Easton Mako as goal skates

daffy

I've seen some guys convert Easton mako skates into goal skates. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them. Wondering how the fit is with the Easton skate. Looking for a pair of boots that will fit to a narrow foot without having to go custom. My search for any remaining Graf Narrow width boots has been fruitless so thought maybe this is an option?

OK – I need to ask this. I don’t know if I am missing something or…

A traditional goalie skate is made up of a boot, cowling, blade holder and blade. I believe a lot (most?) of the time the cowling and blade holder are one piece.

I have a pair of CCM V04s – a bit dated so things may have changed, but, in order to remove the boot from the cowling, it appears you would have to remove (drill out or file the heads off) a bunch of rivets (in the case of my skates probably ~ 10). Is that what you guys do when you swap a boot/cowling?  If so, I am assuming the rivet holes in the old boot and new cowling probably don’t match. If that’s the case, do you re-punch new holes in one or the other?

On 4/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, Ghostender said:

OK – I need to ask this. I don’t know if I am missing something or…

A traditional goalie skate is made up of a boot, cowling, blade holder and blade. I believe a lot (most?) of the time the cowling and blade holder are one piece.

I have a pair of CCM V04s – a bit dated so things may have changed, but, in order to remove the boot from the cowling, it appears you would have to remove (drill out or file the heads off) a bunch of rivets (in the case of my skates probably ~ 10). Is that what you guys do when you swap a boot/cowling?  If so, I am assuming the rivet holes in the old boot and new cowling probably don’t match. If that’s the case, do you re-punch new holes in one or the other?

Sometimes, a few of the holes line up. But other times, they don't and you have to drill. I use the holes in the cowling for where I drill. I know some will drill where ever. I only do that when applying extra rivets. I use T nuts. The only reason why I asked others if I should enlist a pro to install my Vaughn cowling is because this is a relatively large cowling going onto a smaller skate!

My at home way of removing black rivets is to pry the mushroomed "claws", and then I use a claw hammer to pull the rivets the rest of the way. Sometimes, I will punch the rivets out with a drill bit and hammer when it is removed from the back of the skate. 

Coppers- I take a Dremel and grind off the tip. Take breaks or you will burn through the cowling, as it takes a bit to cut a copper. Now- if someone has a better "at home" way with common hand and power tools, please share!

50 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

OK - thanks for the input. I figured it was pretty labour intensive, so just wanted to ensure I wasn't missing anything - i.e. "there's this hidden clip that allows you to remove the cowling form the boot in 5 seconds..."

Higher end Graf and Vaughn use T nuts. That allows quick removal. I removed the cowls from my Vaughn in less than five minutes for both boots. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wear 'em.  Mako 2's in a Bauer cowling.  Great skate for me.  

Removable tendon guard, once its take off your tendon is a tad exposed but i wear the kevlar cut socks, slap a cowling on and skate bake. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Thanks for info guys. I'll have to see if there are any local as width is always a concern. I might look at the Graf 7500 as per my skate issue thread as I've done a few searches and the Mako might be tough to find.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 1:08 AM, bc30 said:

Have your local shop remove the forward blades - they have a tool for it, the same one they use when installing new blades. No need to work that hard on removal.

I get what you're saying; but 9/10'will charge a King's ransom 'cos they have the tools!!!!

Ok, found a pair I think might work but concerned about sizing. I'm a size 8 in Graf 750s and in Bauers. Does Easton Mako fit similar, smaller,larger? Any help appreciated. Been trying to find local but nothing available to try on.

On 5/29/2017 at 5:38 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I get what you're saying; but 9/10'will charge a King's ransom 'cos they have the tools!!!!

It shouldn't be that much, and a good shop might even do it for free if they value your business. Should only take about ten minutes. I wouldn't risk the damage a dremel might do

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2017 at 3:20 PM, daffy said:

Ok, found a pair I think might work but concerned about sizing. I'm a size 8 in Graf 750s and in Bauers. Does Easton Mako fit similar, smaller,larger? Any help appreciated. Been trying to find local but nothing available to try on.

How is that possible? I tried an older Graf model in a shop, same size as my Bauers and could barely fit or extend my toes. This Graf sizing thing/differences is driving me nuts.

Were Eastons what Wogtech was wearing in that instructional video he's known for?

@MTH as requested.  Yes im in Vaughn cowlings.  I like the lowest and longest blade possible.  29' profile on them with forward pitch.  I have at least another 5 pairs of steel to go through.  Made sure to stock up.

I call the Makos a poor mans VH/True.  If these didnt work out, i would have had to go full custom for my narrow feet.  Luckily with Stable 26 socks and the way these molded around my foot, it all worked out.

20181211_132957.jpg

20181211_132938.jpg

20 hours ago, daffy said:

@MTH as requested.  Yes im in Vaughn cowlings.  I like the lowest and longest blade possible.  29' profile on them with forward pitch.  I have at least another 5 pairs of steel to go through.  Made sure to stock up.

I call the Makos a poor mans VH/True.  If these didnt work out, i would have had to go full custom for my narrow feet.  Luckily with Stable 26 socks and the way these molded around my foot, it all worked out.

20181211_132957.jpg

20181211_132938.jpg

Love the uniqueness of this skate. You should update with the a CCM cowling and I think it would be really killer.

And yes, this does have a tie to VH. This skate was started by Scott Van Horne and called MLX. MLX was acquired by Easton and they tried to make a mass produced version of his technology. I know lots of people were sad that Bauer canned this technology during the acquisition.

@TheGoalNet Hence the poor man VH label since they are Scott's work.  I was thinking next cowling might be a CCM cowling.  Lots of Vaughn steel to go through first though.  I even found a pair of black pro custom Step steel for these.  They will go on next. 

To top these skates off, i use Graf Sidas footbeds.  Totally unique. I go in to pick up my skates when sharpened and they all know what pair im talking about right away.  

Next skate will be custom.  If Graf ever comes out with a fulk custom program, i will consider.

At one point I'd bought a pair of Makos to convert, but didn't like how the lack of tendon guard felt because of the big space around the achilles. I ended up saying screw it and ordered VH. I actually saw a photo a couple years ago of somebody who had made something with neoprene to fill in that space. That would have been better.

I still wear Makos for player skates, though. 

Archived