Warrior GT Classic Sizing - Getting Back In the Game

Jgravzy39

Keepers!

I'm extremely happy that I stumbled onto this page while researching my first new set in nearly a decade. I'll do my best to keep this short. I'm hoping some people with personal experience can guide me into a 'correct' decision.

Looking to get into a set of Warrior GT Classic, but I'm having trouble deciding what size makes the most sense for my game/size. I'm right between where the Warrior Sizing guide recommends a 32+1.5" and 33+1.5". I'm a hair over 5'7" with a FTK of 19.25".

In high school, with growth anticipation (lol), I was in a set of Vaughn V3 7500s at 35+1". After never hitting a growth spurt, we made some minor configurations to make the pads 'work'. I'm used to pads being loose and sitting very low as a result. But it's been about 6 years since getting shot at, so I figure now is the best time to get into a new set of properly-fit pads and build new muscle memory.

I'll be playing 2-3 week in men's league and random ice time. I'm a predominately butterfly goalie with some hybrid tendencies.

Through my research I've found a common consensus to be - Warriors are stiffer (which is fine for me) and they sit a bit higher on boot than typical (can anyone confirm?). 

Does anyone have any knowledge/recommendations on which route I should go - 32+1.5" or 33+1.5"? 

My fear is that since I'm used to a bigger pad, the 32+1.5" will seem like an extreme difference. But I'm not sure if the stiffer, .5" and higher boot sit might make it closer to a 32+2". 

Any suggestions, questions, feedback, personal stories, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for any and all help. I'm excited to be a part of the group!

Thank you!

blobid0.png

I’m a 19.5” FTK and I wear a 33+1.5”.  The reason for the size difference is how pads are built now plus the difference in boot angles.

i also wear no boot strap so my pads sit a little higher on my leg.

You will definitely need a few skates to adjust to the pads.  The GTs are built to be stiff in the boot and thigh rise but have traditional feel in terms of torsional flex

So I'm in a set of R/GT's. My FTK is 19.8". So I'm on the cusp just as you are.

I could wear either one tbh but the 33's are a slightly better fit. The ARS toe straps that come with the pads make them hug your foot pretty well. Couple that with the slight boot riser Warrior pads have and you'll be fine with the lower sizing.

Ultimately, go try one in store if possible and decide for yourself.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So I'm in a set of R/GT's. My FTK is 19.8". So I'm on the cusp just as you are.

I could wear either one tbh but the 33's are a slightly better fit. The ARS toe straps that come with the pads make them hug your foot pretty well. Couple that with the slight boot riser Warrior pads have and you'll be fine with the lower sizing.

Ultimately, go try one in store if possible and decide for yourself.

Closest hockey shop to me is about 5 hours away, unfortunately. But your information is ... unbelievably helpful. I'm loving this place already. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I’m a 19.5” FTK and I wear a 33+1.5”.  The reason for the size difference is how pads are built now plus the difference in boot angles.

i also wear no boot strap so my pads sit a little higher on my leg.

You will definitely need a few skates to adjust to the pads.  The GTs are built to be stiff in the boot and thigh rise but have traditional feel in terms of torsional flex

At one point I was in a Pro Premier II, so I'm sure I'll be able to adjust - I mean it's been forever enough to have forgotten feel in general. How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I am a 19.5 FTK and have wore 33+1.5 in the G3 and GT lines, but felt like I could go a little bigger so my current G4's are 34 +1.5 which gives me a little more 5 hole coverage without sacrificing much mobility.  The 34's fit me fine, so I think the size chart is a little conservative and you might be better off in the 33's if you think you might want more coverage.

50 minutes ago, Jgravzy39 said:

At one point I was in a Pro Premier II, so I'm sure I'll be able to adjust - I mean it's been forever enough to have forgotten feel in general. How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

5'9". But height really has zero to do with your pads.  I have a 29" inseam, and a longer torso.  At worst you may want to look at custom for a little more on the thigh rise.

12 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I am a 19.5 FTK and have wore 33+1.5 in the G3 and GT lines, but felt like I could go a little bigger so my current G4's are 34 +1.5 which gives me a little more 5 hole coverage without sacrificing much mobility.  The 34's fit me fine, so I think the size chart is a little conservative and you might be better off in the 33's if you think you might want more coverage.

Interesting. I really appreciate the info. I'm thinking if worst comes to worst, I'd rather have more than less and can always adjust to bring things down if necessary. Thanks again. Extremely helpful.

Archived