Dangler, Collar-Style neck guard, both, or none?

Max27

There's no objectively best option. 

It's about your personal comfort and tolerance. 

I use only a dangler.   Why? I'm very prone to overheating and I feel suffocated in a collar.

I use the auto door strip hack on my mask to reduce noise and reduce chipping from the dangler.

Plus, I just think masks look more badass with a dangler than without one.

Another person might not struggle with the heat increase from a collar and hate the noise/look of a dangler.  That goalie would be opposite to me.

One objective thing: nothing is worse than either one.

20 minutes ago, seagoal said:

There's no objectively best option. 

It's about your personal comfort and tolerance. 

I use only a dangler.   Why? I'm very prone to overheating and I feel suffocated in a collar.

I use the auto door strip hack on my mask to reduce noise and reduce chipping from the dangler.

Plus, I just think masks look more badass with a dangler than without one.

Another person might not struggle with the heat increase from a collar and hate the noise/look of a dangler.  That goalie would be opposite to me.

One objective thing: nothing is worse than either one.

yeah i hate the feeling of both but i dont wanna get hurt so i wear the bib in ice 

i hate it so much. seen guys like Lehner wear no neck guards and i can see why. so much more comfortable

15 minutes ago, seagoal said:

That said, my last game I had a puck get under my dangler and deflect into my collar bone.

Pros and cons. 

I rather that than my throat. 

20181127_183048.jpg

yikes.

Just a U shaped dangler for me. Hate anything around my neck. 

Recently got a velo7 chesty to try and had a knuckling puck hit my collar bone, my dangler took out most of the velocity of the shot. Most likely I will be adding a bib to the chesty soon.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Neck guard. I absolutely loathe using a dangler.

Clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang

@Max27 as much as it pains me... I agree with @coopaloop1234 on this. I wear a neck guard and no dangler... although in the past I have used both. I just don't like a dangler hanging and clanging. That said... I also have had instances of significant bruising bruising from shots on my neck and clavicle when wearing both or just neck guard. I do now use a Maltese (made in the last run of customs this summer) and it's a tank. Taken a few shots to it and don't feel a thing... even when guys on the bench are wincing after just seeing the shot.

At the end of the day though... find what works for you. Neck guard is all but mandated I thought... and wearing it super loose can get to the point of being... well... pointless. So you'll have to find the balance between comfort and enough protection. The last thing you want is an injury that could have been prevented... not to mention... when you see a guy winding up for a clapper your focus should be on the puck and not thinking "I hope this one doesn't catch me neck."

I also agree with @coopaloop1234, I had a dangler but it seemed too loud to me and the movement of it in my peripheral threw off my puck tracking. I now only use a custom PAW Neckguard. I forgot the specs on mine, I'll see if I can find those for y'all. It's kind of heavy, but once everything's on you don't notice it. I've received several shots to the throat while wearing that thing and I was still able to yell at the person who shot me there.

18 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

At the end of the day though... find what works for you. Neck guard is all but mandated I thought... and wearing it super loose can get to the point of being... well... pointless. So you'll have to find the balance between comfort and enough protection. The last thing you want is an injury that could have been prevented... not to mention... when you see a guy winding up for a clapper your focus should be on the puck and not thinking "I hope this one doesn't catch me neck."

Pretty sure I've scorned Max on this before too. Neck protection is mandatory, pick one or two, just don't pick neither. @Max27 you're too young to be playing with fire by not wearing some sort of neck protection.

Save those poor decisions to the old dumb guys, like @BadAngle41 ;) (Or myself I guess)

Used both until I outgrew the neck guard I was using while at a goalie camp, ripped it off mid session and have just used a dangler since.  Only had a few shots get through, and they all rattled through so I didn't end up with any sweet bruises or anything.

+1 to pick one or both but not neither.

Just waiting on an Eco Pro Foam neck guard to pass through customs and the Canada Post strikes, then hoping to get out of the dangler.  Had a few C/A's where the dangler would get caught sometimes when on the post and looking back and forth.

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure I've scorned Max on this before too. Neck protection is mandatory, pick one or two, just don't pick neither. @Max27 you're too young to be playing with fire by not wearing some sort of neck protection.

Save those poor decisions to the old dumb guys, like @BadAngle41 ;) (Or myself I guess)

i wear the bib thing bc i dont wanna get hurt i just cant stand it lol

17 hours ago, TitanG said:

If you can get a gel one (like a Maltese or PAW) you may be able to put it in the freezer before a game so it doesn't heat up as quickly.

I personally use both but am relatively paranoid lol.

im not as concerned abt the heat of it, just find they kinda choke u if u wear them tight but its kinda flimsy if its loose

been playing around w the one i have trying to find a medium so to speak

6 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

for me so far i have had good luck with my dangler.  my neck guard in my chesty is attached by velcro so i have i have had to experiment with positioning. i have also noticed i have a tendaency to shrug if there is a shot coming to tighten everything up 

yea i do the same like the shrug motion

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Neck guard. I absolutely loathe using a dangler.

Clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang

agreed

6 hours ago, itis121 said:

Just a U shaped dangler for me. Hate anything around my neck. 

Recently got a velo7 chesty to try and had a knuckling puck hit my collar bone, my dangler took out most of the velocity of the shot. Most likely I will be adding a bib to the chesty soon.

ive seen the danglers crack on shots and ive had the lacing on danglers fall off during game and it is a nightmare

6 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Max27 as much as it pains me... I agree with @coopaloop1234 on this. I wear a neck guard and no dangler... although in the past I have used both. I just don't like a dangler hanging and clanging. That said... I also have had instances of significant bruising bruising from shots on my neck and clavicle when wearing both or just neck guard. I do now use a Maltese (made in the last run of customs this summer) and it's a tank. Taken a few shots to it and don't feel a thing... even when guys on the bench are wincing after just seeing the shot.

yea i agree making it too loose will make it meaningless 

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I also agree with @coopaloop1234, I had a dangler but it seemed too loud to me and the movement of it in my peripheral threw off my puck tracking. I now only use a custom PAW Neckguard. I forgot the specs on mine, I'll see if I can find those for y'all. It's kind of heavy, but once everything's on you don't notice it. I've received several shots to the throat while wearing that thing and I was still able to yell at the person who shot me there.

yea if u can find the specs on ur paw that would be great. been looking at them as well as the aegis interceptor, it has d3o in it

4 hours ago, aircanuck said:

We had Buffalo Sabres season tickets back when Clint Malarchuk was their goalie. Long story short, I wear my flea collar, but am like @coopaloop1234 , can't stand that plastic thing bobbing around. Plus it looks not so hot with the Armadilla. 

agreed. hate the floppiness of a dangler

2 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

Maltese.  Soon to have a PAW.  No dangler.  Never got used to it.

what didnt u like abt the maltese?

7 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Used both until I outgrew the neck guard I was using while at a goalie camp, ripped it off mid session and have just used a dangler since.  Only had a few shots get through, and they all rattled through so I didn't end up with any sweet bruises or anything.

+1 to pick one or both but not neither.

Just waiting on an Eco Pro Foam neck guard to pass through customs and the Canada Post strikes, then hoping to get out of the dangler.  Had a few C/A's where the dangler would get caught sometimes when on the post and looking back and forth.

i found the dangler too flappy

i use a Bauer N8 Nectech rn

Archived