Graf Cowling Swap

ThatCarGuy

Yep, another cowling mod thread by ThatCarGuy. Woo.

So, call me insane but I would like to swap the stock Graf cowlings (which are in pretty good condition) on my Supra G5500s to something along the lines of a Bauer One100 or CCM Prolite (G) cowling on my skates. I still don't trust cowlingless so I would like to keep some sort of toe protection. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

-T

• 1 month later...

@Harman It's not really what I don't like about the Graf cowlings, it's more about what I know can be improved. Maybe I'll just stick with the cheaper option and get some STEP steel. As for the RBK cowlings, they seemed to have too low of a pitch for my taste (I had a set awhile back). Looking online, it looks like the RBK cowlings fit most boots so I would assume that most cowlings fit the RBK boot, but I'm not sure and haven't tried this so take it with a grain of salt.

• 9 months later...

Bringing back this one so I can find out...

Has anyone used both the Graf and Vertexx cowling and can give some feedback on the functional/feel differences? We can all see the physical differences, shorter blade vs longer blade, rounded toe vs squared toe, but I need more detailed and practical info.

3 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Bringing back this one so I can find out...

Has anyone used both the Graf and Vertexx cowling and can give some feedback on the functional/feel differences? We can all see the physical differences, shorter blade vs longer blade, rounded toe vs squared toe, but I need more detailed and practical info.

I have now used both the One80 cowling (with step steel) and the graf cowling. I feel that the Bauer cowling is lighter than the graf cowling which makes edge work a little easier. I don’t have the numbers but it feels lighter. The long blade allows for a better edge to the point where sometimes I just use my toe rather than the whole skate.  With the price cut on the graf cowling there is virtually no attack angle gain using the vertexx cowling. Stock graf steel also isn’t super high quality (they felt dull compared to step steel even after a fresh sharpening). Personally I prefer the Bauer cowling in every way over the graf. The graf cowling is pitched pretty far forward compared the the Bauer cowling as well. I think the Bauer cowling is also stiffer than the graf which gives it a more connected feel.

7 hours ago, benner33 said:

I have a pair of DM1050’s that I’ve been thinking of getting holders that will work with taller steel has anyone used the DM1050’s without a cowling?

Not recommended.  That boot is very soft, I'm not sure you'll get enough support.

12 hours ago, benner33 said:

Really I want taller steel having a cowling isn’t a deal breaker. Perhaps a CCM or Bauer one would fit? Wish step made extreme for Graf cowlings :(

There are people using the toe caps from Vertexx cowlings on skates with holders.

There are a few solutions to add on the protection afforded by a cowling on a boot made for a cowling. All solutions would be custom.

Grafs would not take that much work to go cowling-free as they have an outsole and a thicker toe cap, but it’s the protection afforded by a built up boot it is missing. Again- it could be done, but the added protection would be a custom solution. 

You could easily switch cowlings. From what I understand, Step has ceased making Extreme steel for all cowls, so what is in the wild is what you can get. Good thing I bought five sets of Extreme for my Vaughn cowls...

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

There are people using the toe caps from Vertexx cowlings on skates with holders.

There are a few solutions to add on the protection afforded by a cowling on a boot made for a cowling. All solutions would be custom.

Grafs would not take that much work to go cowling-free as they have an outsole and a thicker toe cap, but it’s the protection afforded by a built up boot it is missing. Again- it could be done, but the added protection would be a custom solution. 

You could easily switch cowlings. From what I understand, Step has ceased making Extreme steel for all cowls, so what is in the wild is what you can get. Good thing I bought five sets of Extreme for my Vaughn cowls...

Yeah I’m unsure if it would be worth all that (price wise at my LHS) vs just getting new skates but I just broke in my Grafs the way I like them and wouldn’t even be thinking about it if I didn’t try out a friends True skates and loved the extra attack angle. 

On 11/7/2019 at 9:08 PM, benner33 said:

Really I want taller steel having a cowling isn’t a deal breaker. Perhaps a CCM or Bauer one would fit? Wish step made extreme for Graf cowlings :(

A possible solution would be to pick up a pair of Vertexx 2.0 cowlings with Step Extreme steel. That will put you at an overall height on par with anything else out there, plus you get the benefit of the Vertexx cutout to improve attack angle. I had mine on a pair of Trues for a while before moving on to a cowlingless skate. 

If your skates happen to need a size 7 cowling, I still have my set (with Extreme steel) is excellent shape if you’re interested. 

Bummer mine are size 9.5s and size 9 steel according to Graf but yeah really it seems like a waste to get new skates when I just want taller steel. Working with a coach on modern butterfly stuff has made me want the tallest I can try. 

How hard would it be for me to DIY that assuming I find the right parts as suggested. 

46 minutes ago, benner33 said:

Bummer mine are size 9.5s and size 9 steel according to Graf but yeah really it seems like a waste to get new skates when I just want taller steel. Working with a coach on modern butterfly stuff has made me want the tallest I can try. 

How hard would it be for me to DIY that assuming I find the right parts as suggested. 

