Vaughn Split Outer Roll + PVE Graphic

dstew29

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Max27 said:

that was really anti climactic to see that. for someone who likes gear w as little white as possible im suprised you like these

HAHA... Maybe I can help you understand me more...

I like clean basic designs. I think many of the graphics these days are getting too busy ( that also means I am probably getting old?).

My issue with all white is that when every goalie wears it, the league gets too bland and it waters down the beauty of gear. That doesn't mean that a clean concept can't be made using mostly white or that the set above woudn't be better with the red subbed for white. I loved my 1S set with just the red logos.

My point in posting that pic is that the split roll can we cool when it's not overdone.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

HAHA... Maybe I can help you understand me more...

I like clean basic designs. I think many of the graphics these days are getting too busy ( that also means I am probably getting old?).

My issue with all white is that when every goalie wears it, the league gets too bland and it waters down the beauty of gear. That doesn't mean that a clean concept can't be made using mostly white or that the set above woudn't be better with the red subbed for white. I loved my 1S set with just the red logos.

My point in posting that pic is that the split roll can we cool when it's not overdone.

ahh gotcha. i love clean designs like that too, i was a big fan of just the red logos on your 1s too, and a big fan of just colored logos all around

1045184914.jpg.0.jpg

cut.jpg

download (1).jpeg

6 minutes ago, Max27 said:

ahh gotcha. i love clean designs like that too, i was a big fan of just the red logos on your 1s too, and a big fan of just colored logos all around

1045184914.jpg.0.jpg

cut.jpg

download (1).jpeg

See... This post is why I am so anti white. If Price was the only guy with that look, I'd love it. But when too many guys have it, it gets too vanilla.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/14/2019 at 3:21 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I already did this in 2013 minus the fake straps and quick slide.  These came out really nice but I think DoubleG did a better job than Vaughn did with copying Vaughn's retro font.

Example of them using a font versus the original camera-ready art for the logo. Looks like something a local print shoppe would have approximated rather than a reproduction. They should’ve asked me how to get it right; my retro Vaughn looks better because it actually IS the artwork. My humble software did a decent job:

A1659047-5BBC-48FF-BFE8-6C234113C8C8.jpeg

CA8CEE15-9DAE-4116-AB38-F978326D902F.jpeg

On 7/21/2019 at 1:34 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Example of them using a font versus the original camera-ready art for the logo. Looks like something a local print shoppe would have approximated rather than a reproduction. They should’ve asked me how to get it right; my retro Vaughn looks better because it actually IS the artwork. My humble software did a decent job:

What does this mean?

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

What does this mean?

Essentially, the Vaughn logo was possibly created by a graphic artist with it's own unique font made specifically for that project, as that happened a lot. The entire alphabet was not made, literally just the letters needed to make the logo, though some artists did make the entire alphabet if the font were going to be used for other things than just the logo. That was how things were done. Most likely since the old camera-ready art never went into the digital age and the old screens to print those logos are long-gone or unusable, so they just used a digital font closest to the original logo font. Close, but not quite right. The other explanation can be that the original font used for the Vaughn logo was a common print font but was replaced by an updated font. Some fonts when digitised did not translate with the subtle elements and nobody bothered to correct the missing elements.  I would hope that if Vaughn were serious about putting their old logo onto pads and such that they would do it right. But then again- they insist on using a Cooper GM-12 hole pattern for a “retro” Vaughn blocker, even though they copied John Brown using a smooth-faced blocker as their OG blocker “graphic” or lack there-of. 

One of my customers is a graphic arts professor and explained this to me when I was trying to get my Cooper/Pooper logos done. The Cooper/Pooper project has been a pipe dream for a long time as I was going to have a former employee of the old Christian hockey stick factory build me wooden goalie sticks that I was going to tag as Cooper, then it was explained to me that the original Cooper logo was not a font. Then the guy stopped returning everyone’s emails so that dream ended. Of course Pooper was for something completely different before becoming my lifestyle/awareness brand. @parabele actually made the Pooper logo for me. My professionally-sourced heat transfer logos are actually a font approximated to the Pooper logo font. Close, but no cigar; however, the difference is MUCH more subtle than with the new-old vs. old Vaughn logos. 

The free software that came with my Cricut is very sophisticated in that I can photograph a graphic element and cut out the extras and turn it into a simple vector file. I even was able to turn a picture of Johnny Bower into a cool silhouette. 

Probably more than you wanted to read about this, but when a graphic arts professor explained it to me, it all makes sense why. It was two hours of listening to her about graphic arts; thankfully she was interesting whilst explaining!

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

OK so I still don't know what you mean by using a font instead of camera ready art.  What is camera ready art?

Camera ready art is something done for the express purpose of printing. The original logo was something made as the logo. In the case of the letters on the Vaughn “retro” logo, it looks literally just random letters used to spell a word (name in this case), but it wasn’t a logo, so to speak. That also could be contributing to why it looks off. The original artist may have done things to style the letters when creating the logo. A slight stretch, change the offset, angles, spacing, etc. etc., where it just doesn’t look like they spelled a word. 

• 1 month later...

It's about damn time.  Vaughan stubbornness to allow customers to use old graphics always had me scratching my head.  

While I still think the Iceberg and Pulse are their best offerings... The V2 needs to make a comeback.  Love seeing Quick going back to it.

Truth be told I never liked the "tribal" years of Vaughn

Archived