R GT/2

TheGoalNet

On 3/2/2019 at 11:38 AM, kippewit said:

So irritating that we don't have any try-out days, or are spoiled with hockey shops over here. Warrior doesn't even get sold in Belgium. The only option I have to try the new glove is order it online somewhere... I'm super interested in how I would like this glove. I have a G3 now with a 60 degree liner and I wonder how it compares to the new GT2.

I understand what you mean.  Always great when you can try something on first!  

Being that you like the G3 60-Degree I can somewhat generalize that you prefer pinching your thumb to your index finger for closure.  This type of feeling will be enhanced with the new forward thumb positioning on GT2.  Lastly, the GT2 does not have a removable liner but you can custom order it with 60-Degree internal on Custom.

Hope this information helps!

Got to look at the gt2s this past weekend. The new glove feels MUCH better and beefier. Closes great and feels very similar to a CCM 60 degree. The chesty I think has the biggest change. Integrated suspender loops on the shoulder floaters, vertical protection strips where the body meets side protection, and the new arms are waaay beefier and tougher. Floaters and bicep pads are much thicker. The unit is a tad heavier but the protection is way better on an already robust unit. It'll be my next one.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

Got to look at the gt2s this past weekend. The new glove feels MUCH better and beefier. Closes great and feels very similar to a CCM 60 degree

@ruckus007, is a CCM 60 degree considered the 600 break?  I know this topic goes on and on, but it's never clear to me.  I feel the numbers 60, 75, 90 should correspond to the degree of break  (low to high) like 600, 590, 580, but all the threads I read jump around and it's never 100% clear.  If the new Warrior glove has a thumb angle and break like a CCM 600, I'd be interested in checking it out as well.

4 minutes ago, MikeTheGoalie said:

@ruckus007, is a CCM 60 degree considered the 600 break?  I know this topic goes on and on, but it's never clear to me.  I feel the numbers 60, 75, 90 should correspond to the degree of break  (low to high) like 600, 590, 580, but all the threads I read jump around and it's never 100% clear.  If the new Warrior glove has a thumb angle and break like a CCM 600, I'd be interested in checking it out as well.

The breaks correspond with line releases. 

CCM 580 is a 90 degree break. The last glove this was on as a stock option was the Koho 580. 

CCM 590 is a 60 degree break. Same thing as above but on the 590. 

CCM 600 is 75 degree. They probably just followed the designation. If they come out with another break after this it may be the 610

• Thanks 1

Got to look at the glove blocker and pads first hand as well on the weekend. Couple of things to note, the pads felt good and you can really tell that the upper portion is much stiffer now with the addition of the Hypercomp. I am currently in a senior pair of GT's since release and they have been holding up surprisingly well. The thigh rises have become a little soft but overall no complaints. Other than that the pads looked good and will be going that route.

Ive only used the Pro gloves starting off with a G3 then moving to the GT a few months ago. I prefer the non removable liner in the GT but found the GT2 much different feeling. I prop my current GT open after each use and is on par with a frying pan which is how I like it. The GT2 I tried on did not appear to be able to open as wide but I am sure it was just because it was new and would take a little "persuading". The angle is definitely different feeling from the current GT and the G4 but I would get used to it.

As for the blocker, I'm currently in a Pro G3 and didnt notice much difference there besides the GT2 feeling a little snugger on the hand.

My only gripe with the Warrior pads is the sizing. I've always been in a 36 Vaughn/35 CCM and the issue I have with the Warrior is that the knee landing definitely runs lower than other brands. I'm usually at the very top of the knee landing and have fallen off numerous times despite trying every strapping combo. The best bet was to run the boot strap through the Lundy loop on my skates however I just dont like the feel and prefer through the bottom of the skate. I imagine this is due to the break of the pads and how the knee landings are angled downwards. This will force me to go custom order on the next set. I am currently in a 36+1.5 and with the overall height being perfect, I will need to order a 36.5 +1 to get that knee landing a bit higher.

I had the same issue with landing on my G2's. 35+1.5 overall height was perfect, but even running bungee-style toe straps and Lundy loop I was still landing on the top of the block.

I ordered G4's in 36+0.5 and they're perfect. Exact height as my G2's, but I land center of the knee block every time.

Edited by motowngoalie

1 hour ago, Mission said:

Got to look at the glove blocker and pads first hand as well on the weekend. Couple of things to note, the pads felt good and you can really tell that the upper portion is much stiffer now with the addition of the Hypercomp. I am currently in a senior pair of GT's since release and they have been holding up surprisingly well. The thigh rises have become a little soft but overall no complaints. Other than that the pads looked good and will be going that route.

Ive only used the Pro gloves starting off with a G3 then moving to the GT a few months ago. I prefer the non removable liner in the GT but found the GT2 much different feeling. I prop my current GT open after each use and is on par with a frying pan which is how I like it. The GT2 I tried on did not appear to be able to open as wide but I am sure it was just because it was new and would take a little "persuading". The angle is definitely different feeling from the current GT and the G4 but I would get used to it.

