker side (regular glove hand). These weren't "soft" goals but I should have stopped all of them. Two were high slot without much of a screen, so I should have had enough time to get a good angle / stance.

I'm little over 5'10" and use 25" stick so that feels right to me and currently using CCM P2 which is about a light as they get right now. Anyone else been working on a "weakness" like this? Just for context, I think I had 4 or 5 similar "slot area" scoring chances that I cleanly gloved or blocked with my glove so didn't get beat glove side all game in similar situations.

I'm thinking I'm a "glove" first, "blocker" second mentality or just giving up some angle on the blocker side inadvertently. 

2 hours ago, dstew29 said:

I know its hard to give constructive feedback without some video to back this up but I'll still throw it out there. I'm about 7-8 skates back from a long layoff and really starting to get into a good groove again. However, my last skate was an actual men's league game (Tier 2/3 - which is pretty competitive - maybe half played some college and half high school/club) where prior to this I was just filling in for shinny or scrimmages i.e. no refs and lower energy.

I had to make some big adjustments right off the bat for the better skill/chemistry level (these teams play together year to year and it showed) and all around faster game pace. I thought I had a pretty solid outing given my situation but found myself getting beat on three separate occasions on mid/low blocker side (regular glove hand). These weren't "soft" goals but I should have stopped all of them. Two were high slot without much of a screen, so I should have had enough time to get a good angle / stance.

I'm little over 5'10" and use 25" stick so that feels right to me and currently using CCM P2 which is about a light as they get right now. Anyone else been working on a "weakness" like this? Just for context, I think I had 4 or 5 similar "slot area" scoring chances that I cleanly gloved or blocked with my glove so didn't get beat glove side all game in similar situations.

I'm thinking I'm a "glove" first, "blocker" second mentality or just giving up some angle on the blocker side inadvertently. 

i used to get beat high glove a lot so i keep my glove higher up as well as switched from a 600 to 590, and i wasnt feeling mobile enough so i switched to a narrower stance if thats what you mean

For me finding a blocker that works is just as important as finding a glove that works. Technique with the blocker is key too though, make sure you’re not just punching it and you keep it in front of your pad. use your wrist more to redirect it. With your glove if you’re getting beat high glove maybe find a glove with a higher thumb angle if that makes sense. Find what gear works for you and go from there, if you have anymore questions just ask 

Without video it's impossible to say but, most likely an angle thing. Were the shooters right or left shot, did you square to the shooter instead of the puck? Could it be a depth or timing thing, the faster pace didn't allow you to challenge as much  as you wanted or didn't allow you to be set before the shot? Could it be that each of the 3 were caused be a different issue? Seems to me that the shooters may have been seeing space on the blocker side indicating that it is most likely an angle thing.

Archived