Vaughn PVE Pro Carbon Set: First Impressions

wox33

Figured I would throw together an initial impressions of these before putting together a full review at some point in the future. Short background: coming from a full set of Vapor 1X with medium pads that I used for roughly 6 mos and Eflex 2 before that.

Leg Pads

They are 34+2 and definitely fit taller than the Bauers did. I would put the knee placement and total height of these on par with CCM. I would say my knee actually hits a little lower than I'm used to. They have a really nice flex in the boot which is good since the boot is a good bit longer than anything I've played in recently. The rest of the pad is fairly stiff out of the box. If you wanted to flex these up top you could but since I really only want them to flex at the break I didn't try to force them down at all. 

IMG_0265.jpg.3160cf393c9fba092889a01e40d1708b.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg.a072947b1c8e7ecd0642a9d880e41bb9.jpg

Strapping is great. It's not quite as simple as the Vapors but it's close and I think I'll like the RRC strap a lot. It will be interesting to see how it works on ice but I think it will allow me to go back to strapping the knee down to the calf instead of straight across. For now I have the boot strap on since I like the partial elastic and that it can be set up to go across the back of the skate. Stock toe tie is pretty straight forward with 4 holes to choose from. I put on a set of Pro Laces so we'll see how those go as well.

IMG_0267.jpg.3c97f3610a199cc7610e4dd673c6a8fd.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg.710421e9bb08d8aec010f53d75b60fa3.jpg

I don't have a scale but just by holding them they don't seem a whole lot heavier than the Vapors. They aren't as streamlined and sleek as the Bauers by any stretch of the imagination but on the ice I don't think I will notice that much of a difference.

Glove

I haven't seen the actual break angle for this one advertised anywhere but I know for sure it's not a 60 degree. I would say it feels similar to the 5500 I had years ago but it's not exactly the same. I feel like you really have to get your hand deep into this glove in order to close it. The glove is lighter than Vapor glove but it doesn't feel like it'll be as protective but since I haven't used it on the ice I can't say for sure yet. It does have both pinky and thumb loops which helps keep the hand where you want it along with the shorter cuff I didn't notice any C&A interference. Will probably re-lace with skate lace before I use it the first time.

IMG_0262.jpg.8847d8e0a5e85996218d47ec7cfce864.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg.7a5c0a24e4a9c73ff2fb7c18ed36c423.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg.1aca75ff9123e004076e3d0bb34285a4.jpg

Blocker

If you've ever used a Velocity blocker then you know how this one feels. Very comfy on the hand with good balance. Finger and sidewall protection seem good and wont interfere with the stick.

IMG_0259.jpg.b3b768b857792309c5a5938f2c0e30a3.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg.2aa1d68e52e085040a5851c0294bf360.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg.cc61b2f65c1d50cf7f9c250a90f3adcd.jpg

Should get to use them a few times here in the next week and will be able to update as well as put together a more long term review. Let me know if you have any questions about them or want to see any other pictures.

So, using everything twice a week for a little over a month I feel comfortable making some updates.

Leg Pads - After taking about 5-6 skates to get used to these have been a good change for me from the Vapors. I just feel so much more comfortable with a really soft boot. I removed the boot strap for my last 2 skates and the pads don't play any differently without it so I think I'm going to stick without it. They slide well enough but I did notice during my 90 min skate that it does get tough to slide late while my Vapors would still slide about the same as when the ice was fresh. Getting used to the softer rebounds has also been an adjustment and I do think I will try the SLR sometime in the future as I like the harder rebounds and I think those will give me a bit more pop than these do. Overall these pads are pretty good, not perfect but if you like a softer pad with modern strapping these are a good choice.

Blocker - Not much to say different from my initial thoughts. It's very light and balanced and I haven't felt any shots through it. I really like the finger protection and sidewall and have never had any issues with Velocity style blockers.

