Affordable Foam Goalie Stick review

MangoRhinehart

Hey all,

I picked up an affordable foam core goalie stick off facebook for science.

Here are some facts about them:

$55 a piece

Made in Canada by Talmolder

Foam core stick

Allegedly the same as a CCM eflex 3.9 in construction

27" paddle (they have other sizes)

Choice of color

I ordered them on Sunday and received them on Friday.

Previous sticks used:

Christian Diamond purchased from a local university. 

Sherwood 530 thibault curve.

Simmons 6k Ricardo curve.

Review:

I played my first game with them last night. I am a below average puck handler in general, but I felt I was able to play the puck much better and get more oomph on a pass than with my old wooden sticks. I still make poor decisions but at least I had more snap on passes. Received several shots to the paddle and no durability issues to report. I will contine to update this.

20181210_142309.jpg

20181210_142317.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a round-toe on order with these guys. I went through their Facebook page as well (look for AGSticks). Dmitrii is quick to respond to my questions (even on a Sunday!) and the whole ordering process was an email answering a couple questions. He responded with a quote. The pricing matched what he listed on the Facebook page. I'm close enough to do local pickup, so no shipping charges.

I'll use it for a couple skates and also message back with my thoughts. Hopefully I have a new stick supplier.

Update: Stick is in hand. I've got a couple ice times this weekend, and I'll be using this stick exclusively. I'll update again with my opinions on it.

Specs

I ordered a 25" round toe (CCM-style), black, with P31 curve (only option). No logos, names, or grips on my order.

Weight: ~870g

Length (peak of heel to end of shaft): ~57"

First Impressions

My experience with the CCM Extreme Flex e3.9 (on which this stick is based) is extremely limited, so I can only evaluate this on its own merits, rather than as a comparison.

The stick feels solid and light. I'm by no means a perfectionist, but if you are, I should point out there are some blemishes in the finishing. The multi-laminate shaft looks like it has a staple scar that didn't get wood filler (see photo). More important to me, many of the sticks I handled at their office had what appears to be a drip of epoxy at the toe (see photo). It's hard to tell, but I believe Dr.J's stick in the photos above also have the drip. It might not matter to you, though, and it's a simple enough fix with a chisel, which I'll be doing before taping.

Customer Service

I live close enough to the manufacturing facility that local pickup was an option. I arranged with Dmitrii to pick up my stick this afternoon, but as he was out of the office this week, there was some confusion picking up my order.

After a few minutes waiting in their showroom, a salesman walked me through their plant floor to where the sticks are inventoried in a separate building. From there, we tracked down my stick from the inventory shelf, and the salesman offered to deliver any future orders to my house since we actually live pretty close to one another.

Long way of saying, an order number or bill of sale would've helped my particular case of local pickup, but otherwise the customer service was excellent. Dmitrii answered all my questions quickly, especially his being out of office. My experience might've been an oddity, but it wouldn't prevent me from ordering again.

ags stick.png

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Im interested in giving these a try.  The P31 curve is a mid curve right?  Didnt they used to offer a heel/twist curve as well.  Ive been in a Belfour mid curve for years and want to stick to something similar.  Just want to confirm the curve.  I know there are pics but doesnt cant always tell.  Thanks

17 hours ago, SonnyWard said:

Yeah, I like Northstar sticks. Might want to check 'em out to compare anyway.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:16 AM, Scythe said:

Good link. I just ordered one... $64 including shipping 

1017171651.jpg

My Northstar sticks have proven to be tanks. I just retired my first of 3 due to cracked foam. I used the stick for one season but I was actively playing for four teams that season. They're also surprisingly light.

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, [+] Dr.J said:

Just received my order today! 26'" paddle and CCM P31 curve. 50$ CAD each and 70$ CAD shipping. Well balanced and seems to be well made. Will update once I get to use one on the ice.

unnamed.jpg

So, after getting into net for the first time with this stick at the beginning of October, inuring my ankle and not being able to get back into net until this past week, I finally have had enough experience with it to post my impressions. The stick is well made and as TJFromNB pointed out, you will need to chisel off the epoxy drip at the tip of the blade. I found it to be well balanced and light. The upper shaft is made from wood which I like better than foam cores with graphite upper shafts. I was able to get good loft on the puck when having to play it. All in all, an excellent and affordable option for rec hockey goaltending!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 11:41 AM, MangoRhinehart said:

Hey all,

I picked up an affordable foam core goalie stick off facebook for science.

Here are some facts about them:

$55 a piece

Made in Canada by Talmolder

Foam core stick

Allegedly the same as a CCM eflex 3.9 in construction

27" paddle (they have other sizes)

Choice of color

I ordered them on Sunday and received them on Friday.

Previous sticks used:

Christian Diamond purchased from a local university. 

Sherwood 530 thibault curve.

Simmons 6k Ricardo curve.

Review:

I played my first game with them last night. I am a below average puck handler in general, but I felt I was able to play the puck much better and get more oomph on a pass than with my old wooden sticks. I still make poor decisions but at least I had more snap on passes. Received several shots to the paddle and no durability issues to report. I will contine to update this.

20181210_142309.jpg

20181210_142317.jpg

Thanks for this tip!  

Archived