On 5/10/2018 at 12:49 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I agree Laces are due for an upgrade... CCM could try BOA again...

but I’m not sure these are the ticket? 

4A576DBF-E331-4F5A-8C23-A2044F5A5CB5.jpeg

Would actually make a lot of sense on my VH since you don't want the bottom tight at all and the second and third eyelet from the top is the only part I'd say was "tight". 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... just got an email asking me if I want to substitute the Shock Doctor steel cup in place of the Kevlar. Seems that people are reporting that the kevlar cup is uncomfortable.

I am digging through the threads, but did anyone else get the same email? What did you go with? I feel like the kevlar comfort issues could be fixed with some additional foam around the edges or something. They specifically said that it was the edges where it meets the body.

Anyone with experience with either type, please chime in! My personal experiences are with the Bike which the shock doctor looks like in shape and a banana which has more of the shape that the kevlar one appears to have.

Edited by Taco

34 minutes ago, Taco said:

Hmm... just got an email asking me if I want to substitute the Shock Doctor steel cup in place of the Kevlar. Seems that people are reporting that the kevlar cup is uncomfortable.

I am digging through the threads, but did anyone else get the same email? What did you go with? I feel like the kevlar comfort issues could be fixed with some additional foam around the edges or something. They specifically said that it was the edges where it meets the body.

Anyone with experience with either type, please chime in! My personal experiences are with the Bike which the shock doctor looks like in shape and a banana which has more of the shape that the kevlar one appears to have.

I got the same email and decided to take the Shock Doctor one. I ordered mine with the extra pad so I think it’s going to be enough protection for sure. 

Has anyone gotten their Junk Trunk yet? I preordered on the second day and still no dice. A while back I emailed and was quoted “two weeks” then when 3 weeks went by I emailed again and was told there was a problem with the elastic supplier. Then I got the email about the cup issue. 

I’m good with them making sure it’s made right and functions well of course, but it would be nice to have at least a reasonable ballpark estimate of delivery times. 

33 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Has anyone gotten their Junk Trunk yet? I preordered on the second day and still no dice. A while back I emailed and was quoted “two weeks” then when 3 weeks went by I emailed again and was told there was a problem with the elastic supplier. Then I got the email about the cup issue. 

I’m good with them making sure it’s made right and functions well of course, but it would be nice to have at least a reasonable ballpark estimate of delivery times. 

Welcome to ordering from Monster Hockey. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

You've read this thread right? :P

Has anyone tried the new Hal Carbon?  I liked the idea of having a small tab at the end, as my older Hal's were sewn right up to the edge.  So I ordered a pair to try out.

The leather material is much thinner and cheaper.  Velcro material seems a little less substantial.  After only about 5 games I was getting dressed, and the knot in the cord pulled through the hole in the strap.  They were at the same length as my previous set, so no added stress or additional tightness.  It looks as though due to the thinner and cheaper leather the knot in the cord just worked itself out through the hole.  Never had any type of similar issue in 2 years of having my previous Hals.  

Very disappointed in these new Hal's.

Figured I should post this since I actually didn't have any issues with durability.  8 months of use, the blue jenpro tabs are ones that I added to better lace them to my 1S pads, and the slits I added to thread my knee elastics through. 

My main issue is that they are just a little too sloppy.  Partly because 1S knee blocks are a little sloppy on their own, but also they just didn't quite line up and didn't follow my original design at all.  The default design isn't super great for 1S installation either.  If I had a pad that lent itself to an easier Fazio spec installation, I might recommend them, but it's kind of hard on a pad like this.

Going to take the nash parts with the maltese inside and use them as spacers/inserts in my knee pads to fill those out a bit.

20180603_193052.jpg

20180603_193128.jpg

To anyone interested, I gave the Piper skate straps a shot a pickup today. 

I tried these on my VH 1pc skates and found that I simply can’t get them tight enough around my ankle for them to be usable for me, so it’ll be back to laces. That said, it is a well-made product - all the parts look and feel plenty durable - and might really work well for someone who doesn’t tie their laces super tight.

I will tell you that once installed, its amazing how quickly you can get your skates done while getting dressed. Plus you have the benefit of being able to flip the tongue all the way out so, particularly with VH skates that are tightly molded to the foot, it really helps get the foot in and out.

The concept of using the elastic cord on the bottom part is great - I don’t tie too tight down there anyway. The upper strap does what it says it does, but even cut down to the smallest setting I can’t get my ankle area tight enough for my liking. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I won't be making this mistake again for any of their products. Quick, somebody say "I told you so". ?