Glove - Don't like it. I don't know if it's the break or what but I just can't get used to this thing. I usually don't have an issue adjusting after a handful of skates but I really can't get this glove to work. I feel like I am fighting off every shot that comes to it and it never feels natural when the puck hits the pocket. The protection on it has been good as I have yet to feel any stingers and I've taken plenty of shots that didn't hit the pocket. Oddly enough I think this glove has been the easiest for shooting though as I can easily get a comfortable grip on the stick and can go high glass with ease so that has been nice. But unfortunately I am back on the hunt for a 590 break as that's what I feel most comfortable in or I also saw a decent set of Factory Mad gloves on Sideline that I may give a go to. I really wanted to like this glove as I have enjoyed Vaughn gloves in the past and I really like the way this one looks but I hate using my glove as a second blocker as opposed to actually catching with it.

Overall I like the set as a whole and think it is a good choice for someone who want's a good mix of old and new style. Everything is within the ballpark of the lightest stuff out there and I never felt like I was being weighed down at any point in a game. For me personally I'd like some harder rebounds off everything as well as a different glove break but that's my preference and this glove could be perfect for everyone else.

I have a pro return PVE set with XF gloves and absolutely love the way they feel and perform.  They have an SLR core, but I can't really tell the difference compared to a stock set I demo'd.  I love how mobile I am in Vaughn pads.  I also think they are a bit underrated these days as compared to more"modern" pads that I own(G4 Pros, 2X pro return, Varlamov EF3 pro return) they slide incredibly well.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by these.

Yeah fresh out of the box they had far more rigidity than I expected. I've only had them on the ice once at this point and so far I like them. There is still a bit of adjustment that I need to do but I think I will enjoy them long term. They are way taller at 34+2 than my medium 1X and I'm thinking I could've gotten away with 33s, otherwise the thighrise is thicker than the Vapors so that's the other thing I need to get used to. I am switching the bootstrap to go through the heel instead of behind the skate to see if that pulls things down a bit. Gloves felt very natural out there and I could stick handle with less effort than in the Vapors but it was popout city with the glove but I would say I just still need to adjust to the different angle.

• 3 weeks later...

Had these pads for about a year and absolutely loved them, but I found them to still break down in typical Vaughn fashion. Not a bad thing particularly, they just soften up a lot. 

Let me know if the heat transfer logos start to fall off. I had all of the PVE logos fall off (not on the glove), and the Vaughn was starting to peel as well. I'm sure a typical iron would fix it but they need a new way to do logos IMO.

44 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Had these pads for about a year and absolutely loved them, but I found them to still break down in typical Vaughn fashion. Not a bad thing particularly, they just soften up a lot. 

Let me know if the heat transfer logos start to fall off. I had all of the PVE logos fall off (not on the glove), and the Vaughn was starting to peel as well. I'm sure a typical iron would fix it but they need a new way to do logos IMO.

Yeah, I've used them about 5 times now and they are already noticeably softer than new. That is what I was going for but I do fear that they may break down a bit too much in the long run but we'll see.

They really just need to take it easy on the logos to be honest. I don't understand why Vaughn thinks 6+ logos on each piece is needed. As of right now just the pro spec ones on the top of the outer roll seem to be coming off.

That sucks those logos are coming off on you guys.

I always order Pro Logos on my custom gear so I don't have to deal with that possibility.

Vaughn definitely puts a lot of marketing on their gear; the difference from stock to custom gear in logos is quite substantial.

I've always seen it as yet another indication of how insecure they look in terms of their marketing/public image.

22 hours ago, seagoal said:

That sucks those logos are coming off on you guys.

I always order Pro Logos on my custom gear so I don't have to deal with that possibility.

Vaughn definitely puts a lot of marketing on their gear; the difference from stock to custom gear in logos is quite substantial.

I've always seen it as yet another indication of how insecure they look in terms of their marketing/public image.

When you say marketing their gear, do you mean how much effort they put into servicing the gear that goes on TV compared to the retail model?

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

When you say marketing their gear, do you mean how much effort they put into servicing the gear that goes on TV compared to the retail model?

I mean the amount of stock retail logos and branding like "pro spec construction" compared to the minimal Pro Logos on TV or on my custom gear.

• 2 weeks later...

So, using everything twice a week for a little over a month I feel comfortable making some updates.

