New to me John Brown Russian Spec -- heart guard?

So, I bought a used John Brown Russian Spec.  I'll wear it a few times before I make any decisions, but i'm thinking of cutting off the heart guard to reduce weight.  I play relatively low level beer league, so the Russian Spec is already way more than I need, but the thing is pretty heavy and there's not a lot of padding on the heart guard so I worry about big rebounds (again, i will play with it first).  Has anyone else done that?  What do you think?

I'd be the one to keep it "just because", but I'm sure you would still have a decent amount of protection underneath. I would say if you personally decide to get rid of the heart guard, keep the elastic tabs intact so you can sew it back on if you decide to do so. 

But I don't think the heart guard would weigh that much, so may as well leave it on? That is what I would do.

12 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

I'd be the one to keep it "just because", but I'm sure you would still have a decent amount of protection underneath. I would say if you personally decide to get rid of the heart guard, keep the elastic tabs intact so you can sew it back on if you decide to do so. 

But I don't think the heart guard would weigh that much, so may as well leave it on? That is what I would do.

I agree.  There isn't a lot to it.  It is pretty thin and not heavy at all.  You're not gonna notice the weight you save by removing it.

So I took this on the ice last night.  I agree, the heart guard wouldn't reduce the weight much, but man is this one heavy chesty.  I have no doubt i won't feel anything and I can touch my nose but the arms are so built up that they don't allow a whole lot of flexion.

that said, once I started playing I barely notice that.  It didn't handcuff me in any way.  i suspect the rate limiting aspect is the weight and I'm unlikely to wear it in Spring or Summer.

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I think those Russian Spec units are way overkill.  I've been wearing a Brown chest pad for almost a decade and have never had a problem.  I'm sure you'd enjoy a stock spec chest pad much more than that Russian spec.

I agree.  Pretty much ALL modern chest pads are overkill... I wear a Brown JB 553 and its is MORE than enough protection, and I play against guys who are recent pros and many ex major Junior players with no issues at all.

Archived