Switching stick curve

Max27

Currently in a Quick (mid) curve in my warrior swagger but want something for better passing to teammates, and just better puckhandling overall, its something i have wanted to improve at in my game. anyone know what curve i should look for? Saw the toe curve (Holtby) was designed for strong passes, but ive heard the price curve is really good for what i want also

What areas are you wanting to work on in your puckhandling?   A different curve may help you get a little extra loft on clearing passes or something along those lines but it's not going to be a miracle cure for any major issues like lack of accuracy or strength on your passes.

With that said, I regard my ability to play the puck as a major part of my game and over the years I've settled on the Bauer P31/Warrior Bishop curve as the best for my personal style.  The Quick curve is better an accurately tipping shots into/over the glass so if that's a big part of your game be prepared for an adjustment.   The Warrior Mrazek curve might be a good middle ground between the two.  

5 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

What areas are you wanting to work on in your puckhandling?   A different curve may help you get a little extra loft on clearing passes or something along those lines but it's not going to be a miracle cure for any major issues like lack of accuracy or strength on your passes.

With that said, I regard my ability to play the puck as a major part of my game and over the years I've settled on the Bauer P31/Warrior Bishop curve as the best for my personal style.  The Quick curve is better an accurately tipping shots into/over the glass so if that's a big part of your game be prepared for an adjustment.   The Warrior Mrazek curve might be a good middle ground between the two.  

im trying to work on passing. had a couple passes last game and they went horrible lol

and yeah i got the quick curve bc i wanted to have it flat for 5 hole and what not but ive found i havent really needed to stop 5 hole shots

Honestly, practicing is the only way to get better and "solve the problem."  But, having the proper curve for your style certainly helps.

I consider myself a pretty good passer and stickhandler with the puck in most high pressure situations that come up from roaming out of the crease.

The way I got good was by screwing up ( a lot) at my weekly pick-up game I play.  I think getting good at playing the puck involves learning to not be afraid of doing so and building confidence.  For me, that's way more important than techniques and curves.

If you can get on the ice for pick-up games or open skates or stick-and-puck sessions, do it and take lots of risks and screw up.  That's how you get good.

34 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Honestly, practicing is the only way to get better and "solve the problem."  But, having the proper curve for your style certainly helps.

I consider myself a pretty good passer and stickhandler with the puck in most high pressure situations that come up from roaming out of the crease.

The way I got good was by screwing up ( a lot) at my weekly pick-up game I play.  I think getting good at playing the puck involves learning to not be afraid of doing so and building confidence.  For me, that's way more important than techniques and curves.

If you can get on the ice for pick-up games or open skates or stick-and-puck sessions, do it and take lots of risks and screw up.  That's how you get good.

yeah i agree, i do work on it i just find i dont get much leverage or control w the curve i use

3 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yeah i agree, i do work on it i just find i dont get much leverage or control w the curve i use

Another reason for an all-brand gear demo day at a rink for us regulars on this site.   Let's do it.  Who's paying? 

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Another reason for an all-brand gear demo day at a rink for us regulars on this site.   Let's do it.  Who's paying? 

haha thatd be awesome

1 hour ago, old but slow said:

Take a few minutes during warmups or practices and pass with a team mate or your goalie partner. shouldn't matter what curve you're using for now but as you become more proficient it'll be easier to determine the curve you want/need.

Different curves won't fix bad technique

yeah true, like i mentioned earlier i find the curve doesnt allow me to really stick handle well bc it is so flat

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

yeah true, like i mentioned earlier i find the curve doesnt allow me to really stick handle well bc it is so flat

so is it the gloves fault when you don't make the save? or the pads fault you can't butterfly well or maybe the blockers fault you dropped your stick.

sorry, I'm old and learned to play before any sticks had curve, I stand by my comment, learn to handle and pass the puck with what you have and you will be better.

Altering blade curves is not the remedy, here. Save your dough for now, and practice doing something well with the stick you have. Accomplish anything, be it a pass, forehand, backhand, or simply stick handling back-and-forth from fore- to backhand, and then do it again, and again, and again until it is a thoughtless, natural movement. Over the years I have known and played against goalies that are superior to me in terms of puck-stopping ability, but are atrocious at puck handling, passing and shooting. I have spent an inordinate amount of time learning how to puck handle as a goalie. Practice fixes most things. 

9 hours ago, old but slow said:

so is it the gloves fault when you don't make the save? or the pads fault you can't butterfly well or maybe the blockers fault you dropped your stick.

sorry, I'm old and learned to play before any sticks had curve, I stand by my comment, learn to handle and pass the puck with what you have and you will be better.