I use t-nuts to install my cowls rather than rivets. The hardest part is removal, UNLESS your Graf skates use screws to hold the cowlings on. If that is the case, easy on, easy off. Higher end Graf use (Or at least used to use) screws rather than rivets. If you can easily remove the cowls, you could remove your cowlings and check the fit of a new cowl. Keep this in mind: the larger toe cap can make the fit of a cowl go up by half a size. 

I swapped Graf cowlings out for Vertexx a while back... worked fine. It was my baby step towards cowlingless by going to 3mm steel. Much lighter... didn’t notice a difference in protection at all... there was slightly more flex though. Nothing some extra rivets wouldn’t fix. Skate pitch felt nearly identical as well. I used this setup for 6 months or so then purchased S190s. 

Graf 750 Pro Goalers in white... initially purchase when in a pinch after breaking a Graf cowling at the steel holder... was easier to find new skates (on sale at that) than new cowlings that I could get shipped next day. Worked out well... and great looking!! 🤩 I swapped out the Cobra cowling for the Vertexx myself a few months after use on the stock.

0169C4B5-75C2-47F6-8200-D0AD7739D7C3.thumb.jpeg.99685bceafb39ce107dddfee26db75f8.jpegBA9EFD3F-FF04-4AE4-B69A-2B0B96D6BBD7.thumb.jpeg.475251d7b968ae15257e9600c3985335.jpeg9F719FC2-243E-4159-A109-66B6592E91D7.thumb.jpeg.b3d60a377770411ffbb8a077c06d4b9e.jpeg96B2A73B-354B-41B8-9D4F-BA6E5EE2C4CE.thumb.jpeg.b187dcc893870718cda0b0b0df003ebc.jpeg

On 11/9/2019 at 9:33 AM, BadAngle41 said:

I swapped Graf cowlings out for Vertexx a while back... worked fine. It was my baby step towards cowlingless by going to 3mm steel. Much lighter... didn’t notice a difference in protection at all... there was slightly more flex though. Nothing some extra rivets wouldn’t fix. Skate pitch felt nearly identical as well. I used this setup for 6 months or so then purchased S190s. 

Graf 750 Pro Goalers in white... initially purchase when in a pinch after breaking a Graf cowling at the steel holder... was easier to find new skates (on sale at that) than new cowlings that I could get shipped next day. Worked out well... and great looking!! 🤩 I swapped out the Cobra cowling for the Vertexx myself a few months after use on the stock.

0169C4B5-75C2-47F6-8200-D0AD7739D7C3.thumb.jpeg.99685bceafb39ce107dddfee26db75f8.jpegBA9EFD3F-FF04-4AE4-B69A-2B0B96D6BBD7.thumb.jpeg.475251d7b968ae15257e9600c3985335.jpeg9F719FC2-243E-4159-A109-66B6592E91D7.thumb.jpeg.b3d60a377770411ffbb8a077c06d4b9e.jpeg96B2A73B-354B-41B8-9D4F-BA6E5EE2C4CE.thumb.jpeg.b187dcc893870718cda0b0b0df003ebc.jpeg

I think the more similar pitch could be due to the steel on the cobra cowlings. There’s less steel near the back where as the vertexx steel height is consistent the whole way through

On 11/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

@thebigm lets hear some more about those beautiful Graf skates that were posted on @TheGoalNet's IG today!!!

They are a pk7700 Goal skate.  Nash liner, extra jenpro on the heel so I don't cut the the heal up super quick. He recessed the stitching by toe where the skates rub.

Regular foot-bed not there fancy one as my feet don't like any arch pressure.

I chose the XSG holder as they have a better system than the Bauer trigger. Plus I can still get 4mm blades for them.  I also like the blade shape as well as it's very similar to what I was using before.

I also chose graf skates as I don't have a need for a super stiff skate.  I will be getting a new True skate this year as well as they made the skate lighter and you can get the option to put your own holder on as they have not re-designed the new goalie holder only the player holder.

* WIll do a review in Dec when I have used them a bunch.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, thebigm said:

They are a pk7700 Goal skate.  Nash liner, extra jenpro on the heel so I don't cut the the heal up super quick. He recessed the stitching by toe where the skates rub.

Regular foot-bed not there fancy one as my feet don't like any arch pressure.

I chose the XSG holder as they have a better system than the Bauer trigger. Plus I can still get 4mm blades for them.  I also like the blade shape as well as it's very similar to what I was using before.

I also chose graf skates as I don't have a need for a super stiff skate.  I will be getting a new True skate this year as well as they made the skate lighter and you can get the option to put your own holder on as they have not re-designed the new goalie holder only the player holder.

* WIll do a review in Dec when I have used them a bunch.

I haven't heard of the PK goal skate.  They don't advertise it on their website, just the DM series.  How do these boots compare to the DM1080 and the G7500?  I know you already answered my question about this on the IG post(thank you for clarifying that) but just so the info is here for our readers too, the blade is a 4mm blade shaved down at the top to fit the 3mm holder.  Can you post some pictures here of the modifications you mentioned?  Can't wait to see your review!

Archived