As for the blocker, I'm currently in a Pro G3 and didnt notice much difference there besides the GT2 feeling a little snugger on the hand.

My only gripe with the Warrior pads is the sizing. I've always been in a 36 Vaughn/35 CCM and the issue I have with the Warrior is that the knee landing definitely runs lower than other brands. I'm usually at the very top of the knee landing and have fallen off numerous times despite trying every strapping combo. The best bet was to run the boot strap through the Lundy loop on my skates however I just dont like the feel and prefer through the bottom of the skate. I imagine this is due to the break of the pads and how the knee landings are angled downwards. This will force me to go custom order on the next set. I am currently in a 36+1.5 and with the overall height being perfect, I will need to order a 36.5 +1 to get that knee landing a bit higher.

Ditch the boot strap.  It's become useless on modern pads.  I run no boot, pro laces and the knee sling down to the calf.  Zero rotation or knee landing issues 

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Ditch the boot strap.  It's become useless on modern pads.  I run no boot, pro laces and the knee sling down to the calf.  Zero rotation or knee landing issues 

To each his own but I prefer the boot strap. I wear my pads pretty snug too. Good thing with the Warrior is that they are the best rotating pad Ive ever had and Ive gone through lots of sets. No issues there.

Not wearing the boot strap will not help the height of the knee stacks or the pad though.If anything, not having boot straps would allow them to slide down further making my situation worse.

1 hour ago, Mission said:

To each his own but I prefer the boot strap. I wear my pads pretty snug too. Good thing with the Warrior is that they are the best rotating pad Ive ever had and Ive gone through lots of sets. No issues there.

Not wearing the boot strap will not help the height of the knee stacks or the pad though.If anything, not having boot straps would allow them to slide down further making my situation worse.

Slide down further?  Do your research... This will actually allow your pad to sit higher and "ride up" your leg in the butterfly.

This was tested by Western University during a study with CCM:

Screenshot_20190306-211728.thumb.png.772370d8f068d2fbcbbcd717ca8ce6d6.png

Like I said Ive tried all the strap combinations and prefer the boot strap. If I use the boot strap through the Lundy loop on my skate, this allows the pad to sit a bit higher and fixes my knees falling from the "top" of the knee landing however, I do not like how the pad "feels" on my leg when strapping them like this. My issue is that the pad does not fit correctly which is why I need to go custom sizing to get the knee landing higher.

14 hours ago, Mission said:

Leg Pad sizing can be confusing at times.  Also, as some other goalies have mentioned you can manipulate the sizing with incremental changes like how you position a heel strap.  Here is a blog we did on sizing a while back that clearly notes how we tackle sizing.  

The biggest take home message I have is that our sizing runs by 0.5" in the knee (see blog for visual).  If you are currently wearing 36" leg pads and want the knee stack to be 0.5" taller - You'd simply go to our 37" knee size.  -- This is not the case with every brand.  Some brands move their knee sizes by full 1.0" increments.  In our opinion, this results in missed opportunities for proper fit.  Going by 0.5" increments at the knee/shin gives goalies more options to dial in their fit.

https://warriorhockey.com/2017/06/12/ritual-g3-and-ritual-gt-sizing-guide/

7 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

Leg Pad sizing can be confusing at times.  Also, as some other goalies have mentioned you can manipulate the sizing with incremental changes like how you position a heel strap.  Here is a blog we did on sizing a while back that clearly notes how we tackle sizing.  

The biggest take home message I have is that our sizing runs by 0.5" in the knee (see blog for visual).  If you are currently wearing 36" leg pads and want the knee stack to be 0.5" taller - You'd simply go to our 37" knee size.  -- This is not the case with every brand.  Some brands move their knee sizes by full 1.0" increments.  In our opinion, this results in missed opportunities for proper fit.  Going by 0.5" increments at the knee/shin gives goalies more options to dial in their fit.

https://warriorhockey.com/2017/06/12/ritual-g3-and-ritual-gt-sizing-guide/

Thanks Kirk. I'm familiar with that blog. I will probably have a few questions for you or a rep prior to ordering the pads to make sure I get the sizing right. Seeing as I'm in a 36+1.5 and the overall height is perfect, I would need a 37+.05 to keep the overall height but bring the knee up a 1/2".

On 2/19/2019 at 7:32 PM, cwarnar said:

Loving the look of this chest protector.  I have the current GT Pro and completely love it.  Prefect blend of protection and mobility.

@Kirk3190 are there suspender straps on the floaters?

I am in the same boat as you! I'm waiting for my demo one as I wasn't a huge fan of the G4 arm.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, Mission said:

I feel wearing the boot strap actually helps with the opposite problem as my 35+1.5’s are about 0.5 too tall on the landing gear, but the boot strap maintains the boot flex I need to stay on the landing gear, loose lundy loop or no boot strap should actually help your problem.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to be grabbing custom GT2s now that they're offering weave... Thinking of moving back to the Classic graphic but with my same and simple, Black/White/Red color scheme...

image.png.cb156fe2e5437dbf6df60c088c1a31b1.png

This is of course pending the hours I will be spending playing with the GT2 graphic customizer that launches in 8 days!