I agree that it sounds like the OP is looking for a "magic bullet" solution to a problem that really just requires some practice time.  However, I do empathize with him when he mentions feeling like he's losing velocity/accuracy when passing with a Quick pattern.   I tried it once (only stick in the rink pro shop and I needed a backup) and went right back to my P31 because I kept having shots trickle weakly off the toe.  I'm sure I could have adapted to it with time, but why bother when I had something that worked better?  The more closed toe of the P31 helps me keep things a little more accurate and tidy.

Max,   you've gotten some great advice from lots of people that practice makes perfect.   Learning to be a good stickhandler is difficult because very few coaches set aside time during practice for you to work on it.  That means it's up to you to FIND time.   If you have downtime, shoot pucks at the boards.   I usually picked about a 1' wide spot and tried to hit it from between the hash marks.  Once I could do that well I backed up to inside the far circle, behind the faceoff dot, etc...   Velocity will come with time and practice.  So will being able to loft the puck.  Worry most about accuracy for now and then worry about adding speed and/or loft to your passes.  If you have an opportunity to play around off the ice (basement, etc...) spend time shooting there.  Wear your gloves when you do.  If you want to try a new curve as you embark on this journey, go for it!  Playing around with new gear is fun.  Just make sure you understand why you're making the change.

Good luck!

11 hours ago, old but slow said:

True. I’ve even used Hiller’s stick curve before, have you seen that thing?

i think his point is to find a curve that fits with his playing style. would you want to get something you know is easier to use with your playing style especially in today’s game? 

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

True. I’ve even used Hiller’s stick curve before, have you seen that thing?

i think his point is to find a curve that fits with his playing style. would you want to get something you know is easier to use with your playing style especially in today’s game? 

I'm all for getting equipment to fit your playing style. I'm also for figuring out what your needs and wants are before getting said gear.

From what i've read, the OP is looking for a curve to help improve passing and puck handling in general, sorry there is not a cure all curve for this. OP mentions Price and Holtby curves, OP is neither Price nor Holtby and seeing as we don't know what the struggles are, we cannot make appropriate recommendations. If the OP's issue is in fact hand position, stick flex, or technique of some sort, a new curve will do very little to aid his game. Add to this the knowledge that the OP has been playing hockey for less than 3 years, net less than 2 and I will stand by my statements, becoming better with what you have will make it easier to know what you want and better still once you get it. 

IF YOU CAN DODGE A WRENCH, YOU CAN DODGE A BALL!!!

I’ve been playing for twenty years and have tried plenty of different sticks. I consider myself (for beer league purposes) an above average puck handler and can tag the crossbar from the blue line. I have had former low level pros tell me passes coming from me were spicier than they were from goalies they played with. 

That being said, I have never tried a stick pattern that made me shoot or pass harder. That all comes from technique, core strength, and learning to flex the stick to generate power for you. 

18 hours ago, old but slow said:

no im not blaming the stick, im saying the curve on the stick isnt what i find is best for me haha obviously practice helps and ive been practicing it just seems the curve isnt for what i want

18 hours ago, dualshowman said:

Altering blade curves is not the remedy, here. Save your dough for now, and practice doing something well with the stick you have. Accomplish anything, be it a pass, forehand, backhand, or simply stick handling back-and-forth from fore- to backhand, and then do it again, and again, and again until it is a thoughtless, natural movement. Over the years I have known and played against goalies that are superior to me in terms of puck-stopping ability, but are atrocious at puck handling, passing and shooting. I have spent an inordinate amount of time learning how to puck handle as a goalie. Practice fixes most things. 

yea ive been doing that (practice)

7 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I agree that it sounds like the OP is looking for a "magic bullet" solution to a problem that really just requires some practice time.  However, I do empathize with him when he mentions feeling like he's losing velocity/accuracy when passing with a Quick pattern.   I tried it once (only stick in the rink pro shop and I needed a backup) and went right back to my P31 because I kept having shots trickle weakly off the toe.  I'm sure I could have adapted to it with time, but why bother when I had something that worked better?  The more closed toe of the P31 helps me keep things a little more accurate and tidy.

Max,   you've gotten some great advice from lots of people that practice makes perfect.   Learning to be a good stickhandler is difficult because very few coaches set aside time during practice for you to work on it.  That means it's up to you to FIND time.   If you have downtime, shoot pucks at the boards.   I usually picked about a 1' wide spot and tried to hit it from between the hash marks.  Once I could do that well I backed up to inside the far circle, behind the faceoff dot, etc...   Velocity will come with time and practice.  So will being able to loft the puck.  Worry most about accuracy for now and then worry about adding speed and/or loft to your passes.  If you have an opportunity to play around off the ice (basement, etc...) spend time shooting there.  Wear your gloves when you do.  If you want to try a new curve as you embark on this journey, go for it!  Playing around with new gear is fun.  Just make sure you understand why you're making the change.

