1S Skates, My toe ties keep coming undone!?

jevi3

I cannot figure out why my toe ties keep coming undone during games.  I've been tying them the same way for 15 years and never had this problem with any other skates.  For the life of me I cannot figure out why this happens....I've worn them 6 times and every skate they came untied and I end up stepping on the laces.  I've tried different weaving through the holder, I taped the laces, and I tried using wax laces.  I just don't get it.

Ahhh.  I would recommend moving to a bungee style.  I know a lot of us here love Pro Laces, especially their Armor line.  Kenesky is now also making a line of custom bungee straps (not on their website, you would need to email Mike or Dave)

How are you routing the laces?  That's likely part of the issue.

There's a great tutorial here for the Warrior GT pads that @Kirk3190 did that may help (Skip to 2:21)

Method that works for me is: VERY long laces, waxed, double overhand knot at the bridge, 3" of slack & double overhand knot that butts against the fromt of my cowling, crossed through every opening, twice behind the heel and over the boot and double knot on top of the boot.  Like the picture but twice around the back.

That being said, if you've done them the same way for 15 years and they now just start to come undone and it's systematic, problem might be with the skate themselves, althought I couldn't figure out, for the life of me, what factors in for these particular skates!

Bauer.jpg

I've never went around the back of the holder, but I will try that............The only thing I think is the cause is the smoothness of the holder, and the laces are sliding as I'm moving around, its strange, never happened with my Supreme 7000s, Grafs, Reeboks, and Bauer Reactors, that is why this is puzzling to me, but I think now I have some good ideas.  I really cannot see going back to older skates now that I have experienced the pushing power of no cowling.

Yeah... i can't see that having anything to do with your skates directly. The previous cowling skates you had may have had the pad sit differently (slightly higher on the cowling) so it wasn't contacting the knot before. Now that the cowling is gone the pad may be rubbing the knot open... highly doubtful... but this is all i got.

1. Holding Power - Switch to some waxed laces?
  2. Knot Strength - Time to start tying your laces by yourself instead of employing a 3 year old to do it for you.
  3. Change your Game - I made the switch to the Velcro game via Pro Laces... yeah it's sorta old man style but it works DAGNABIT.

Yeah, it would seem if the knot you tie on top of your skate is coming untied, that has nothing to do with the skate.  It's some sort of friction from the bottom of your pad.

I'd have to think that if you tie a double/triple knot and then put clear sock tape over it, wrapped around your skate, that'd be nearly impossible to come undone.

Archived