To be fair, when I ordered something from them a year or two ago, things went super smooth.

I'm guessing the factory elves <either theirs or the ones making the material they use> went on strike. Meanwhile, there is a new logo and an increase in social media presence.

4 hours ago, Taco said:

Well...I won't be making this mistake again for any of their products. Quick, somebody say "I told you so". ?

To be fair, when I ordered something from them a year or two ago, things went super smooth.

I'm guessing the factory elves <either theirs or the ones making the material they use> went on strike. Meanwhile, there is a new logo and an increase in social media presence.

I told you so....lol 

It so said how that company operates, let along continues to operate. His proioiritis are all wrong and he seems to pick and choose his customers. Anyone from the GGSU Facebook page he seems to go nuts for, that's his main priority is people off that site. Everyone else is left behind and gets at the excuses or gets terribly made products.  I understand he has health issues but at least be upfront with paying customers about deleys and problems. When he stared it seem like it was going to be a great company with a great products but everything seems to have snowballed down hill since.

• Like 1

Wish I would've found this thread earlier. I ordered a pair of toe straps and shoulder harness exactly a month ago and still haven't seen them. The only communication I have received is when I asked for some tracking a week after my order and they said I should see my order in 2 weeks. I paid with Paypal so I have opened up a dispute so we will see if they respond or if Paypal just refunds my money. I don't really have an issue with the waiting but the lack of communication is pathetic.

They shut down for a while to do a Humboldt charity thing.

Some folks have gotten emails about a "moving sale" which is weird to me, because they made a big hub-bub about moving into a new building a few months ago.

Jeff has also taken some time off for health issues, hope he is OK.

I feel bad for Jeff’s health issues and wish him a speedy recovery, but it’s not excuse to mistreat people. If he’s running a real business, maybe he needs to delicate responsibility to a GM or something and let them focus on righting the ship. 

I also know one of IG followers, who plays a very high level, got the cup and said it’s a joke. Not even testing it on ice and he’s back to the Vaughn 

Well that's not good... for me, it was an impulse buy for something that I was sort of unhappy with. I like the maltese idea with the outer shield...I'll probably try it out a time or two and if it sucks, I'll use the kevlar cup in something else and repurpose the maltese gel that is inside the outer shield into extra padding. I might be able to use some of it on my old Brown 553 that i love and have sitting by the wayside.

Le sigh... ?

On 6/28/2018 at 9:06 AM, Taco said:

Well that's not good... for me, it was an impulse buy for something that I was sort of unhappy with. I like the maltese idea with the outer shield...I'll probably try it out a time or two and if it sucks, I'll use the kevlar cup in something else and repurpose the maltese gel that is inside the outer shield into extra padding. I might be able to use some of it on my old Brown 553 that i love and have sitting by the wayside.

Le sigh... ?

That's 1 person's opinion. Could be Epic! Please share your thoughts when (if) it ever arrives 

Will do! Hoping it works out, it'd be nice to not have to buy another cup!

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...the service might be annoying, but I'll keep an open mind. I do use their HAL elastic toe ties. I had one slip out, but I tied a giant knot in it and forced it back into the material.

Their headbands were OK until I tried the most recent Bauer ones. My dog ended up getting ahold of a band or two and there was no need to get more. Back when I used a boot strap, I had their version of the elastic going, but I decided to ditch the boot strap and have been happier without one.

Edited by Taco

On 6/28/2018 at 4:06 PM, Taco said:

Will do! Hoping it works out, it'd be nice to not have to buy another cup!

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...the service might be annoying, but I'll keep an open mind. I do use their HAL elastic toe ties. I had one slip out, but I tied a giant knot in it and forced it back into the material. 

Their headbands were OK until I tried the most recent Bauer ones. My dog ended up getting ahold of a band or two and there was no need to get more. Back when I used a boot strap, I had their version of the elastic going, but I decided to ditch the boot strap and have been happier without one.

You may find that over time, that giant knot is going to pull through the hole in the HAL strap.

My recommendation is to get a neoprene or rubber washer from your local Home Depot/Lowes/whatever and rest it between the knot and the HAL tie.
I believe Monster uses 3/8" diameter shock cord, you'll want to find something in that range to fit the elastic cord.

The washer helps distribute the load better across the surface of the material they use (it's not Jenpro or Clarino.  It's much thinner).  Having a (mostly) flat shape is going to be better than a round knot.