Good luck!

ive been trying to get better, just find the curve isnt really designed for what i want. its like wearing flat faced pads and expecting soft rebounds, using a curve meant for redirections and such to make adequate passes and clear pucks well

6 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

yeah this is exactly what i mean

5 hours ago, old but slow said:

I'm all for getting equipment to fit your playing style. I'm also for figuring out what your needs and wants are before getting said gear.

From what i've read, the OP is looking for a curve to help improve passing and puck handling in general, sorry there is not a cure all curve for this. OP mentions Price and Holtby curves, OP is neither Price nor Holtby and seeing as we don't know what the struggles are, we cannot make appropriate recommendations. If the OP's issue is in fact hand position, stick flex, or technique of some sort, a new curve will do very little to aid his game. Add to this the knowledge that the OP has been playing hockey for less than 3 years, net less than 2 and I will stand by my statements, becoming better with what you have will make it easier to know what you want and better still once you get it. 

IF YOU CAN DODGE A WRENCH, YOU CAN DODGE A BALL!!!

the struggles i am finding is passing (what the holtby curve is designed for) and the price curve ive heard is great for stick handling and shooting and what not

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I’ve been playing for twenty years and have tried plenty of different sticks. I consider myself (for beer league purposes) an above average puck handler and can tag the crossbar from the blue line. I have had former low level pros tell me passes coming from me were spicier than they were from goalies they played with. 

That being said, I have never tried a stick pattern that made me shoot or pass harder. That all comes from technique, core strength, and learning to flex the stick to generate power for you. 

yeah obviously its more skill of the goalie, ive heard the price curve is great for puck handling and the retail Holtby curve is designed for passing

33 minutes ago, DL42 said:

rocker blade shape is where its at.  it'll change ur game.

wdym lol 

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

wdym

majority of pros use rocker blades where the contact point is in the middle of the blade. when using the correct movement of an arc , it allows greater mobility of the stick in stance and bfly.  flat blades like p31 are clunky and leave poor rebounds when in contact with ice shoot along the ice.  when shooting allowing more mobility of shoooting any where on the blade at any degree making the lie irrelevant. 

20 minutes ago, DL42 said:

majority of pros use rocker blades where the contact point is in the middle of the blade. when using the correct movement of an arc , it allows greater mobility of the stick in stance and bfly.  flat blades like p31 are clunky and leave poor rebounds when in contact with ice shoot along the ice.  when shooting allowing more mobility of shoooting any where on the blade at any degree making the lie irrelevant. 

what curve would that be? like a p34?

Ok @Max27, help us help you. What aspect of passing is causing you issues? Basic pass from behind net to corner? Forehand or backhand? Cross zone pass under pressure? Quick up pass from below dots to blue line or out of zone? Clearing pass high off glass to neutral zone? Wrap around from behind net? Lots of different types of passes to make.

In post #3 you say you had a few passes go horrible, horrible how? Were they all the same type of pass; distance, direction, intention?  Was the puck moving towards or did you control it first with time and space to make the intended pass? What was the intended pass?

Do you use an overhand or underhand grip for passing? Do you use the whole blade from heel to toe or only part of it and which part?

You mention that the Holtby curve is better for passing and the Price is better for shooting. Honestly, what goalie needs a curve to shoot with?  Marketing poppycock!!  Every stick curve is designed to do it all if you know what you're doing. 

1 hour ago, old but slow said:

Ok @Max27, help us help you. What aspect of passing is causing you issues? Basic pass from behind net to corner? Forehand or backhand? Cross zone pass under pressure? Quick up pass from below dots to blue line or out of zone? Clearing pass high off glass to neutral zone? Wrap around from behind net? Lots of different types of passes to make.

In post #3 you say you had a few passes go horrible, horrible how? Were they all the same type of pass; distance, direction, intention?  Was the puck moving towards or did you control it first with time and space to make the intended pass? What was the intended pass?

Do you use an overhand or underhand grip for passing? Do you use the whole blade from heel to toe or only part of it and which part?

You mention that the Holtby curve is better for passing and the Price is better for shooting. Honestly, what goalie needs a curve to shoot with?  Marketing poppycock!!  Every stick curve is designed to do it all if you know what you're doing. 

Precisely!  I've tried many different curves over the years.  I suck at playing the puck no matter which one I use hahaha.

Archived