Leg Pads - After taking about 5-6 skates to get used to these have been a good change for me from the Vapors. I just feel so much more comfortable with a really soft boot. I removed the boot strap for my last 2 skates and the pads don't play any differently without it so I think I'm going to stick without it. They slide well enough but I did notice during my 90 min skate that it does get tough to slide late while my Vapors would still slide about the same as when the ice was fresh. Getting used to the softer rebounds has also been an adjustment and I do think I will try the SLR sometime in the future as I like the harder rebounds and I think those will give me a bit more pop than these do. Overall these pads are pretty good, not perfect but if you like a softer pad with modern strapping these are a good choice.

Blocker - Not much to say different from my initial thoughts. It's very light and balanced and I haven't felt any shots through it. I really like the finger protection and sidewall and have never had any issues with Velocity style blockers.

Glove - Don't like it. I don't know if it's the break or what but I just can't get used to this thing. I usually don't have an issue adjusting after a handful of skates but I really can't get this glove to work. I feel like I am fighting off every shot that comes to it and it never feels natural when the puck hits the pocket. The protection on it has been good as I have yet to feel any stingers and I've taken plenty of shots that didn't hit the pocket. Oddly enough I think this glove has been the easiest for shooting though as I can easily get a comfortable grip on the stick and can go high glass with ease so that has been nice. But unfortunately I am back on the hunt for a 590 break as that's what I feel most comfortable in or I also saw a decent set of Factory Mad gloves on Sideline that I may give a go to. I really wanted to like this glove as I have enjoyed Vaughn gloves in the past and I really like the way this one looks but I hate using my glove as a second blocker as opposed to actually catching with it.

Overall I like the set as a whole and think it is a good choice for someone who want's a good mix of old and new style. Everything is within the ballpark of the lightest stuff out there and I never felt like I was being weighed down at any point in a game. For me personally I'd like some harder rebounds off everything as well as a different glove break but that's my preference and this glove could be perfect for everyone else.

2 hours ago, wox33 said:

A lot of people didn't like this glove and you'll find most pro return sets, at least the ones I've seen and I've been looking, used the XF or Ventus glove.  I found the XF to have much better closure than the V-Elite glove I demo'd.  I have a set of FM gloves on Sidelineswap.  Let me know if your interested.

7 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

A lot of people didn't like this glove and you'll find most pro return sets, at least the ones I've seen and I've been looking, used the XF or Ventus glove.  I found the XF to have much better closure than the V-Elite glove I demo'd.  I have a set of FM gloves on Sidelineswap.  Let me know if your interested.

Yeah I had the VE8 one piece glove in my cart when I was ordering then switched to the PVE at the last second. I really wish I wouldn't have at this point. Are yours the ones with the maroon and black claw scratch design?

1 minute ago, wox33 said:

Yeah I had the VE8 one piece glove in my cart when I was ordering then switched to the PVE at the last second. I really wish I wouldn't have at this point. Are yours the ones with the maroon and black claw scratch design?

yup, thats them.

What are you guys discussing?  Pics or it never happened.  Why am I not connecting what FM stands for?

6 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Well now that I know whose they are I can't send a lowball offer lol. My guess is your wanting to keep the set together?

7 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Well now that I know whose they are I can't send a lowball offer lol. My guess is your wanting to keep the set together?

Well keep in mind that Sidelineswap charges fees, so asking price always has to be a bit higher.  I definitely want to sell as a set.  I want to make an offer, PM me here and we can discuss, but has to be for the set.  They are practically brand new, only been on the ice 2 or 3 times.

Just now, jayluv54 said:

Well keep in mind that Sidelineswap charges fees, so asking price always has to be a bit higher.  I definitely want to sell as a set.  I want to make an offer, PM me here and we can discuss, but has to be for the set.  They are practically brand new, only been on the ice 2 or 3 times.

Figured as much and I also wouldn't want to break up a set when selling since selling a blocker on its own is not enjoyable. I'll keep it in mind and message you on here if I decided to go that way as there are a couple CCM gloves on there that I am also looking at that would work.

• 1 month later...

Finally gave up on the glove and picked up a slightly used CCM 590 break. The glove itself is fine and has good protection as I never felt a shot through it but the break on it just was never comfortable to me. Also picked up a CCM premier blocker on the cheap from goaliemonkey to go with it so if anyone need some slightly used Vaughn gloves they are currently for sale. 

Pads on the other hand have been great and seem to get better every time I use them. 

Archived